Angry AdWords Landing Page to influence CPC
    <<<We've also added some language to anticipate Google's retrieval of advertiser landing pages. To further improve program quality, our system will soon visit and evaluate all landing pages specified in AdWords ads. The quality information collected will affect AdWords account performance in the future. If a landing page has informative content related to its AdWords ads and keywords, these keywords will receive higher Quality Scores and potentially lower minimum cost-per-click bid (CPC bid) requirements. Poor quality landing pages or those that restrict visits by our system are likely to experience a decrease in quality scores (and a potential increase in CPC bid requirements).>>>

I know why they are implementing this policy however it still makes me mad. I can understand ranking for organic search however they should keep their hands off of how I structure my landing page for paid search. Many us us spend thousands of dollars every month with Google, we are their customers.

I know exactly what works and what does not work on my landing pages now I have to sell the page to potential customers plus Google if I wish to maintain my CPC standing! Give me a break!

OOOPS just realized was an old POST, LOL GethsemeneRose's Avatar
    Yeah I had a fight with Google about this already they raised my CPC by a factor of 100 (5cent ads now cost 5 dollars) because they deemed that a christian site should not PPC the word "personality tests" even though most Growing Pentacostal Churches teach Personality Testing as part of Leadership Development. Google said no because thier "computer algorithms" showed christian sites and that keyword do not constitute a "quality adword match." That is why I am now testing Overture.
    :gnome: [URL]www.gethsemenerose.com[/URL] :gnome: As for me and my SITE we shall serve the LORD!

Quote Originally Posted by GethsemeneRose
    Yeah I had a fight with Google about this already they raised my CPC by a factor of 100 (5cent ads now cost 5 dollars) because they deemed that a christian site should not PPC the word "personality tests" even though most Growing Pentacostal Churches teach Personality Testing as part of Leadership Development. Google said no because thier "computer algorithms" showed christian sites and that keyword do not constitute a "quality adword match." That is why I am now testing Overture.
    That would be a separate issue. What Google is planning in the very near future is to crawl all landing pages and rank your content. For instance, if you used the keyword, Christian and Google crawled your landing page and did not feel that it contained sufficient relevant content for that keyword then your CPC would be penalized and you would be forced to increase your bid, make your ad more relevant and OR revise your landing page so that it had higher relevancy.

I personally have no problem with the keeping my ad's relevant however I do have a problem with Google meddling with my landing page. My landing pages are designed for performance not to satisfy Google.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    the crawling and discounting for LP relevancy (or inflating for irrelevancy) preceeeded this change in terms...

It seems like they have already started to do this. my page had an article about "personality tests" and the link pointed to the article but they said the quality adword match wasn't high enough.
    :gnome: [URL]www.gethsemenerose.com[/URL] :gnome: As for me and my SITE we shall serve the LORD!

months ago...

Ok the first post made it seem like this was pending either way I DO NOT LIKE IT.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    the crawling and discounting for LP relevancy (or inflating for irrelevancy) preceeeded this change in terms...
    Really? When did it start? For example say I used a keyword, flowers and simply had a landing page with a link to a florist and very few words of ad copy would I then be penalized? I have noticed strange abnormalities with Google AdWords over the past several months. Did the LP relevancy factor start 2 months ago? I probably missed it.

I know that I will now be forced to increase the relevancy of some of my landing pages, I just resent being forced to change landing pages which work.

and forget the frown face on the label to this thread... this deal cuts both ways...

if you're got good landing pages, you'll have lower CPC and / or higher positions.

drop the consumer on very relevant stuff and you're rewarded.

are there cases where it has snags and the algorithm makes an error in judgement, yep - but overall, this is yet another way for affs to compete with the big guys by outsmarting / outsegmenting / outworking / outspecifying the competition.

and if you get whacked on theme mismatch (pers test vs christian), time to rev the landing page - the page gets much more weight than the site (in my experiments anyhow).

Googles getting a little to tough for me... Bummer!

i don't know the exact date, but it's been many months...

Quote Originally Posted by DrPink
    I know that I will now be forced to increase the relevancy of some of my landing pages, I just resent being forced to change landing pages which work.
    Consumers resent seeing an ad for one thing and getting plopped on another.

For Google to continue winning the war for search market share, they will continue to focus on relevancy - because the consumer wants it. It's one of the keys, perhaps the most important, to winning the search war. And there are $billions at stake.

"That is why I am now testing Overture."

I read recently that Yahoo/Overture was heading toward this also.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    and forget the frown face on the label to this thread... this deal cuts both ways...

if you're got good landing pages, you'll have lower CPC and / or higher positions.

drop the consumer on very relevant stuff and you're rewarded.

are there cases where it has snags and the algorithm makes an error in judgement, yep - but overall, this is yet another way for affs to compete with the big guys by outsmarting / outsegmenting / outworking / outspecifying the competition.

and if you get whacked on theme mismatch (pers test vs christian), time to rev the landing page - the page gets much more weight than the site (in my experiments anyhow).
    I agree. I am always experimenting with my landing pages as well as ads trying to improve my ROI. I now realize the reason that I have been experiencing some strange results. A mystery is solved. You cannot fight Google and win. I should have been more attentive.

Yeah like I first said I had a page with an article about personality tests (and how our church was using it in leadership training) the keyword was personality tests I had some books and bibles ads up and the page was getting decent hits but then TPTB at Google decided because the rest of the site was CHRISTIAN and didn't focus on personality tests alone (the site has about 100 pages I think 1% focus is pretty good) that the keyword was not relavant they upped the price for me to bid to $5 from 5 cents. and I was of course out of the bidding.

What CTR were you getting on that keyword?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Here is some additional information from Danny Sullivan .
    Search Engine Watch
    May 26,2006
    Google AdsBot Now Coming To Assess Your Landing Pages, Will Impact Your AdRank

Google's rolling out a new system where ad landing pages will be automatically spidered by a new AdsBot. The content of landing pages will help determine the quality of an ad campaign. That quality score, along with the amount you are willing to pay, is then used to determine an ad's AdRank, the position where an ad will appear in the results. A high quality score means you can rank higher even if you pay less than others. And not participating in the new spidering system can hurt your AdRank.

What's the deal? Didn't Google already spider landing pages as part of the announcement back in December that landing page content would be assessed? To my understanding from Google, only if the AdSense spider had seen the page for ad content placement purposes or if regular Googlebot had already indexed the page for inclusion in the web search index. If the page wasn't already visible to these or perhaps some other Google spiders, or had been specifically blocked from spidering, then AdWords couldn't assess it.

Sometime in the coming weeks, a new AdsBot crawler will be grabbing all landing pages independently of AdSense, Googlebot or other Google spiders. Can you still block being spidered? Yes. But if you do so, Google AdWords will consider you a "non-participating advertiser" in the review process. As a result, you'll take a ding on your overall AdWords quality score.

From new information about the change:

While you can exclude your site from review, this will provide us with little information about your landing page's quality and relevance. Therefore, if you restrict AdWords from visiting your landing pages, you will experience a drop in Quality Scores for your related keywords. (This will cause higher minimum bid requirements for any landing page for which you've restricted access.)

That page also explains how to block AdsBot from getting your pages, how the visits won't cost you money even though AdsBot is following your ad links and how blocking or allowing AdsBot to your site will have no impact on what Googlebot thinks about it in terms of ranking it for free, organic results.

the CTR was close to 0.77 to 0.97 for the 4 days they allowed the word. I am still new but that seems like a respectable rate (I have been getting about 0.2 to an incredible 6.7 for some other words since on overture) but most of my words are even more targeted. and the 6.7 was actually at 20.25 the first day but then again that was for only 21 impressions VERY TARGETED WORD

Welcome to Landing Pages Keyword spam.

Angry
    Quote Originally Posted by nabeelk
    Welcome to Landing Pages Keyword spam.
    I do not understand? I am not spamming I picked 29 targeted keywords that were very specific to the pages I was promoting and a few of them were considered "not quality" because TPTB considered them off topic because they thought a christian page shouldn't include such words how is that spamming. None of these words were merchant banned words most of them were only getting a few impressions a day (although one was getting about 1000 with a ctr of over 2%) how is that spamming? Or are you saying I am a victim of the fact that so many people spam by shotgunning thousands of keywords and I am suffering the consequences of Googles Reaction to it? Well I guess it doesn't matter my experiment with Google and Overture is over! PPC is not in my immediate marketing plan. I will stick to organic SEO.

ABW Ambassador
    Hopefully they will do something about all of the affiliates using frames to make
    it appear that the merchants site is actually on their own domain. I've noticed a lot
    of this since Google started allowing only one ad per domain.
    Or just simply copying the merchants site html code onto their own domain.

Hopefully they will do something about all of the affiliates using frames to make
    it appear that the merchants site is actually on their own domain. I've noticed a lot
    of this since Google started allowing only one ad per domain.
    There's always somebody out there trying to game Google. I saw someone the other day using two different domains but the same landing page. One was just a simple redirect.

Think in terms of the surfer and it all works. Make the ad and landing page relate to the search term and everyone will be happy.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread