Programming skills
    Hello,
    I'm new in affiliate marketing....and that's just being mild coz I'm actually planning to start. According to my research, I think I need to have a website. Do I need any programming skills? If yes, which exactly? How can I find out what my visitors are looking for or the products that sell? Site content....I'm getting confused.....what would be termed as optimum? Any ideas will be highly appreciated.
    Thanks

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tess
    Hello,
    I'm new in affiliate marketing....and that's just being mild coz I'm actually planning to start. According to my research, I think I need to have a website. Do I need any programming skills? If yes, which exactly? How can I find out what my visitors are looking for or the products that sell? Site content....I'm getting confused.....what would be termed as optimum? Any ideas will be highly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Hi Tess,

Welcome to the wonderful world of affiliate marketing.

I have absolutely NO programming skills. As a matter of fact, I RUN from programming and avoid having to know anything more difficult than cut/paste and basic HTML just to get by. I use FrontPage to build my sites and just mastering that was a pain. So no, you don't need programming skills unless you want to learn them.

You will have to research which merchants convert best on your site and switch them around until you find the best.

Site content just means the "content" you add to your site to make it yours, such as text, written product descriptions, recommendations, etc. Also can be a whole lot of information given away for free to get traffic. You can search for "content vs. sales sites here on ABW for some in depth arguments in favor of both. They both work, bottom line. Personally, I think a combination of both works best.

Mostly everything you're asking has already been discussed and answered to death on these boards. Search and start reading. You'll be here a long time but the knowledge you gain will be invaluable.

Feel free to ask specific questions when you're further into the game.

Good luck!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Hello,
    Thanks
    Tess, first you need to be able to build a site, then you figure out how to make money off of the site.
    I think I need to have a website.
    Yep

How do you define programming? Some people lump html into programming.

Html is handy to know and so is CSS or Cascading Style Sheets: each of these can contribute to your web design.

Visual elements will be important to your web design as well.

Is there any software that can help?
    If you know html you can write it yourself in Notepad or WordPad.

I use Dreamweaver because I like dealing with the code. Rexanne uses FrontPage. Dreamweaver is expensive but I believe they offer a demo.
    You might want to look at the freeware possibilites for html editors at CNET's Download.com

There are layout tutorials and templates available if you'd prefer not to design your own.

In terms of your site's visual appeal you might be interested in Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro or check out a freeware called GIMP
    There are other companies that sell similar software.

If you'd like to get into programming, try PHP and MySQL.

Try some Google searches & do some research. Read ABW
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Affiliate Manager
    Do I need any programming skills? If yes, which exactly? How can I find out what my visitors are looking for or the products that sell? Site content....I'm getting confused.....what would be termed as optimum? Any ideas will be highly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Programming skills can be helpful, but if you're not already experienced in programming it can also distract you from the main job of marketing.

Web programming is a commodity today, and if you need custom programming it may be more cost-effective to hire one of the experienced consultants here, or visit rent-a-coder, etc.

But do you really need custom programming? Many successful sites are built with off-the-shelf tools, freeing up the webmistress to focus on the things that require her unique talents: researching the market, and assembling a site that serves that market with compelling sales-oriented content.

The human side of the business is a full-time job in itself. If you're inclined to enjoy programming it's certainly useful and can even be fun, but if you don't have programming experience already you can usually get what you need with off-the-shelf tools, and possibly hiring a consultant if you need anything more specialized.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Hello,
    Thank you for giving me these great ideas...I started going thru' posts available in ABW and even forgot to say thanks. I'm finding out quit a lot of helpful infomation. I got myself learning some html and things are much better now....I'm not as thick as I was a week ago.
    Regards,
    T.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread