LinkShare Switching to JavaScript Links?
    In CJ's announcement of their suicidal decision to force all affiliates to use JavaScript links instead of HTML links, they said:

Are other affiliate marketing platforms using JavaScript links?
    Yes, the industry standard is moving towards JavaScript links.
    During a followup phone call, they specifically told me that LinkShare had sent out two newsletters announcing that they were switching to JavaScript links. I know that LinkShare is planning on switching to encrypted links (and probably making them required), but this is the first I've heard about JavaScript links. Did CJ misunderstand something, or did all of the rest of us miss something? I find it incredibly amusing that CJ is apparently justifying their Lost Mind Initiative based on misinformation.

LinkShare Moderator: Could you please confirm that LinkShare isn't considering forcing affiliates to use JavaScript.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Exclamation
    could LS have faked them out, caused them to do it on a hint?

follow-the-leader doesn't always take the safest path . . .

ABW Ambassador
    Jangro made reference to it but I'm not sure. Someone on the UK board said:

"I seem to remember that Affiliate Window went down the Java Script route a couple of years back but they soon back peddled and made html links available again."

So we'll see, good way to kill the loading times of pages and cause all kinds of other problems.

Just leave the links alone, I'm doing fine on both networks with the html ones.

Some have said it has something to with the rich media ads Google is putting out and eventually they're going to have to do this to compete or whatever. Lots of theories but the best move is always to have the html links as the option, it's all I need. And if I want to use the others, have it there as an option.

the best move is always to have the html links as the option, it's all I need. And if I want to use the others, have it there as an option.
    Amen
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

Can you imagine the winning combination of javascript links and Synergy Analytics?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Can someone explain to me what benefits the JavaScript links bring?

They're great for things like AdSense, DRMs (LinkShare), SmartZones (CJ), eBay Editor Kits, etc., where you want the advertiser/network/merchant to dynamically show the most appropriate information. You need to be very careful not to include too many JavaScript links on a page, though, or you'll have major performance problems.

CJ is making the unprecedented move of requiring all links to be changed to JavaScript links so they can dynamically change them at will. They told me that LinkShare is planning to do the same thing, but I doubt it.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Does this mean I should sell my datafeed site immediately?

Datafeeds won't be affected by the first round of changes at CJ. I still think there's a good chance that we can get CJ to change their mind (otherwise I wouldn't be so vocal about it - I would just quietly move on) and there may be some workarounds (like adding a second page/click like I suggested in another thread).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

I couldn't understand this at all. (I don't signup with CJ yet, fix my printer-fax for thei tax form first). Does JS links means the code like adsense method? How about text link? I can't believe it. For a data feed site, I list the main product on the top and related products under it (title, short description, affiliate buynow/more info links) . If there is only javascript links, I will need to use 10 javascript code blocks for ten related products? What's about site search feature? I can't beleiev it. If they are worrying about Ad blocker, we (affiliates) can use our own scripts to warp their links.

Yes, that's exactly where CJ is heading and those are exactly the issues many of us are worried about.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    If they are worrying about Ad blocker
    I don't believe that's it at all, none of the reasons they gave ring true.

Michael,

Very good question for the LS moderator. I'm anxious, as I'm sure everyone is, to hear what they have to tell us about this. Thanks.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Thanks Michael,

Yes, would be great to hear some official news from LS on this too.

Helps me inform merchants better, as in a recent call with an existing merchant I suggested that only cj was doing this now, but perhaps LS too. Which way to send a merchant based on their products or if it's a service only is key to theirs and affiliate's success.

I just want to point out once again that I think CJ made some really bad assumptions and that I don't believe LinkShare has any plans to go with JavaScript. But since CJ is claiming that LinkShare does, I just want to hear a confirmation or denial directly from LinkShare.

LinkShare is planning on changing their links (from the current links with lots of different parameters to an encrypted link with just one long parameter), but that's not JavaScript.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    JavaScript links
    Hello Everyone,

LinkShare supports the use of JavaScript links via our DRM functionality, but have no plans for the immediate future to move away from the standard links that we've always used.

Regards,

LinkShare Moderator

Outsourced Program Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by LinkShare Moderator
    Hello Everyone,

LinkShare supports the use of JavaScript links via our DRM functionality, but have no plans for the immediate future to move away from the standard links that we've always used.

Regards,

LinkShare Moderator
    PHEW!!!!!

Hello Everyone,

Regards,

LinkShare Moderator
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    > no plans for the immediate future to move away from the standard links

Thank you for replying LinkShare Moderator

Hello Everyone,

Regards,

LinkShare Moderator

It must be true that old saying: "No sooner does one door close than another opens"

Thanks! That's what I suspected.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Linkshare's regular links haven't changed in 6+ years.

The only major change that was ever done was

http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/stat

to

http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click

The system was created, a ton of people laid off and nothing has ever been upgraded.

Except of course, SynergyAnalytics, a complete fiasco of an integration of 3rd party software.

ABW Ambassador
    "Linkshare's regular links haven't changed in 6+ years."

Oh, they're still going to change, which will be a pain, switching all of them out. But on the bright side it won't be to javascript.

Just keep the old reports as an option and I'm good.

ABW Ambassador
    Hello Everyone,

Regards,

LinkShare Moderator

I hear strains of the "Hallelujah" chorus...THANK YOU!!!

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread