ABW Ambassador
    The Gift basket Company was bought, and they emailed their affiliates to give advanced notice. I thought that was pretty cool. The only thing is that I have their links on about a hundred pages or so (oh boy). Now I find myslef taking their ads off and replacing them on all those pages. So here is the solution I am considering to use, and I would like to here from ya'll on the pro's and cons.

I would like to use the smart zone for text links and banner ads. One link, one merchant, one smart zone. When they deactivate, or terminate, I will go into the smart zone and delete the ad, and replace it with another merchants ad. None of this digging into my MS Front Page and opening all those pages and removing links. Now, I am known for doing things the hard way (if ya'll havent noticed) and I am sure there must be an easier way of doing this. Will the smart zone idea work?

ABW Ambassador
    Chuck...I've heard a lot of bad things about smartzones and I try to avoid them. In your case of dealing with a lot of links (we have one site with thousands of links), I would recommend some sort of database. I was tired of updating all this stuff so we got a copy of gossamer-threads links 2.0 It is template driven, so you can make your directory look any way you want (they also have what are called detailed pages that we us for product links). It works well for us and is easy to customize. When a merchant changes something like what you are going through, or product links change, it is a wee bit quicker in doing the updates...

Tom Pyles

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks. Is the Gossamer threads user friendly? can a novice like myself work it?

Most people use SSI server side includes for this.

All you do is insert at ssi call tag on all of your pages.

Create an html template page with the banner and your in business.

Elizebeth or Buckworks.com has a page describing everything you'd need to know.

[ 02-12-2002: Message edited by: Heyder ]

ABW Ambassador
    For a novice, the installation could be a little hairy...you may spend a few hours getting everything up. Once the script is running, you can spend more time customizing it to get the pages to look the way you want. As an example of adding a product, I go into an admin area. It is a simple for that is filled out...Normally the script creates a yahoo style directory, but I've modifed it to handle CJ links (It was pretty easy). In my form, I have the product title, image url, product description (short desription), detailed description (in our case we use the html provided with cj product links). Also is a cj link to that product, but this is pretty much null. It's required to be there so the script will build the detailed pages...That is adding a product...My user sees a small image of the product with a title and short description..when the user clicks on either the image or the title, they are taken to a detailed page (which is in-turn the html provided by CJ)...It sounds complicated here, but it is a much easier process..I recall the days creating a seperate page for every product...this cuts down the time A LOT to add products. You can also add other variables to your directory, like a rating system or the number of clicks a product receives. I've taken those out of our equation, but it can be done....

About Gossamer..they do have a free trial...I would recommend downloading that..tinkering with it and getting it to work...at some point you will need to register it, but you can at least see if it will work for you...

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>All you do is insert at ssi call tag on all of your pages<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok... what is "ssi", and what the h-e double toothpicks is a "call tag"? woe is me.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    SSI= Server Side Includes

A call tag is a little line of code which brings up the Include.

(!--#include file="TheFile.txt" --) (use regular > brackets instead of parentheses)

TheFile would be a file with the ad you want to run in it. I used .txt in my example but I understand you can use other extensions (like .html) too...

Use the tutorial at Buckworks.com for further info. Explaining technical stuff isn't my specialty and when there's already a tutorial you can use...you might as well use it!

[typo]

[ 02-12-2002: Message edited by: Leader ]

Well actually after reading Tom's post you might be better off doing that because you would be able to have the ads rotate.

The ssi method would only work if your server allowed it and you'd likely have to rename your pages to shtml instead of .html

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread