Finding Indies
    I'm thinking good and hard about looking at in-house programs now with the whole CJ thing going on. I've always been leery about trying out an indie program because I like getting paid and the networks always seemed like a better bet for that.

I won't ask for recommendations, although if you don't mind sharing, I'll say a big thank you in advance. But I'd love to know how you picked the indies you're using (aside from the ones with their own forum here), how long do you test them for, are there ways to find a stable one that you don't have to worry about ... any tips would be much appreciated.

ABW Ambassador
    Cooking spaghetti right now, but late will post some stuff.

Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

ABW Ambassador
    Here's how I picked some. I have a big shopping site with lots of indys:

I check out my competition. I do this on my own but I know some of my competitors are huge with lots of employees. I check out the indys they're using. I figure they get a lot more traffic and wouldn't have them up if they weren't making any money or had problems with them. Found some of my best that way.

You can check out http://www.kolimbo.com/ A bunch of merchants using the MYAP software. You can go thru them or you can go directly to the merchant site. You have a couple of options.

The other main way is just typing in affiliate or partner + the category you're looking for. Exam: affiliate pets, affiliate office supplies. With those i shoot off an email asking if the program is still live and see how fast they get back to me. Lots of trial and error but finding a nice indy is like striking gold.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Smile
    Guess the Oldest running Indy program is Amazon. The oldest one, exposed to ABWers, is my clients Holdup Suspender program www.suspenders.com/affiliate.htm which has paid affiliates since 1998. Affiliates are screened by me and get help whenever they ask. Only rules are legit Physical clicks from your own webpages and no registered Trademark bidding in the PPCSE's. All play on a level playing field and average 1 sale per every 20 clicks. Impossible to not report every referral sale and illegal for anyone to interfer with the cookie setting link.

Father's Day produces more sales then Christmas and Birthdays guarantee year round sales. Only thing spooky is they are the highest converting product website in the world and do not desire any untargeted traffic.

You'd think with this being my 15,999th post I'd have more then 14 active affiliates in the program. Maybe with 16,000 more the folks here will begin to Trust Me & Charlie
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Mike I'm trying to be nice and I won't link to the thread of the problems people had with the program you're running where you had 3 or 4 mods editing your posts. I would put the suspenders up thru Amazon. This thread isn't for you to push your program again. Get a forum.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    I check out my competition. I do this on my own but I know some of my competitors are huge with lots of employees. I check out the indys they're using. I figure they get a lot more traffic and wouldn't have them up if they weren't making any money or had problems with them. Found some of my best that way.
    Trust, this one is GOLD! Wow. Thank you.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Cooking spaghetti right now, but late will post some stuff.
    How's that spaghetti, Trust? ;-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    I'm just finishing up. I always eat too much and too fast, I hurt right now 16 oz box of spaghetti, all gone. Made the sauce myself.

Wink
    With affiliate program software becoming cheaper and easier to use, I think the growing trend will be towards indies. (for merchants that want more control and profit$)

Now I just need to go out and find an affiliate program for aff. program software!

Has your overall experiences with Indy programs been successful? Possibly better than working with networks? This goes for anyone who might be working with them.

I'm clueless, as I strictly work with networks, but with all the hubub going on, I'm thinking about expanding my horizons a bit.
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com

ABW Ambassador
    Calendars.com is a nice example of a MYAP indy, they use that to run their program.

You can go to Kolimbo and sign up or go right to the site:

http://www.calendars.com
    http://www.fuzeqna.com/calendars/con...ail.asp?kbid=2

Either way. But Kolimbo a good place to find a bunch of indys.

ABW Ambassador
    "Has your overall experiences with Indy programs been successful? Possibly better than working with networks?"

I think a good merchant is a good merchant and they can be indy or network. So I have some great ones and some that just suck. The first place i look is like I posted above, checking the competition or at Kolimbo. And as with any merchant you have to try them out and see if they work for you. You can find some nice niche ones with not that much competition. I like to spread it out, try new merchants. They usually can pay a little better since they don't have to pay those network fees. And if parasites are an issue with you, if you take a look at the merchant lists on adware sites, pretty much 98%+ network merchants. So another bonus, indy merchants less likely to have any parasites in the program.

Sweet. Thanks for the links, Trust.

I think a good merchant is a good merchant and they can be indy or network. So I have some great ones and some that just suck. The first place i look is like I posted above, checking the competition or at Kolimbo. And as with any merchant you have to try them out and see if they work for you. You can find some nice niche ones with not that much competition. I like to spread it out, try new merchants. They usually can pay a little better since they don't have to pay those network fees. And if parasites are an issue with you, if you take a look at the merchant lists on adware sites, pretty much 98%+ network merchants. So another bonus, indy merchants less likely to have any parasites in the program.
    I've thought of the parasite issue before, but it never occurred to me that the commissions might be better.

Thanks, Trust. I'm going to sleep just a little bit better tonight

http and a telephoto
    I *love* indies
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Indys are wonderful although there are some that don't pay and some that don't even have stats to check to see what's going on so it's a gamble. Like Trust said, the ones other big publishers are using regularly should be good.

I'm battling one indy now that probably won't pay what they owe me and I'm sure they haven't credited me the right amount of sales anyway. Just pulling them off my pages this weekend. A lot of merchants who remain indy are not involved with a network because they are just testing the waters and might not maintain their aff program which is a problem.

On the other hand, I have a few indys that are in the group of my best merchants and they pay better than the same type of merchant on a network (twice the commission most times) so it's good to search them out and see what happens.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

I'm just finishing up. I always eat too much and too fast, I hurt right now 16 oz box of spaghetti, all gone. Made the sauce myself.
    OMG I didn't know it was possible for one person to eat 16 OZ of spaghetti! One box is for FOUR people! Time to purge

But good boy ... makes his own sauce ...

Sorry for going
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Cool
    many good indies posted right here in the "new affiliate programs and announcements", of course there were duds in there too.

and you'll find some good ones having forums right here in ABW . . .

Talking
    Maybe that's why you hurt.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

ABW Ambassador
    No, the sauce is good. It's the too much pasta part. Just going to buy the 8 oz boxes of pasta and just eat the pasta that is cooked, of course not the actual box itself.

Just going to buy the 8 oz boxes and just eat that.
    You may want to consider cooking and eating the pasta instead of the boxes; it tastes better

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    I *love* indies
    Me too!

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread