Sorry I don't know which thread this post belongs in.

I bought a few more domains a couple of weeks ago. The company I use has domain forwarding. The names have been active for a while but I just added the site to forward to Friday. It usually takes about an hour tops for the forwarding to take place. Heres my problem

If I type in my domain name http://www.soandsosite.com it doesn't forward. It just goes to the place where I store the domain name.

Now if I just type in just soandsosite.com without the www. it forwards to my page. Also if I type in http://soandsosite.com it works. I've been trying to get a hold of the company but being a Monday, forget it. Does anyone have an explaination for this?? Thanks for any help.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>without the www<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We ran in to this a while back... As I understand it, the DNS server has to have a second entry made to it. There should be two entries: www.soandsosite.com and soandsosite.com. We would think that it's the same site, but computers aren't that smart.

CodeJockey.

Gameboy,

As CJ said there MUST be two DNS entries:
    www.soandso.com = X AND soandso.com = X

Do yourself a favor and set up an account with www.zoneedit.com and manage your DNS there.

Haiko

CJ and Haiko thanks for the info. I finally got through to them after hours and she said to give it a day or 2. She said it is working for her so it must not be on all the web yet. Any other time I added the DF it usually only took a day tops. She said it can take up to 72 hours.

Haiko your right I need to change but I get comfortable with a something and am always afraid to change. Thanks.

ABW Ambassador
    Hi Patrick,

She could be right if you had your domains hosted somewhere else before you forwarded them. If you had the domains already parked on the server from where they would be forwarded then the forwarding would take effect pretty quickly.

On the other hand, if you needed to change the name server before your domain could be forwarded (ie. to park it on your registrar's server) then it usually takes 48-72 hours for the name server change to propagate. Once it has, your domain forwarding should work.

Cheers,
    Kip [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread