One Possible Solution to CJ's Required JavaScript Links
    My main complaints about LMI are:

1) Having more than a few JavaScripts on a page will impact performance.
    2) I need to have control over the text used.
    3) I need to have the text in my database (for searching), not just JavaScript code.
    4) I need to be able to track clicks.

So, here's my solution.

1) Keep everything the way it is. I'll still have the text and a plain HTML redirect link.
    2) Load all the JavaScript into my database for every link.
    3) Change my redirect link to intercept CJ links and go to a special jump page on my site.
    4) Build the jump page to explain that the user has to click again, and dynamically insert the link's JavaScript on the jump page.

It'll be an extra step for all CJ links, but it'll allow me to keep the Javascript off all of the pages. It'll hurt conversions for my CJ merchants, but that'll be much less of an impact than having thousands of useless JavaScripts scattered throughout my site.

An even easier solution:

1) CJ could make it optional.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    My main complaints about LMI are:

1) Having more than a few JavaScripts on a page will impact performance.
    2) I need to have control over the text used.
    3) I need to have the text in my database (for searching), not just JavaScript code.
    4) I need to be able to track clicks.

So, here's my solution.

1) Keep everything the way it is. I'll still have the text and a plain HTML redirect link.
    That's my plan (so far) because the sky isn't falling YET
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

My biggest concerns are the merchants with flexible destination urls and products.

How will this be effected ?

If all else fails we have this option:

For sale 42 slightly used websites.
    Last edited by apex-auctions; May 26th, 2006 at 07:01 PM.
    Need eBooks ? [URL=http://www.softebooks.com]We gott'em[/URL]:escape:<br>

Animal Lover
    That thought has crossed my mind Michael. It will require the visitor to click twice...but I was thinking of having that page load up with something like...

"Please wait while we search to see if that merchant has a coupon/deal available..." and then come up with that javascript link there (be it the coupon/deal link or the product link)...that will keep the javascript off the main pages and only load up the one...

Waiting to see what redirect options they have available for us. Whatever it is, it's still a pain because all the banner links will still have to be changed...sigh...

Oscar
    My DataFeed Scripts - php datafeed scripts for your site
    Shareasale datafeed scripts - to display Shareasale datafeeds
    Linkshare datafeed scripts - for multiple Linkshare merchants

Quote Originally Posted by oscar
    "Please wait while we search to see if that merchant has a coupon/deal available..." and then come up with that javascript link there (be it the coupon/deal link or the product link)...that will keep the javascript off the main pages and only load up the one...
    Oscar
    That's a good possible solution for a coupon site or a specials/coupon section of a site, but what about sites that like to feature and describe actual products?

Michael deserves a pat on the back for coming up with possible solutions that will work, but will the user stick around after being informed that he/she has to click again in order to see the beautiful piece of jewelry or to see the latest in shoe styles?

Does CJ know about usability?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Interesting, Michael. But can you dynamically output js code? I can't remember ever trying something like that, unless something like eval() might work.

Also, if they're going to be patroling sites for compliance (regarding email links), then do you think they might do the same for something like this?
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

You can do it; I've been buried multiple levels deep of code that outputs other code that outputs other code. The quotes are a mess.

Most affiliates have to hire someone or pay for software already to deal with datafeeds; this will further that gap in who can manage their own links and who cannot. Personally, I will choose a better UI experience without any extra clicks if it means changing where the link goes.

Actually, was thinking about this, and I think (as a work-around) you could create a temp file on your server, which contains this js code (i.e., something like mylinkcode.js). Then reference the script in the destination page. Once finished, get rid of the file.

This is of course, if there's no way to actually write out the js code dynamically.
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

If...
    the main reason for the switch-over is so the merchants/or CJ have total control over the link characteristics on the page a viewer sees.
    Then they might not Allow HTML redirects to the JS link.
    just speculating...

Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    If...
    the main reason for the switch-over is so the merchants/or CJ have total control over the link characteristics on the page a viewer sees.
    Then they might not Allow HTML redirects to the JS link.
    just speculating...

Bingo
    Need eBooks ? [URL=http://www.softebooks.com]We gott'em[/URL]:escape:<br>

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    So, here's my solution.

Is there a decision maker at CJ's who is listening?

Seems like they want a mass exodus of affiliates to leave.

They have perfected their business model and now they are "thinning the herd".

Trust published some interesting article links;

Here's a nice quote from some bozo named Jeff Molander;

"CJ is eliminating most of the existing poorly executed affiliate sites AND pleasing Google. Two birds, one stone. Quite literally this happens overnight in June as the HTML links go dark. The new network-provided Java script links give advertisers total control in the future if affiliates mis-behave," Molander writes.

http://www.marketingvox.com/archives...sers/index.php

Here is another one;

Griping like what's taking place in the ABestWeb forum "is exactly what Commission Junction wants to happen and exactly what advertisers that work with Commission Junction want to happen," Jeff Molander, CEO of affiliate marketing consulting firm Molander and Associates, told ClickZ News. In other words, affiliates that have started so-called "link farms" or sites with little content beyond revenue-generating links, are of questionable value to advertisers who would rather not be affiliated with such low-quality sites.

http://www.clickz.com/news/article.php/3609261

Finally the usual "muck denial" from the CJ CEO;

Pacifying advertisers and search engines by eliminating link farms is "not what's driving [the Link Management Initiative] at all," countered Gerstenderger... he insisted, because the JavaScript links will enable dynamic alterations, the changeover will lessen the number of future changes for affiliates. "We're trying to give more value for our clients," he continued. "At the end of the day our success is tied to the success of our publishers and advertisers."

If the CJ CEO really means it, he will listen, won't he?

Using JS links only will increase the quality of the page and get rid of the low quality sites?

'adsense' ...cough

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by apex-auctions
    If all else fails we have this option:

For sale 42 slightly used websites.
    A lot more than 42.....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    Molander is just an unethical ass, nice swipe at ABW.

Real solution is to boycott CJ, instead of spending countless hours trying to figure out how to deal with the JS, and than hope it works. Spend your time finding new merchants for your site. It will make you more money in the long run.

Plus I’d be willing to bet that if everyone at ABW stopped using CJ they would notice.
    Just a squirrel trying to get a nut, in the Internet jungle.

Quote Originally Posted by Trying to Win
    Real solution is to boycott CJ
    Well the way things are looking, I'm may be boycotting CJ, but not by choice. Javascript links simply won't work with the system I have in place, and to make it work would require me to give up all sorts of features which have been integrated into the site.

I like Michael's workaround and may implement it, but a percentage of sales will still be lost to the extra click.

Until CJ says "Oops! our mistake..." and makes the Javascript optional (I dont expect this to happen), I'll be looking elsewhere for my merchants.

Quote Originally Posted by Trying to Win
    Real solution is to boycott CJ, instead of spending countless hours trying to figure out how to deal with the JS, and than hope it works. Spend your time finding new merchants for your site. It will make you more money in the long run.

Plus I’d be willing to bet that if everyone at ABW stopped using CJ they would notice.
    The real solution is to boycott CJ, instead of spending countless hours trying to figure out how to deal with the JS, and than hope it works?

Wake up man!

You just said "and than hope it works", do you really think that just hoping for something to happens will really make things happen?

If there is no real action, there would be no real reaction!

And if you ever think that everyone here at ABW or anywhere else would ever agree on anything at the same time, then you better start to use the ABW search feature more often, or at least be able to tell me why Saint Nick never brought me a bike when I was a kid.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Joey
    Javascript links simply won't work with the system I have in place, and to make it work would require me to give up all sorts of features which have been integrated into the site.
    Same here. I would REALLY like for them to keep the Legacy links working indefinitely.

ABW Ambassador
    "Molander is just an unethical ass, nice swipe at ABW."

The MC of the upcoming Affiliate Summit

Misinformation in his article:
    "Quite literally this happens overnight in June as the HTML links go dark"

"Leading Minds & Advertisers Speak Out
    In an effort to get some perspective from advertisers, I’m convening a few leading minds in the online performance advertising business today so as to discuss the implications of what we know about Commission Junction’s recent link structure ("Link Management Initiative") announcement. The group consists of experienced affiliate managers and a prominent affiliate who promises to, quickly, get at the heart of the situation (get the details from the affiliate side). The audio program and transcripts will be published here on an ASAP basis."

Hasn't happened yet, but I'll take a guess. The affiiate will be named Robert.

"What This Means for Affiliates
    Those I’ve spoken with suggest this means nearly absolutely nothing. This change is designed to frustrate small mom-and-pop affiliates that networks like CJ have traditionally enjoyed offering to advertisers. Tune in to communities like Abestweb.com and others and you’ll hear what CJ hoped and expected playing out—affiliates screaming bloody murder, promising to leave, actually taking down links in protest and flocking to companies like Shareasale, Kowabunga and others where affiliate marketing remains, as they see it, pure and free.

So far affiliates are doing exactly what they should be doing. Nothing if they’re valued partners to retailers; leaving in droves if they’re armatures."

Good ole Jeff.

I must be an amateur. Does that mean Jeff will take me off his list?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I know it is a generalization, but I'd bet most of the "biggest fish" not using adware, mostly get to those numbers using PPC.... where you are entirely unaffected by this change to javascript. Those of us who make mostly profit on natural search are affected. This amateur is pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinT
    Is there a decision maker at CJ's who is listening?

Here's a nice quote from some bozo named Jeff Molander;

"CJ is eliminating most of the existing poorly executed affiliate sites AND pleasing Google. Two birds, one stone. Quite literally this happens overnight in June as the HTML links go dark. The new network-provided Java script links give advertisers total control in the future if affiliates mis-behave," Molander writes.

http://www.marketingvox.com/archives...sers/index.php

Well that pretty much decides it for me. It's my traffic and my websites.. even if it hurts the bottom line for awhile I'm not going to work with CJ.

ABW Ambassador
    3)Change my redirect link to intercept CJ links and go to a special jump page on my site.
    4) Build the jump page to explain that the user has to click again, and dynamically insert the link's JavaScript on the jump page.
    I've been thinking of something similar for static sites. Instead of having CJ links on the existing pages they're on, link to another page on the site instead of the CJ links and try to put up dynamic solutions like GoldenCan or dynamic PSC on the added pages so it'll be just one line of code, but be only one normal type of link on the existing pages.

Then, if I'd drop the CJ merchant that's on the new linked_to page, it would be easier to swap it out for a dynamic thingie for another merchant at LS or SAS. At least the links to the CJ merchant would be on one page and easy to find to delete rather than hunting through multiple pages on sites to find their links. No way would I load existing pages would a bunch of JS (which I hate to begin with) - one on an easily modifiable page is more palatable as a temporary solution.

I'm not sure I'd use nofollow, but may possibly use noindex. That won't necessarily keep the new pages from being indexed, but it'll prevent them from getting crawled.

I'll probably keep a bare minimum up for a while just to stay enrolled, in case they end up changing their minds or make it optional, which I doubt because I suspect there's some *sinister* type of motives they wouldn't ever admit to.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread