Homemarket Place Still doing it
    Guess they forgot to take care of this problem. Maybe I was stupid to believe they would. Didn't they claim to be unaware of their error page and say they would take care of it.

Just ran across a product link on one of my sites that leads to http://www.thehomemarketplace.com/ma...ct_detail.aspx

I will spend today making sure 100% of all links to them are removed. Granted I don't have many links left but still. Regardless if the product is no longer carried they should redirect to the home page or suggested replacement products. It appears that this product may be no longer carried. I searched their site (after manually typing in their website address as their maintenance page has no clickable link to their working website). Did not find the product but I did find a product that could replace it for most people.

I am very annoyed with them. Even more anoyed with myself for giving them another chance.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I can think of several reasons why HM wouldn't fix this problem but none of them is flattering to either the merchant or the AM.

Thanks for the update, Mellie.

Odd thing is they really are spiting themselves as I would guess at least some people, if not most, won't bother to call to shop. They'll just google the item & buy it elsewhere.

I cannot comprehend why they wouldn't correct this. Seems to me everyone loses under the current set up. I'd say the am is clueless and the merchant doesn't care about the program. Most of their sales online & off must come via catalog.

ABW Ambassador
    "Devils Advocate"

Why don't affiliates care enough not to have out of stock product links on their site. Could be one of the reason for the javascript links. Affiliates can't keep their sites up to date.

*still think those links should go to the home page or a page saying, "This product is out of stock how about these:"

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Why don't affiliates care enough not to have out of stock product links on their site. Could be one of the reason for the javascript links. Affiliates can't keep their sites up to date.
    Maybe the merchant didn't update their own feed right away...

*Remembers I have to update the GB feed today...oops *

As for the Javascript links, I don't think it'd help anything to have a page start showing blank spaces (or worse, some kind of anticonversionary message) on its own when something goes OOS. At least if the links still worked, the customer may decide to buy something else. Which does happen enough that cutting off all possibility is dumb (although needless to say it doesn't convert nearly as well as if the item is actually in stock).
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    "Maybe the merchant didn't update their own feed right away..."

Not sure how the setup is. If people have their feeds on their site update on their own or they have to do it manually or dl it. Maybe the JS feed would just remove products as they become out of stock, not show blank spaces. Not sure how all that works.

Went direct to their site and searched for the product. Lo & behold there it is but it indicates on temporarily on backorder.

If they can say it when someone browses why can't they say it when they click my link?

The item was in stock last week, I think it was Tues when I checked on it. I've been keeping my eye on my links to this merchant. At least now I'll have more time for other things.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread