Arrow [split from Suggestions] Misc. Thoughts on CJ
    My only suggestion is to Akiva...

Please try to keep this dialog flowing by limiting your editions and deletions. People like Voxman are most likely going to be at the forefront of this type of dialogue. We need to be able to hear all that is going on and hear everyones contributions.

Thank you
    :warning: If we don't get some cool rules ourselves.... pronto... then we'll just be bogus too..

ABW Ambassador
    legacy link is dead. cj finally realized that it is losing the battle against adblockers. instead of adding more static domains for us to use and be stuck with it, they want us to put javascripts so they can change the domain names on the fly.

ABW Ambassador
    legacy link is dead. cj finally realized that it is losing the battle against adblockers.
    Funny thing is, plenty of people are making plenty of cash every month with "legacy" links, in spite of ad-blockers.

Besides, ad-blockers can't even get a chance to work if dog slow pages won't load, or if they take so long to load that folks will just hit the back-button.

IMHO it's part of what CJ seems to be doing to cooperate with merchants who don't like it when affiliates get better search engine rankings than they do. That's obvious from the boiler-plate TOS changes from some merchants. They read enough alike in some provisions that it's safe to assume the recommendations are coming from the network itself. Ad blockers can have little impact if search engine listings are interfered with enough. LS must be jumping for joy over this.

Based on that, my suggestion to CJ is that they step back from taking sides unfairly, which results in pitting one against the other when it should be a partnership for mutual good. My suggestion to CJ is also that they stop micro-managing and uber-controlling peoples' own websites to "help" people who don't want or need their "help", and leave the decision-making on which type of links to use up to the merchants and aff partners.

ABW Ambassador
    Morethanable

Cj Changes from HTML to Java.. ANyones thoughts?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

read this
    http://www.marketingvox.com/archives...es_advertisers

hows this going to effect us?
    i'd like to comment on the above, posted on another thread but that thread was closed.

the article makes it appear that there is a conspiracy between cj and the top affiliates, which many happens to have questionable business practices, to remove the rest of the affiliate competition.

Why are you bothering to make suggestions or offer the value of your insights?

Hasn't past experience taught you that CJ doesn't give a damn what you think, what you want or what your problems are?

They will do as they damned well please and the hell with the affiliates!

Forget CJ. It is dead in the water for ordinary affiliates. Just go to other resources for merchants and get on with your business.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    I'd say the quotes in that article are making every-day garden variety affiliates sound like dirtbags that will be swept away at the will and whim of the virtuous network, with their pristine ethics and morality.

"CJ is eliminating most of the existing poorly executed affiliate sites AND pleasing Google. Two birds, one stone. Quite literally this happens overnight in June as the HTML links go dark. The new network-provided Java script links give advertisers total control in the future if affiliates mis-behave," Molander writes.
    That is not only inaccurate, it's the most asinine, arse-kissing piece of mind-reading I've seen in ages.

ABW Ambassador
    cj and its cohorts have now gathered all the marketing techniques that works, they now want to apply them to the so-called affiliate/s that they own, and this change is another way of kicking out the affiliates that fed them those valuable info.

i've always been suspicious of that CJ Network Quality bot.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    That is not only inaccurate, it's the most asinine, arse-kissing piece of mind-reading I've seen in ages.
    Unreal. But not so much ass-kissing as self-serving.

added...
    Sorry Akiva, this was your suggestions thread, didn't mean to add no value.

I have a suggestion...to affiliates. Start reading up on your javascript.
    Last edited by sjangro; May 26th, 2006 at 11:24 AM.

15 years and counting
    Michael - I'm not into advertising. I'm an affiliate, and proud of it.
    With an advertising mindset, publishers provide a space and the advertiser has near total control over the space to meet their objectives.
    I agree with MC, that's a very important change. I've several years of experience with networks using only JavaScript and it's exactly what's happening with them. You just provide advertising space and you have no control of what the advertiser decide to show in that space.
    They can change the wording of text links directly ON YOUR OWN site. You have no control.
    Benefits: No maintenance, you let the advertiser run the show.
    Problems: You're not an affiliate anymore, you're a publisher.
    Last edited by Zeus; May 26th, 2006 at 12:13 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by sjangro
    I have a suggestion...to affiliates. Start reading up on your javascript.
    I am successful so far with legacy links because I can react to consumer preferences that are inherent to my visitors and my websites.

Successful merchants have recognized this, and have rightfully reacted by providing at least one customizable link to their affiliates.

having an all-applicable javascript link takes away that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    I agree with MC, that's a very important change. I've several years of experience with networks using only JavaScript and it's exactly what's happening with them. You just provide advertising space and you have no control of what the advertiser decide to show in that space.
    They can change the wording of text links directly ON YOUR OWN site. You have no control.
    Benefits: No maintenance, you let the advertiser run the show.
    Problems: You're not an affiliate anymore, you're a publisher.
    Now that's interesting. What are they trying to do, go into competition with Google and the like?

Well, I suppose I can milk them for what they're worth, until the last day - unless this "upgrade" can be integrated with positive results.
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

I've several years of experience with networks using only JavaScript and it's exactly what's happening with them. You just provide advertising space and you have no control of what the advertiser decide to show in that space.
    That's turning the affiliate's values upside down!

Without individual control over every single detail of the affiliate's own site, affiliate sites will just become mass produced extentions of the merchant's advertising.

The lack of the affiliate's ability to exercise individual control over what words are placed on the affiliate's site is exactly what I despise about Adsense.
    Will networks such as CJ adopt a structure similar to Google's Adsense? All of these related threads seem to be pointing in that direction.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Excellent point. If affiliates wanted a network to control the message presented on our sites, we would use Google AdSense or something similar.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

15 years and counting
    Rhia - The lack of the affiliate's ability to exercise individual control over what words are placed on the affiliate's site is exactly what I despise about Adsense.
    As an affiliate we know how to build a page promoting one or more products with the right spin to push visitors to buy the product(s).
    With JS links you don't control the product your advertiser want to sell. They can change it on the fly and it may don't match anymore your recommendation. You'll look like a fool.
    I learn with such links to promote only brand names, not products. It's not affiliate marketing, it's branding for the merchant. Is it in our best interest?

They [the merchants] can change it on the fly and it may don't match anymore your recommendation. You'll look like a fool.
    I learn with such links to promote only brand names, not products. It's not affiliate marketing, it's branding for the merchant. Is it in our best interest?
    No, it's not in our best interests at all.

The networks and merchants will try to attempt control over the affiliates' sites turnings us into robots, bricks in The Wall (Pink Floyd) ...

Branding for "Feudal Lord" advertisers will secure the merchant platform while the "peasant" affiliates will perform tricks similar to those of trained animals as they grasp for the pocket change being thrown at them.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

So... is this whole LMI thing not going to require more sophistication from merchants or their AMs? Couldn't they really screw things up while attempting to "control" the JS content?

Quote Originally Posted by ticketguyz
    So... is this whole LMI thing not going to require more sophistication from merchants or their AMs? Couldn't they really screw things up while attempting to "control" the JS content?
    Get yourself a copy of Javascript: The Definitive Guide published by O'Reilly
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Talking
    Maybe G should just dip into the petty cash fund and buy CJ.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread