Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Outsourced Program Manager Rick - Bitcom's Avatar
    Contest Ideas
    We want to run a contest based around content...a Content Contest. Catchy ha!

Anyway we need ideas and help from the great minds here at ABW.

We want to reward affiliates for adding new, GigaGolf focused content on their sites (or via their newsletters). We want to tie that new content to sales...add a new page and drive $xx with that page and get a prize. We also want to reward the top 2 or 3 affiliates each month with a larger prize.

Also some of the content will be available from us. Affiliates just have to adapt it to their sites.

Our questions are:

1. Does this sound interesting to affiliates?
    2. How do we track sales from particular pages?
    3. What kind of prizes would be good?

Thanks for your help in advance.

I think it's a great idea for golf driven sites. Tough to stand out in that crowd without good content.

Perhaps one of the prizes could be a round of golf, dinner and breakfast with Natalie Gulbis?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Great idea Noth. I'll give her a call.

Wait a minute I don't have her number. Anyone have Natalie's number?

Of course for the women we'll have to get Sergio or Adam Scott I guess. It's only fair.

Any more suggestions for who you want to play golf with?

Sorry, Noth, I just got the dinner and breakfast joke. I think breakfast will have to be up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by GigaGolf
    We want to reward affiliates for adding new, GigaGolf focused content on their sites (or via their newsletters). We want to tie that new content to sales...add a new page and drive $xx with that page and get a prize.
    My first impression - too narrow. Why would you want it to be that narrow? What importance does it make from what page they drive you a million $$$ in sales? Maybe I'm just not getting something... Tell me.

Thanks,

Geno

Sorry, Noth, I just got the dinner and breakfast joke...
    Noth is baaaad....

OOOPS just realized was an old POST, LOL GethsemeneRose's Avatar
    I was just talking the other day with some friends about what 3 people would you have dinner with if you could...for me it was: Alton Brown (he would cook it too) and Condi Rice (I want to know just who on earth she really is) and Tiger Woods (cause he is so focused and I want to understand how) so if you could get Tiger I suppose one out of three ain't bad.
    :gnome: [URL]www.gethsemenerose.com[/URL] :gnome: As for me and my SITE we shall serve the LORD!

Okay, I'll try to give a few answers

1. Does this sound interesting to affiliates?
    It should.
    I think a content contest would be a great incentive for all your affiliates to improve their sites

The object is to get as many affiliates as possible to improve their overall sites in terms of improving the content that sells your merchandise.
    Better web pages can result in higher sales (thus making every affiliate who participates in your contest a "winner").

2. How do we track sales from particular pages?
    Well, how do you usually track sales?

3. What kind of prizes would be good?
    Items from your Accessories & Gifts would be lasting mementos from this fun contest.

I would think that your top earner would get some kind of $ bonus.
    You might want to have a tier of top earning affiliates who get some kind of a cash bonus. You might wish to create a monetary incentive with something from your Accessories & Gifts Section (for example, one of your picture frames -- something along those lines).
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Thanks for asking Geno. It's a good question.

In our golf marketplace, our best affiliates not only make sales but add value to our brand. GigaGolf has a great product but we are not a well known like Callaway or Ping. The most successful affiliates for us are very golf content oriented. They know golf and create credibility for themselves and GigaGolf by being experts or at least being knowledgeable. We want to encourage more of that kind of presentation.

If you are not in the content camp this may not work for you. Our affiliates who have very loyal traffic and pretty good PR have been more in the content camp.

Not to say we don't have great shopping affiliates too. But this time of year our golf sites do very well.

If you can think of a better way to motivate our content affiliates I would be open to suggestion.

How about a wet golf shirt contest?

In our golf marketplace, our best affiliates not only make sales but add value to our brand. GigaGolf has a great product but we are not a well known like Callaway or Ping. The most successful affiliates for us are very golf content oriented. They know golf and create credibility for themselves and GigaGolf by being experts or at least being knowledgeable. We want to encourage more of that kind of presentation...
    I hear you now. Thanks for taking the time to explain the idea behind it.

Well... What I would then do is: reward affiliates that use your good content by higher commission, prizes, bonuses, etc, but not if they send a sale from one particular page. I'd rather reward them if they send you an X amount of sales or sales of a particular cumulative value and if they are pushing the content you want them to push - with your brand between the lines - on their sites. I still do not think it is good to limit qualifying sales to just sales coming from that one page... However, come to think of it, you could still do it, but then reward just the top-producing one (or top three in every month)... Just my

Geno

Thanks Geno

Once again thanks for your input.

Another part of this is we will be creating content ourselves and providing it to affiliates. This content will be golf club design and golf club buying related. Some will be general and some will be GigaGolf focused. We want to encourage affiliates to use it, so that was the other reason for the contest...if they use the content and drive xx amount of sales with it we offer a prize.

Does that help it make more sense?

I think that sound interesting but it would be hard to track individual sales from an originating page. Possible but you will have to do a lot of dataminng or if not, manual calculations.

That being said, why not have a contest that measures the margin of growth. NOt % value but $$ value.
    That would give the newbies more incentive to grow and add links, etc

Quote Originally Posted by ske9963
    I think that sound interesting but it would be hard to track individual sales from an originating page. Possible but you will have to do a lot of dataminng or if not, manual calculations.

That being said, why not have a contest that measures the margin of growth. NOt % value but $$ value.
    That would give the newbies more incentive to grow and add links, etc
    This is a good point. GigaGolf is on LS, and LS's tracking capabilities - at least for affiliates - sucks big time, maybe it's better for merchants.

Im any case, if you have a competition based on one special link, what would stop me from using that link all over my site instead on only your desired content site? Moreover, if I'd be 'bad', what would stop me from turning this link into a forced click? This way I likely win, though I guess I violate LS T&Cs.

My suggestion would be to reward the top 2-3 (content?) affiliates, but with the caveat that once you have won you are not eligible for a prize for the following say 3 month, irregardless of how well you do. This way it would be open for other producing but less successful affiliates, but I as affiliate would still push your links since I have another shot 3 month later (as would my competitors).

Does this make sense?

Cheers, Frank
    [URL=http://www.golfbeginnerguide.com/]Golf Beginner Guide[/URL] ; [URL=http://www.ladygolfersguide.com/]Lady Golfers Guide[/URL]

ske9963 I like your idea. Growth is really what we're after anyways.

So something like:
    Add a new page, and then whoever has x amount of sales growth during the month gets a prize..the top 3 with most growth get a grand prize.

Sounds like a winner and easy to track. What does everyone think?

Add a new page, and then whoever has x amount of sales growth during the month gets a prize..the top 3 with most growth get a grand prize.
    Can you define 'x amount of sales growth'?
    [URL=http://www.golfbeginnerguide.com/]Golf Beginner Guide[/URL] ; [URL=http://www.ladygolfersguide.com/]Lady Golfers Guide[/URL]

Thanks Frank. Your right of course.

So if the contest is based on sales growth, and not tied to a particular page or link, that would be easy to track and still motivate everyone.

Putting it all together:
    1. Put up a new content page. Can be from content GigaGolf provides or from affiliate.
    2. If any affiliate who puts up a page exceeds previous months sales volume by $xx, then $x prize.
    3. 3 affiliates with the largest dollar growth each month will win grand prize for that month.
    4. Contest would last x months. Each month would restart the prize train. Previous months winners not eligible

So how long should the contest last? Should it be ongoing? Just the rest of the golf season, or what?

What should the prize $ be. Is $25 enough for the 1st tier. What about the grand prize? Is $100 enough?...$200?

Frank, about the $x amount growth, perhaps just to get the first tier prize it could be $200-$300. Maybe less.

Grand prizes once again would be whoever did the best for the month.

1. Put up a new content page. Can be from content GigaGolf provides or from affiliate.
    2. If any affiliate who puts up a page exceeds previous months sales volume by $xx, then $x prize.
    3. 3 affiliates with the largest dollar growth each month will win grand prize for that month.
    4. Contest would last x months. Each month would restart the prize train. Previous months winners not eligible
    Sounds good to me, I think this will work well. $25 for first tier and $100 for top 3 seems viable (not knowing your budget, though), this way the contest should be sustainable for a longer time. More affiliates can have a shot at it to keep it fair.

Thanks Frank. Is there enough time to get this going for June?

Thanks Frank. Is there enough time to get this going for June?
    A dedicated email list to your affiliates would come in handy now, I think we discussed that earlier.
    I'm nimble enough to be always ready for a good competition, so bring it on...

Putting it all together:

So how long should the contest last? Should it be ongoing? Just the rest of the golf season, or what?

What should the prize $ be. Is $25 enough for the 1st tier. What about the grand prize? Is $100 enough?...$200?
    No 1 and 2 is hard to measure.
    How can u measure the contend page of an affialite and know if it is new or old contend that is generating the sales. Unless you have a crawler that crawls all of your affiliate pages, then only will you know if it is new or old. Another option to measure new contend, if you have a person you can asssign to do google search for a specific site for your keywords, you can measure the # of pages.

I know what you are trying to accomplish.. but i think that getting there based on solely getting people to push up new pages is really really hard to measure.

Best thing is to measure everythign based on a $$ reward and leave it to aff's creativity.. After all, we are here to make $$ for us and sale for you..

Thanks SKE9963. Sorry for not getting back sooner.

I think what you're saying is what we decided to do.

The affiliate puts up a new page with a GigaGolf focus. They can use our content or their own. That basically enters them in the contest.

From then on, sales are tracked, from any page, and they are rewarded for volume increases over previous month, and the affiliates with the most increase get a grand prize.

How does that sound?

Thanks for everyone's help with this, by the way.

Thanks SKE9963. Sorry for not getting back sooner.

I think what you're saying is what we decided to do.

The affiliate puts up a new page with a GigaGolf focus. They can use our content or their own. That basically enters them in the contest.

From then on, sales are tracked, from any page, and they are rewarded for volume increases over previous month, and the affiliates with the most increase get a grand prize.

How does that sound?

Thanks for everyone's help with this, by the way.
    Measuring volume is hard to do unless you set a growth volume based on different tier aff.

i.e Cos if i am new, growing by 100% is easy. If I am making $50k for you, growing by 100% is impossible.

I see your point. So a dollar amount growth won't work.

For example: Everyone who grows sales by $200 over previous month gets a $25 bonus. The top 3 largest amount of growth gets $100.

If that doesn't work, what do you suggest?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast