ABW Ambassador
    Google Software Package To Be Factory Installed In Dells

Ooh, I bet MS is hoppin mad.

PC are getting really cheap (relatively)
    I can see a time in the near future when companies GIVE AWAY PC's pre-bundled with (unremoveable) toolbars and adware.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    If Dell adds the Google software, it makes me wonder if they'll stop packaging the MyWay spyware onto all the computers they sell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MyWay_Searchbar

Would be a HUGE step forward for Dell.

And not that they'd care, but I'd then lift my personal ban on buying and recommending Dell.

Doh! I better check my wife's new Dell to make sure I removed that.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Never seen it on our Dells, but then we tell Dell to ship them minus all the crap.

Google Desktop Search is a HUGE security nightmare waiting to happen. Not only does it open up ports on your PC, but it can actually transfer sensitive data to Google's servers (which is illegal in many cases in Europe) and it eats hard disk space like it's going out of fashion.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    Ooh, I bet MS is hoppin mad.

PC are getting really cheap (relatively)
    I can see a time in the near future when companies GIVE AWAY PC's pre-bundled with (unremoveable) toolbars and adware.
    This essentially already happened during the dotcom bubble. The problem of course is nothing is 100% secure and there is a limited market penetration with an item like this.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    This essentially already happened during the dotcom bubble. The problem of course is nothing is 100% secure and there is a limited market penetration with an item like this.
    Yeah, PeoplePC did it. I remember reading that there was just a tiny peephole left on the screen to actually work in, due to all the bars they had on it.

As for Google and Dell, it's not a big deal to me...the next time I get a new computer I'm going to build it myself. After upgrading this one so much (I just got done messing with it again last week), I've seen how easy it would be to do the whole thing. I don't think I'd save a bunch of money--well maybe I would compared to a Dell--but that way I'll know exactly what's on it--and exactly what's IN it! (No oddball sizes of parts that die regulary, unlike this one where I had to check 4 places just to get a new fan [again].)
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread