More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Internet Advancement SEO?
    Just got propositioned by a SEO firm Internet Advancement.
    They will get you top 10 rankings in exchange for $2400 + $100/mo (ouch!).

Anybody hear of them? The fellow on the phone had me look at the metatags of a site www. diamondcutjeans . com and it seems almost like keyword spamming.

I would hate to shell out all the money only to have my site banned. I am just curious what you all have to say. I have already made up my mind against this type of cash outlay.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    How long have you been at ABW? Not trying to be rude but c'mon. I can't believe we still have these types of threads.

Cool
    we need to collect outrageous offers (like, we're all so new) for laffs anyway

Should I move this to the Daily Chuckle?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Yes

They contacted you?
    Must be a real great company if they have to solicit people for business. I would imagine if they really do what they claim people would be contacting them for business and they would be MORE expensive.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

I get e-mail like that but I always delete it.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    From the link above, daily chuckle worthy:

Meta tags are the keys to getting rankings

Internet Advancement will submit my site bi-monthly to the 16 major search engines

Internet Advancement will also submit my site monthly to 8500 minor search engines

Link popularity is not (as I had presumed) a measurement of the links around the web pointing to a given site/page, but a point system based on how many minor search engines list you - if you don't submit to these sites, you can drop out of the big engines, too.

What I am wondering about is whether or not these guys are "Black Hat" (See page source of www.diamondcutjeans . com) as opposed to being simply very expensive and not worth the risk.

I learned a while back that cold calls to my home nearly always drain my wallet and waste my time.

Kind of funny - the guy on the phone did not know what "contextual advertising" was.
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

It's not really black hat (Diamondcut site), but it sure is crappy. It is spammy, and it misuses the description tag.

Two other points:

1.) They SHOULD have told Diamondcut to put some spiderable text on the homepage. Talk about devalued metatags.

2.) Internet Advancement's homepage has a PageRank of ZERO. Gray Bar Hotel...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I doubt Goggle penalizes overstuffed or obscure (VW96.objecttype?) meta tags.
    More like dunce-cap than black hat.

"get you top 10 rankings in exchange for $2400 + $100/mo"

yeah but for what search terms?

"Bolder Dam Lemonade Stands" or "Stewart P. Jenkin's Junk Drawer"

Those examples are extreme in ease to get to the top but the point is who is going to type that in?

Completely Useless.

for a little while, I'd get a phone call from someone with a similar offer almost every time I registered a domain name. I think they always assumed you had only one.

Quote Originally Posted by dsteitz
    "get you top 10 rankings in exchange for $2400 + $100/mo"

yeah but for what search terms?

"Bolder Dam Lemonade Stands" or "Stewart P. Jenkin's Junk Drawer"

Those examples are extreme in ease to get to the top but the point is who is going to type that in?

Completely Useless.
    Actually for the site they pointed out (diamondcutjeans), they got top ratings for "mens jeans" (searched 148 times per day according to WordTracker), "womens jeans" (65 per day) and a few others. For just "jeans" the site is #12 on google where "jeans" is searched 3000+ times a day (according to WT). So yes, they are getting meaningful traffic to this site.

The setup fee is way out of my budget and I would fear that their methods could backfire or fairly quickly lose their effectiveness after an algorithm change or SE update resulting is a big loss of money or worse yet a de-listing of my site. Also, the internet is littered with complaints about these people, as some of you here have pointed out. It sounds like if their methods do not work, you may have a hard time getting a refund (as mentioned at this blog.
    Last edited by Cheesehead; May 25th, 2006 at 07:21 AM.

Just remember Cheesehead, their google SERPS have ZERO to do with meta keywords. Any SEO company worth their salt will offer a competent linking strategy as well as content rewrites. Metatags are near pointless for Google SERPs.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    Just remember Cheesehead, their google SERPS have ZERO to do with meta keywords. Any SEO company worth their salt will offer a competent linking strategy as well as content rewrites. Metatags are near pointless for Google SERPs.
    Excellent point! Their methods probably will not work in the long run.

This co. ranks great for 'mens jeans' in Google

search G for allinanchor:mens jeans
    and they rank 1st
    so I think the good ranking is due to incoming links rather than 'meta tags'

links due to the SEO cos. work or somewhere else, who knows?

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread