Network of Choice
    As a merchant - it is clear that the Bigger Boys on the Block are registered at CJ and Linkshare. When looking as a merchant...obviously there is a pull in that direction (at least CJ for a number good reasons).

Our Company is not a normal ecommerce site - and we won't be involved in any download applications so we can stay away from parasites, etc. on that end. Additionally, we have a pretty big incentive to create a win-win relaitionship with our affiliates, so I would like the program 100% trusted and clean.

The two questions I have are the following....

1. When considering the right Networks, it might be smarter to look at it through the eyes of an affiliate rather than as a merchant. Is this correct? And therefore SaS would make more sense?

2. Are merchants being pulled into CJ as a result of the other big names already there? Or is that the Affiliate potential of CJ greater than SaS?

Before we launch...I'd like to be clear on this. But please try to look at it as a merchant. I fail to see any Big Big names on SaS and thats a bit concerning...

You are right, that the big names are LS and CJ, I like both networks. I don't know what business your are in, but you may want to look at Performics as well. They usually work with merchants that want program management as well.

There's a similar thread here:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=73765

With your comments about avoiding parasites, seeking a win-win for affiliates, and seeing things from an affiliate perspective, it sounds like you'll do well whereever you go. Have you attended one of Andy's Affiliate Manager Certification Seminars? You could get a ton of other great tips and advice there. They're trying a new price point for the next seminar to try to increase attendance. It's about half the price of previous seminars.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Internet Cowboy
    With the current lunacy of CJ in them moving to a javascript linking system, I would stay far from them, especially if you will not be joining before June 23. If they implement the system they are touting, my guess is they will lose half of their top 20% of affilaites. All that will be left are newbies and parasites.

Linkshare rhymes with nightmare. This is no coincidence.

SAS is the best bet for any program. Dual a SAS program with a good presence here and you will reach the best affiliates and good numbers of affilaites. You will also not have to worry about slimeball affiliates sneaking in to your program.

ABW Ambassador
    What would be a great question to ask is this. If a merchant started on CJ after June 23 with js only links, how many affiliates will put them up? Not me.

Before we launch...I'd like to be clear on this. But please try to look at it as a merchant. I fail to see any Big Big names on SaS and thats a bit concerning...
    Hi MCO,

Whether you're a Big Name Merchant already, or on the way to become one, welcome to ABW.

When it comes to Big Big names on SaS, you might not find any familiar Big Big names there yet, but that would depends on what are you looking for as a Big Big Merchant Name.

I believe that even the super big Merchants that are a household name by now, started just as a regular brand new name merchant when they begin to sell anything.

Also, what's in a merchant name? - Even a Big Merchant Name doesn't mean anything, if we're not interested in what they sell for one reason or another.

While it's true that you may get more visitors to your store, even if they just go inside your store more to browse than to shop, when you have that store located inside a Big Shopping Mall, it's also true that you may get less visitors to your store, if you have that store located on a Small Shopping Center, but probably more of that Small Shopping Center visitors will buy more from you, because you have what they're looking for, and there is less competition for you in that Small Shopping Center.

The two questions I have are the following....

1. When considering the right Networks, it might be smarter to look at it through the eyes of an affiliate rather than as a merchant. Is this correct? And therefore SaS would make more sense?

2. Are merchants being pulled into CJ as a result of the other big names already there? Or is that the Affiliate potential of CJ greater than SaS?
    1.- To be honest, when considering the right Networks, it might be smarter to look at it through the eyes of an ethical and honest person if you're one ethical and honest person, regardless of what other merchants, and or affiliates say, and or do.

2.- Yes to that question, but remember this: "what's in a merchant name?"

Note: I'm not that good at typing what I want to say, but I think that I did ok on that example.

Btw MCO,

We may not get to know who you're [ or ] until you finally launch your affiliate program on SaS, CJ, or who knows where, but I and I think we all, hope that you're one of the good guys, regardless of where you decide to launch your affiliate program.

Good Luck!

Sal.

The big merchants aren't at SaS because they would lose all their cookie stuffing, high producing criminal affiliates

Edit: When I say High Producing, I mean on paper.... They actually lower the merchant ROI....
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Thanks guys...very helpful as usual.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    With the current lunacy of CJ in them moving to a javascript linking system, I would stay far from them, especially if you will not be joining before June 23. If they implement the system they are touting, my guess is they will lose half of their top 20% of affilaites. All that will be left are newbies and parasites.

Linkshare rhymes with nightmare. This is no coincidence.

SAS is the best bet for any program. Dual a SAS program with a good presence here and you will reach the best affiliates and good numbers of affilaites. You will also not have to worry about slimeball affiliates sneaking in to your program.
    What he said. I have no desire to putz around with Javascript links! I'll have to make my way over to the relevant thread and give CJ a righteous flaming for that one. As IF I'm going to put dynamic text links on a page and let merchants screw up my sales spin!!

I fail to see any Big Big names on SaS
    *cough* Checks Unlimited *cough*
    They're the first big name I've seen, but now that they've gone in, I expect more to follow.

(What, you don't think GoodBulbs is a Big Big Name?!? )

please try to look at it as a merchant.
    I have done!
    CJ's Todd Crawford once posted here that a merchant should have $250k/quarter in sales to even start thinking about going to CJ.

And for reasons not related to price, I wouldn't consider running on LinksNare if it was the last network on Earth.

So SAS it is.

And, with CJ currently trying to implode itself, I'd be prone to pick SAS even if my merchantside business was in the "big" category rather than a startup.

we won't be involved in any download applications so we can stay away from parasites, etc. on that end. Additionally, we have a pretty big incentive to create a win-win relaitionship with our affiliates, so I would like the program 100% trusted and clean.
    That's a definite reason to pick SAS. They're known for being antiparasitic. And, from posts here, it sounds like there's a lot more policing to do at CJ and LS. SAS doesn't let known paras in to begin with, which I would think makes it easier to run a clean program at SAS.

Of course, every network has its share of newbs, people who still think a banner farm works, personal sites, and the like. But, out of all that there will be a few who actually make sales.

As I understand it, it takes longer to get lots of affs in a program that's on SAS rather than CJ, but people have been quick to point out in the past that the quantity does not equal quality. In my experience there is a thin layer of cream, a slightly thicker layer of milk, and a ton of water.

Our Company is not a normal ecommerce site
    This is a bit off-topic, but:

Uh oh. That phrase often means that something/some service that's hard to sell is on the other side!

While true for every merchant, but for "non normal" merchants it's writ large: The key to success starts with your site, not the network. Make sure it's easy for customers to order/sign up/whatever you're after. Often unusual-type merchants expect magic from an aff program, and some do a lot to try to make a great program, but it doesn't work because their own site is anti-conversionary.

IF all the elements are there on your end, then an affiliate program should work. But if you've been getting thousands of hits/day, but no sales, having an aff program isn't going to fix that...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by MCO

It's good to look at everything you do from an affiliate p.o.v. Also consider the customer's perspective as well - they might have a different opinion of you when they see an affiliate link like CJ's convoluted aff links .vs. simpler links from SaS and others.

-Peter
    [URL=http://www.typoassassin.com/?utm_source=abestweb&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=p&utm_campaign=sig]Are these affiliates stealing from you?[/URL]

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread