Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Net Neutrality Scores A Win
    The Internet Freedom and Nondiscrimination Act, sponsored by Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner and Rep. John Conyers, won the majority approval of the House Judiciary Committee, passing by a vote of 20-13.

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/to...coresAWin.html
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    The Internet Freedom and Nondiscrimination Act, sponsored by Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner and Rep. John Conyers, won the majority approval of the House Judiciary Committee, passing by a vote of 20-13.

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/to...coresAWin.html

"We urge Congress to move aggressively to save the Internet -- and allow ideas rather than money to control what Americans can access on the World Wide Web..."

That's a good bit of news for today. I'm glad it worked out this way, b/c if allowed, the big companies could and would make the Internet into something of an abomination...
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    "We urge Congress to move aggressively to save the Internet -- and allow ideas rather than money to control what Americans can access on the World Wide Web..."

That's a good bit of news for today. I'm glad it worked out this way, b/c if allowed, the big companies could and would make the Internet into something of an abomination...
    The scariest part is they would hold our sites hostage in a pay-for-view situation, where we'd have to pay the flippin' ISP to allow our sites to be viewed. Utter insanity ... the big guys want a piece of our pie, over and above their ISP fees. Greedy bastards ... They should develop and maintain web sites if they want a piece of it ...

This is round 1 ... it's still lingering and will be brought up again sometime in June.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

ABW Ambassador
    http://news.com.com/2100-1028-6081882.html?tag=tb

House rejects Net neutrality rules

"Of the 421 House members who participated in the vote that took place around 6:30 p.m. PT, the vast majority of Net neutrality supporters were Democrats. Republicans represented most of the opposition. "

If I'm reading it right, it sounds like we're heading down the road that we never really should've even thought of... They say that they're doing this in the hopes of speeding up companies that need more speed, such as Video content providers, etc, but I have a feeling that isn't where it'll stop either..
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com

ummm no not a good thing
    this is great news, but like i've heard before...don't think everything your read is true

CNN reported that legislation passed. (the amendment to keep it fair did not)
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/06/09/new...net/index.html

"Most Americans believe that if you play fair and work hard, you'll get ahead. But this notion is threatened by legislation passed Thursday night"

Savetheinternet.org reports:
    "Last night’s House vote against an amendment that would make Net Neutrality enforceable is the result of swarming lobbyists and a multi-million-dollar media campaign by telephone companies that want Congress to hand them control of the Internet."

mods...the title is now way different...can it be edited?

If this doesn't make everyone here sick, you're not paying attention.

It's outrageous that these telephone companies could attempt to and DID kill the WWW for their own financial gain and even worse that it was allowed to happen. This is the WORLD WIDE Web ... who the hell do they think they are to tamper with it?

Something is seriously wrong in our government. I am appalled.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

ABW Ambassador
    "the vast majority of Net neutrality supporters were Democrats. Republicans represented most of the opposition."

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    "the vast majority of Net neutrality supporters were Democrats. Republicans represented most of the opposition."
    And that too ...
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

What in the world. Why is there very little buzz going on about this? You would think something like this would cause a big uproar on the net...

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    What in the world. Why is there very little buzz going on about this? You would think something like this would cause a big uproar on the net...
    There should be an uproar heard all over the freaking WORLD not just here, even though we will all be taking it in the shorts if these pigs are allowed to control content and served sites.

I'm all for boycotting all these damn corporations. I absolutely despise Verizon anyway and am about to cancel my long-time cell phone account with them for out and out thievery and over-billing that's been going on for 3 years.

The argument that they will be absorbing the costs of improving on the quality of connection is total BS. It's just a way to tap into OUR income and hold web sites hostage. Any improvement they make to their connections is going to be passed on to the consumer regardless. They're probably rubbing their greedy dirty hands together in glee over this "victory" and our government allowed this to happen, which is another huge bone of contention.

I'm way too pissed to be rational so I'll shut up and /rant.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Great, I can see it now... Shopping for ISP's will be like shopping for cable TV. "Bummer, Time Warner doesn't offer YouTube.." "Hmm, how about Verizon, do they offer MySpace?" "How much extra is it for Google, Yahoo & MSN?" "Hey, I can save $5/mo if I don't visit eBay.." Sounds like fun times ahead.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    Great, I can see it now... Shopping for ISP's will be like shopping for cable TV. "Bummer, Time Warner doesn't offer YouTube.." "Hmm, how about Verizon, do they offer MySpace?" "How much extra is it for Google, Yahoo & MSN?" "Hey, I can save $5/mo if I don't visit eBay.." Sounds like fun times ahead.

- Scott
    OMG - this scenario is even worse than I imagined but makes total sense.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

ABW Ambassador
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=74441

I started a new thread because of the title of this thread, unless a mod wants to change the title of this thread and merge them.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=74441

I started a new thread because of the title of this thread, unless a mod wants to change the title of this thread and merge them.
    Thanks Trust.

Any mod is welcome to change the title of this thread or merge it with Trust's.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Maybe it is just me but I feel, websites such as Vongo, ABC news Video, iTunes should pay something to ISPs for consumeing a lot of their bandwidth.

Sort of like TV.

You pay for cable and the cable companies are paid by the channels to appear on their line-up

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    Maybe it is just me but I feel, websites such as Vongo, ABC news Video, iTunes should pay something to ISPs for consumeing a lot of their bandwidth.

Sort of like TV.

You pay for cable and the cable companies are paid by the channels to appear on their line-up
    So you think we as webmasters should pay for our bandwidth twice? Once to our web host and again to the ISP's? I strongly disagree with that!

- Scott

I think high bandwidth sites such as Movie and Music downloads sites should pay an access fee. The more bandwidth that is used the more upgrades to handle the bandwidth is needed. If high bandwidth sites such as vongo, urge, iTunes don't help upgrade the Infrastructure they’re taking advantage of the cost comes back to you and me in higher cost for hosting and our internet service.

Perfect example is the Microsoft Vista 2 beta downloads. Microsoft could of fed those downloads faster than what they were. But did not because they felt if they did those watching the world cup digitally would suffer because of the high bandwidth usage of people downloading Vista beta 2. if Microsoft per say were forced to pay an access fee to the internet they may be willing to build their own infrastructure or work with ISPs to improve theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    I think high bandwidth sites such as Movie and Music downloads sites should pay an access fee. The more bandwidth that is used the more upgrades to handle the bandwidth is needed. If high bandwidth sites such as vongo, urge, iTunes don't help upgrade the Infrastructure they’re taking advantage of the cost comes back to you and me in higher cost for hosting and our internet service.
    http://www.forbes.com/home/intellige...0428video.html

If YouTube is paying almost $1mil/mo on bandwidth I don't think they're going to want to pay an additional $1mil to TimeWarner, Cox, Verizon, AT&T, etc. Especially when they aren't even profitable yet. Where is the additional money going to come from? Sure, they've got a lot of venture capital, but profits are what's most important. I have a feeling this could crush smaller companies who don't have the capital to become competitive.

- Scott

It probably wouldn't be 1 million a month. They would probably negotiate the way your ISP negotiates now with the backbones

Your ISP pays an access fee to the backbone, the backbones pay an access fee to access other networks.

Remember the Level3 and Cogent dispute. all over access fees

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread