They just keep amusing me...
    This is too well-thought-up for me not to share it. I've just received an e-mail to one of my accounts about an "Unpaid eBay item" (as if I won the auction for one, and haven't paid yet). Came in eBay HTML interface with all the icons and looking just like an e-mail from eBay. Came from a member with 100% positive feedback and close to 900 feedback comments entered... No virus attached to it, nothing... But the problem is: I do not have this particular account tied to any eBay account! Otherwise, I would've almost clicked something and gotten on the phisher's hook! No-no, of course, I wouldn't. But my Dad probably would... Too nicely-put-up. Too realistic...

Geno

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    This is too well-thought-up for me not to share it. I've just received an e-mail to one of my accounts about an "Unpaid eBay item" (as if I won the auction for one, and haven't paid yet). Came in eBay HTML interface with all the icons and looking just like an e-mail from eBay. Came from a member with 100% positive feedback and close to 900 feedback comments entered... No virus attached to it, nothing... But the problem is: I do not have this particular account tied to any eBay account! Otherwise, I would've almost clicked something and gotten on the phisher's hook! No-no, of course, I wouldn't. But my Dad probably would... Too nicely-put-up. Too realistic...

Geno

I received one of those and so did my daughter. Very good work on their end.

I forwarded it to E-bay as spoof.......Have not received acknowledgement from E-bay...................My daughter did click as they instructed but became suspicious. She immediately called me and we changed passwords on her accounts and contacted her bank concerning the credit card number. It appears that we made moves quickly enough to prevent damage.

These guys are very good.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Geno,

it's to the point that you have to check where the link points to tell the difference...it's getting crazy out there ;-/

I dont think they do this to steal ebay accounts as much as they do driveby installs as soon as you click the link. I get one of these almost every other day. Can't hurt to do a spyware check for piece of mind.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread