Wink I have to be honest with you...
    The human mind is a funny thing sometimes; Even though I make a nice paycheck with my full-time job, I don't see it as anything else but a job..I just completely ignore the fact about how much I make there, or how successful I am there. In fact, I'm willing to give it up to make my own way, and make that same amount or less - and I'd be a happy camper. Good grief...

Does any of that makes sense?

The worst part is that I've completely neglected work for the last 6 months or so, since I've put more effort into this business. It's like a sub-conscience effort to try and get fired, just so I can continue working the fun stuff at home...

Someone slap me upside the head and knock some sense into me...

What do you guys do to put up with the 8-5, until you can get home? How do you focus on the job at hand, without thinking about the tweaks you could do with your current projects, or thinking about the new program you just joined and how you'll promote it, or about that big commission you just earned, etc, etc, etc...
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

Makes sense. Kinda like when a guy ends up with an ugly chick and is happy.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    The human mind is a funny thing sometimes; Even though I make a nice paycheck with my full-time job, I don't see it as anything else but a job..I just completely ignore the fact about how much I make there, or how successful I am there. In fact, I'm willing to give it up to make my own way, and make that same amount or less - and I'd be a happy camper. Good grief...

The worst part is that I've completely neglected work for the last 6 months or so, since I've put more effort into this business. It's like a sub-conscience effort to try and get fired, just so I can continue working the fun stuff at home...

What do you guys do to put up with the 8-5, until you can get home? How do you focus on the job at hand, without thinking about the tweaks you could do with your current projects, or thinking about the new program you just joined and how you'll promote it, or about that big commission you just earned, etc, etc, etc...
    This might not be what you wanted to hear, MB or the advice you were looking for but what I did was quit my *job* because I figured if I put that effort into my own business, it would pay off. And it did. After 2 years of working it, I'm making as much as I made working for someone else and I work a lot less hours. Everything I do is pleasant, I can smoke at my desk, goof if I want, sleep when I feel like it and still support my family. I have to believe it will only get better which will then afford us more freedom.

I think you have to weigh the year or so (or less) it will take to earn enough from your web business to support your family and either stick to the grind at the other job until you feel comfortable with your online earnings or dive in and put all your energy into this. I think where you put your energy is what flourishes. If you put your energy and time into building more sites once you know how to make money with them, it kinda stands to reason you'll just make more with more sites. Some might bomb but you'll know that soon enough. Then move on and build something else and so on until you have your flourishing empire. It's a commitment and a decision you have to make, knowing your individual financial situation, how much you hate your 8 to 5 and how much you believe you can make it with just AM.

A wild guess is that the people making the most at AM are doing it full time.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I think you have to weight the year or so (or less) it will take to earn enough from your web business...
    Yeah, that's pretty much the game plan. I've managed to match about a quarter of my monthly paycheck up to this point, but I figure another year, or year and a half should do the trick - barring any serious changes.

You're right, I'm sure there will be a point where I'll actually be losing money by staying in the 8-5. I hope that's soon! Too many ideas and projects, not enough time. 5-12 or 1 at night is passable, but I'd rather devote all day to this.

Ohhhhhhh, I look forward to that one particular day, when I can walk into my boss's office and say.....(you get the idea).

Thanks!
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com

What I did was realize my 8-5 was going to kill me if I kept going at the pace I was at. It was more like 6:30a - 10 p and usually 6 days a week, with tons of driving into and around IL and WIS. I knew I would break if I didn't think so I made sure that the money I was making went to get us out of debt and I tucked as much away as I could, which can be a surprising amount when you're buying your freedom.

I didn't know how affiliate marketing worked when I left. It took me 6 months just to figure out what to do first; no wait - we went to Hawaii on vacation first, just in case we were done being comfortable.... then I sat down and started trying to figure out how to do this.

Long story short- too late - juggle both of them as long as you can without sacrificing your health or your family - after all, you're trading your time for money. As soon as you can get more money (or enough money) by using your time differently (like at home) then GO !

Good luck !

ABW Ambassador
    "Ohhhhhhh, I look forward to that one particular day, when I can walk into my boss's office and say.....(you get the idea)."

That's fun. Some people thought I was a lifer at the place i was working at because I worked there almost 13 years, pretty much grew up there (18 - througout my 20's). Some were in shock But I do miss all the cute cashiers and former co-workers from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness

Welcome to reality MoneyBusiness,

I was there once long ago, and I can tell you that it makes a lot of sense (at least to me!), but only for those that can be a happy camper regardless of if they make that same amount or less on this business.

It's true that the human mind is a funny thing, but not sometimes, the human mind is a funny thing all the time, but only those that really get to know how the human mind seems to work once in a while, are the ones that move ahead on difficult times.

I find that as a irresponsible part of a nice guy, there are better ways to leave a job than to get fired from it.

The last job that I had the last century, I found the way to tell my last boss to take that job and (do you know the old Johnny Cash Song?) get somebody else to do my work because I quit.

OK!

MoneyBusiness, once you taste the freedom of being self-employed and making money at your own pace, you will never be dependant of any boss to tell you what to do.

BUT BE VERY CARE FULL, unless you can afford to be up to one year without earning an income from somewhere, DON'T QUIT YOUR JOB YET!

What do you guys do to put up with the 8-5, until you can get home? How do you focus on the job at hand, without thinking about the tweaks you could do with your current projects, or thinking about the new program you just joined and how you'll promote it, or about that big commission you just earned, etc, etc, etc..
    LET'S GET REAL.

That big commission you just earned, is just one big commission that you just earned today, but it may be a few weeks or even a year before you can get another big commission like that one, don't ever judge your future on one lucky sale, not even is it's a big sale.

You might get lucky and make $5,000.00 next week on commission, but what would you do if you quit your good paying job next month, and then you make no more big commissions for the rest of the year because the search engines buried your site, or the network on where you had those links change the format of the links, and now you may not have any visitors to your site for now?

Don't worry too much about what I just have say, I was just celebrating memorial day.

Yea, right!

I lost my job about a year back (quit probably is the right word) and took some time off lazing around. About six months back I started working on the affiliate sites - took me another few months to get a few of them online At one point I thought I can make enough to sustain myself - but was wrong. I am far below my expectations and now have to get back to a job.

But this business is addictive, being your own boss, and I need to be able to make enough to be independent. Maybe another year from now, maybe less. For the time being it is back to a job (though each month I keep on postponing) and work on the sites during evenings and weekends.

There have been some frustration too - weeks of no sale, sites with no conversion, PPC costing more than the returns, dud merchants, late payments, and it sometimes seems that the returns are low compared to the 12+ hours efforts.

But overall, this has been a good ride. Still a long way still to go, but hopefully will get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    Welcome to reality MoneyBusiness,
    Why, oh why didn't I take the blue pill!

Thanks for the advcie and stories guys..No worries, not plannin' on quitin the rat race just yet. I want to amass about 90% of what Bill Gates is worth before doing so.......

I took the cautious route
    I had saved up a few month's worth of salary before quitting and figured I'd know if things were going to work as a full time affiliate after a month or so (giving me a buffer to find a new job if necessary.)

A friend of mine took a different route, he spent every spare moment doing affiliate work while he was employed full-time. He did just enough to not get fired from his job, and openly admits it to this day.

While I was still employed full-time, I would also count down the hours before I could go home and work on things that were more rewarding to me. I felt a certain amount of loyalty to those that employed me, so I still put in my time and got the things done that they needed (I even put in some overtime.) Luckily, they had some interesting projects going, so it was easy to not let my mind wander about my affiliate work too much.

One thing that helped me stay focused was carrying around a personal notpad where I could write those affiliate ideas down and start working on them as soon as I got home. That way I wouldn't dwell on them during work hours but also wouldn't forget them before I had a chance to try them out. I also used my lunch time to do research and keep up on affiliate news.

jmoore has an excellent point, don't do so much that you sacrifice your health or family. After a few months of being a full-time affiliate, the cash flow is covering my old salary and giving me excellent flexibility with my time. The last 2 months I've been taking time to exercise and I haven't felt this good in a long time.

Just to summarize, no matter what your choice is (to quit or not to quit); maintain balance in your life. You'll be happier and healthier. My goal is to be ready to retire by 40, but what's the point if I make myself and my family miserable along the way?

Alt

15 years and counting
    Good post and good advices alt-j,
    Welcome.
    Affiliate marketing is a scary business. You really need to think about how to stay safe.
    I saw networks scr@wing their affiliates real bad and it's not over. Look at the last CJ LMI thread.
    I retired by 50. I enjoyed my former job, a dream for many but I made so much more money in affiliate marketing (with much less work).
    It's hard to "maintain balance in your life" once you're a full time affiliate. You always want to do more even if you don't need to.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    My response is different from those counseling caution, but how much caution you need depends on your situation. And my situation is one of no mortgage, and no kids to take care of, and was the same when I started. So, keeping that in mind, here's my immediate responses:

>>The human mind is a funny thing sometimes; Even though I make a nice paycheck with my full-time job, I don't see it as anything else but a job..I just completely ignore the fact about how much I make there, or how successful I am there. In fact, I'm willing to give it up to make my own way, and make that same amount or less - and I'd be a happy camper. Good grief...

Oh hell yeah, freedom rules all!
    >>The worst part is that I've completely neglected work for the last 6 months or so, since I've put more effort into this business. It's like a sub-conscience effort to try and get fired, just so I can continue working the fun stuff at home...
    Time to quit, before you DO get fired. Not that "getting fired" is all that awful. It's kind of like a slave owner kicking a slave off the plantation! When it comes down to it, freedom is freedom.

*Slaps multiple times*
    A j*b is nothing to WANT! Lose the pro-empl*yment brainwashing!

What do you guys do to put up with the 8-5, until you can get home?
    Easy, I don't put up with it

( 8-5?! *blanches at the horror of the mere suggestion*
    That's no schedule to tolerate. I never did put up with being up THEN!
    You *are* talking about starting in the m*rning, I presume. 8PM - 5AM would be better, at least schedule-wise. And the night shift never has to deal with the rush-nowhere hour traffic.)

But, the only way I ever found to really deal with a j*b, regardless of schedule, was to QUIT IT, so that's what I did! It's just that night ones lasted a bit longer.

How do you focus on the job at hand, without thinking about the tweaks you could do with your current projects, or thinking about the new program you just joined and how you'll promote it, or about that big commission you just earned, etc, etc, etc...
    Easy, I quit first and hoped for the best

Took a while to get everything running right, which caused some negativity with credit card companies, but it wasn't long before I could do something I couldn't do just w*rking at some j*b: Pay them OFF!

Hah, this is why I love this board. So many opinions, experiences, postives, negatives, you name it. I wouldn't give this board up for anything, except for a couple of slices of pizza right now - I'm famished.

Thanks for the advice, seriously. You all have some great points and points of views that I wouldn't have otherwise.

Unfortunately, I'm what you call "monkish" in a few ways (if you've watched the tv show). In other words, I think too much, and so, quiting my job without at least half of my usual income to fall back on would cause a monk-like panic, in which I might actually fall into a coma...

But here's the game plan: I'm managing to join and integrate merchants to the tune of about 3-4 a month, and promoting about 80% with PPC. I figure if I can hold on to my sanity for somewhere in the range of 8-12 more months, I should (with God's grace) get to the point of no-return. I think that's a somewhat liberal estimation with the way things are going now - of course I'm the kind that doesn't get his hopes up too much - so I'm expecting anything to happen between now and then (like not reaching the goal).

Anyway, when I do happen to make enough, I plan on keeping the job for a couple more months (if I can take it). That is simply b/c my paycheck would simply be extra paddin' in the bank.

As far as the job is concerned, I do enough to get by - plus some. I actually took this job just so that I didn't have to work 80 hour weeks anymore, and so that I can devote my evenings to the good stuff. Besides, it's a government job, so I'd pretty much have to screw up (beyond what I"m capable of) to get the boot.

Anyway, it's the sane reasoning that I need so that I don't walk into the boss's office just yet. As nice, and wonderful as it might turn out to be, I'm not quite ready to live in public housing, or my parents' house agian just yet.

Thanks for the encouragment!

I wouldn't give this board up for anything, except for a couple of slices of pizza right now
    Don't need to give it up to go out for pizza, we have free delivery too!

Buy two slices and get a whole box free!
    (just make sure that TrustNo1 don't see you eating one of he's pizzas)

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread