Question Blue Host Feedback
    Any comments on Blue Host?

I am currently using Godaddy's basic hosting. Since they have become better know through their ads, I think their performace has gone down. I think they have taken on more than they can handle. My sites seem to load slower, MySQL problems, etc. I have even had files in which the permissions changed on their own and I couldn't change them back. I had to contact them to do the changes. I also had an adsense site which I haden't checked in a while. It was showing as "PARKED". After contacting them, they told me to reset the nameservers. That didn't fix it. It was a MX record error which they had to fix. I never made any changes to the MX.

I just need a basic package with MySQl, PHP, Perl, Reliable, Good Performance, Support large datafeeds to MySQL. Live Chat for tech support with someone actually there would be great also.

Lilian at mydatafeedscript.com suggested Linksky

Yes, BlueHost is a great hosting company. For the price, they offer you a lot of flexibility and functionality. In all the time I've been with them, I've yet to have one single incident. Uptime has got to be 99.99999

Their support department works fast too. I asked a question one day and received a response in the same day.

Best of all, they run CPanel, which takes a bit of getting used to, but makes it all worth the while once you get the hang of it.

They also provide a pretty wide spectrum of technologies to fulfill your needs; PHP, Perl, MySQL, and a nice selection of free add-ons.

Noticed I'm a bit biased here?? Even though I've not had any problems with them, it doesn't mean there aren't any. It's just that my experiences are positive. Their reliability would almost justify doubling what I'm paying, and I'd pay it happily for that security.

Good luck picking one!
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

I use bluehost for a few sites and have been very happy with them.

One thing that many get frustrated at is that you cannot get shell access (SSH) without sending them a copy of your driver's license. They're the only host who I've ever seen that from.

ABW Ambassador
    I've seen very good recommendations for them, and their sales people get back with answers to questions really fast, which doesn't happen with all hosts.

Question: is anyone hosting several domains on one account? For that they use add-on domains that reside in folders of the main site. If using that, how is it working?

Yeah, I've got about 4 domains residing on the one account I'm using. To be honest? It's a pretty quick and painless process. You only need to set a few settings and wait for a few minutes before it kicks over.

As to whether there are any lasting consequences, I couldn't tell you. For instance, I'm not sure whether having add-on domains can be a negative in the eyes of the search engines (b/c of the dual domain situation). I haven't seen anything happen with my URLs, and they seem to be getting indexed in the usual way. I figure as long as I don't promote the subdomain url that everything should be ok. (someone with more knowledge aobut this could provide better input than I).

Anyway, as to the ease-of-use, no problem there.

Aside from that, they also allow you to configure parked-domains, transfer domains, and create quite a few subdomains.

Hope that helps..
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com

Quote Originally Posted by dpl882
    Any comments on Blue Host?

I am currently using Godaddy's basic hosting. Since they have become better know through their ads, I think their performace has gone down. I think they have taken on more than they can handle. My sites seem to load slower, MySQL problems, etc. I have even had files in which the permissions changed on their own and I couldn't change them back. I had to contact them to do the changes. I also had an adsense site which I haden't checked in a while. It was showing as "PARKED". After contacting them, they told me to reset the nameservers. That didn't fix it. It was a MX record error which they had to fix. I never made any changes to the MX.

I just need a basic package with MySQl, PHP, Perl, Reliable, Good Performance, Support large datafeeds to MySQL. Live Chat for tech support with someone actually there would be great also.

Lilian at mydatafeedscript.com suggested Linksky
    Oh, by the way, GoDaddy.com is notorious for having troubles with the domain record setttings. First few domains I purchased from there were a complete pain in the butt to work with. When I finally did manage to make it work, the settings would somehow mysteriously vanish, or become corrupt, in which case GoDaddy support has no clue as to why, or even how to fix it.

At one point, after hounding their support about a dozen times, I finally had one verbally admit that something was wrong on their side. They escalated the call a few times, got it to one of the network technicians (which I think they had a caching problem), and what do you know..it worked again. They wouldn't tell me what it was though.

Needless to say, it's not a fun process. B/c of that, I am definite that I won't be doing any hosting business with them. Good Lord, I can imagine where that would lead.

I host one set of my current affiliate sites with Bluehost and overall think it's a good host. I've had friends sign up with them as well and they independently came to the same conclusion. I have personally as of yet not noticed any downtime, but I'm more one of those hands-off, party-all-night affiliates, so who knows?

of late BlueHost has been having some downtimes. One of my best sites I had to move to minimize loss of sales

Talking
    I have one site hosted with them to check them out.

So far I've had no problems with Blue Host at all.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

yesterday some servers were out for at least 5 hrs on and off, they say it was a power problem. I think they are not prepared for the consequences of their phenomenal growth

Talking
    They sent me a message yesterday that some servers were down but my site never went down. It was up the whole time.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Quote Originally Posted by dpl882
    ...I just need a basic package with MySQl, PHP, Perl, Reliable, Good Performance, Support large datafeeds to MySQL. Live Chat for tech support with someone actually there would be great also.
    Consider FastNext. BTW, this week if you refer yourself, you basically get your money back, because they are paying 100% commission on all sales this week.

And... you also qualify for a free hosting with them! See my sig.

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    I've seen very good recommendations for them, and their sales people get back with answers to questions really fast, which doesn't happen with all hosts.

Question: is anyone hosting several domains on one account? For that they use add-on domains that reside in folders of the main site. If using that, how is it working?
    A trick I use is to set up a parked domain (which is free with Lunarpages anyway) and then redirect the browser by figuring out the url that was typed in the browser. For example, here's the code I place at the top of my main index.php page, which is also used to redirect mom-eblog.net to mom-eblog.com (which also saves me money by not having to set that up as an additional add-on domain):

<?php

// Determine the URL typed in the browser
    function selfURL() {
    $s = empty($_SERVER["HTTPS"]) ? ''
    : ($_SERVER["HTTPS"] == "on") ? "s"
    : "";
    $protocol = strleft(strtolower($_SERVER["SERVER_PROTOCOL"]), "/").$s;
    $port = ($_SERVER["SERVER_PORT"] == "80") ? ""
    : (":".$_SERVER["SERVER_PORT"]);
    return $protocol."://".$_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'].$port.$_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'];
    }
    function strleft($s1, $s2) {
    return substr($s1, 0, strpos($s1, $s2));
    }

// Redirect to http://online-etraining
    $this_url = selfURL();
    $pos = strpos($this_url, "online-etraining");
    if ($pos !== false){
    header("Location: http://online-etraining.com/courses/");
    exit();
    }

// Redirect to mom-eblog
    $pos = strpos($this_url, "mom-eblog.net");
    if ($pos !== false){
    header("Location: http://www.mom-eblog.com/");
    exit();
    }
    ?>

Does that make sense?

Rick Palmer | President | ProSoft Apps
    Family-Safe Software Download Site - http://www.prosoftapps.com
    Send personalized newsletters and press releases without Word or Outlook - http://www.prosoftapps.com/pcimail

Arrow HostMonster is a spin-off from BlueHost - very affordable!
    I've posted several times about how much I liked Lunarpages, but I switched last month to HostMonster because they offer free UNLIMITED add-on domains and more space, and more bandwidth than Lunarpages, BlueHost, BlueFish, or HostGator... and all for only $4.95 a month.

And if you refer yourself their commission is $90 so it almost completely pays for a 2-year signup! :-)

I put together a comparison of hosting features at http://www.sellsharewareonline.com/node/8 between the providers I just mentioned.

I am running over 25 domains on this one account, and 11 of them have MySql databases and are running Drupal (awesome framework btw!).

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread