Unhappy CJ Conspiracy Theories!
    I listened to the podcast and have been mulling some CJ Conspiracy Theories:

The reasons for LMI are:

1) measure exactly how many people come to our sites (impression, clicks and tracking them across different sites that also have CJ links)

In other words, an enhanced way of tracking rather than reading the CJ cookie after a click has occurred.

Think about why Microsoft has consolidated their platform on .live.com and Cnet on .com.com They can read cookies as people go from different properties.

In this case, we are properties of CJ.

2) stop forced clicks on adwords, websites etc

(but publishers can still use email links to do this?!)

3) advertisers will be able to dynamically update links without our control.

They can peek, tweak and do anything they want without an publisher intervention.

Sounds great CJ!

Everyone should rally for a choice. HTML and Javascript. If Javascript was so great, people would naturally use it instead of HTML. Instead, we are all being forced to give up control of our websites.
    Last edited by cj_conspiracy; May 30th, 2006 at 04:44 PM.

We already have a choice. Change our CJ HTML links to JavaScript, or change to another network. It's not the choice I want to have to make, but if I'm forced to, I will.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    We already have a choice. Change our CJ HTML links to JavaScript, or change to another network. It's not the choice I want to have to make, but if I'm forced to, I will.
    Yes, not my choice either, but it will sway my thinking in the future if this is what I think it is.

Quite frankly, one of my top merchants had little to no affiliate marketing competition for years, but times have changed and there are now a few competetors at the smaller networks. I now have a choice that I did not have before and if I have to spend my time rebuilding sites and links to what may be an inferior linking system (JS), I might as well move my links to a different network. At the very least, I may do some of that anyway. Maybe it is time for a change.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Don't give up so easily doods. This isn't Linkshare with ultimate spin doctor Messer. Valueclick is a public company that has to adhere to Sarbanes Oxley, amongst other things.

I thought about it some more.

Exactly how is CJ going to handle the millions of Javascript loads when they roll things out. I guarantee it's going to be a disaster.

I'm definitely not giving up. If I had given up, I would be off switching out links instead of being here posting. I still think they'll come to their senses. But if they don't, I'm still not putting up JavaScript links.

I've considered the JavaScript loads, as well. I think it'll be a major load for them. It'll be comparable to impression tracking pixels (and possibly higher since many of us don't use those). Impression tracking pixels are a static image, which servers easily serve. (They then process the impression logs hourly.) JavaScript will need to be dynamic, so it'll have a far higher load on their servers. I agree that it'll be a challenge, but I would hope that they've considered the technical implications. I think it's the business implications that they're missing, and those are just as important.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I'm definitely not giving up. If I had given up, I would be off switching out links instead of being here posting.

I've considered the JavaScript loads, as well. I think it'll be a major load for them. It'll be comparable to impression tracking pixels (and possibly higher since many of us don't use those). Impression tracking pixels are a static image, which servers easily serve. (They then process the impression logs hourly.) JavaScript will need to be dynamic, so it'll have a far higher load on their servers. I agree that it'll be a challenge, but I would hope that they've considered the technical implications. I think it's the business implications that they're missing, and those are just as important.
    I don't know, Michael, from what you posted in the Podcast thread I don't think they have thought about or at least fully tested, the techinical implications: "We are doing benchmarking and as we have results on that we will continue to provide that information to our clients, but we don't think the risks there are that tremendous..."
    7 Days A Week Marketing

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    After thought about this, I see where this is going and its not what you think. This is about multimedia compatability. That is what they are thinking. They want a common platform because they think/see/know that this is the direction that their business is moving towards. Whether its true or not I don't know. I don't think its about giving merchants more control over text, most merchants r too darn busy/lazy to bother. The best merchants have affiliate managers and they aren't going to tweak hundreds, thousands. tens of thousands of text links

The problem is not with what they are doing, its how they are doing it.

Yes, he mentioned that in the podcast but how is Javascript going to be embedded in Audio and Video?

Even the podcast we just listened to, how would you put links in there?

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    If its javascript you can havbe it changed dyamically to whatever you want if coded right. What I don't understand is that javascript is a user-side operation. It would seem that the best way to do it would be server side. But then I suppose they would ahve to make all of our pages end in php or shtml or some such thing which would cause even more of an uproar than we have now.

"2) stop forced clicks on adwords, websites etc"

What forced clicks in Adwords? People are either choosing to click or not. Nobody has a gun to the users head forcing them to click on an Adwords ad.

Yes but sometimes Affiliates can post misleading ads as if they were the merchant.

ABW Ambassador
    "Nobody has a gun to the users head forcing them to click on an Adwords ad."

Paying them works better or use of botnets.

This is a reply I received from Brian Tracy regarding CJ

Thanks for your email. I can certainly understand your frustration with CJ. Many affiliates have the same thoughts right now. I would hate to lose you from the Brian Tracy program altogether though. Would you be interested in working with us via our DirectTrack program? We offer all the same terms, commission rates, cookie durations, etc. If you are interested, please feel free to submit your application here: https://secure.directtrack.com/affil...AME=briantracy

If you do submit an application, please email me to let me know when you have done so. I will be sure to get you approved right away. Thanks again for your email and I really hope that we will be able to continue working together in the DirectTrack program.

Regards,

Does anyone know anything about Direct Track? Maybe we should start an email campaign out to the Merchants?

Lightbulb
    DirectTrack is a very clunky interface. I have other issues with it, but I never thought I would see the day when it would be preferable to CJ.

At least, the CJ merchants are not held to a contract that limits how they set up programs external to CJ. (yet)

Quote Originally Posted by cj_conspiracy

1) measure exactly how many people come to our sites (impression, clicks and tracking them across different sites that also have CJ links)

In other words, an enhanced way of tracking rather than reading the CJ cookie after a click has occurred.
    For those of you not familiar with the recently enacted bill hr 29 here is a summary, I can see why the privacy information needed to be added, but I don't think it's enough to cover the statements below...but then again i'm no lawyer. I've bolded the parts that I think are important to how we do business.

HR 29
    Securely Protect Yourself Against Cyber Trespass Act or Spy Act - Makes it unlawful for any person who is not the owner or authorized user (user) of a protected computer (a computer exclusively for the use of a financial institution or the U.S. Government, or a computer used in interstate or foreign commerce or communication) to engage in unfair or deceptive acts or practices in connection with specified conduct, including: (1) taking unsolicited control of the computer; (2) modifying computer settings; (3) collecting personally identifiable information; (4) inducing the owner or authorized user to disclose personally identifiable information; (5) inducing the unsolicited installation of computer software; and (6) removing or disabling a security, anti-spyware, or anti-virus technology.

Makes it unlawful for a person to: (1) transmit to a protected computer any information collection program (a program that collects personally identifiable information and uses the information to send advertising), unless such program provides notice required by this Act before execution of any of the program's collection functions; or (2) execute any collection information program installed on a protected computer unless, before execution, the user has consented to such execution under notice requirements of this Act. Provides an exception with respect to Web pages visited within a particular website when the information collected is sent only to the provider of the website accessed.

Provides for enforcement of violations as unfair or deceptive acts or practices.

Makes this Act inapplicable with respect to: (1) law enforcement actions; (2) monitoring undertaken for network security; and (3) Good Samaritan actions (actions taken in good faith, and with the user's consent, by a computer software or service provider to remove or disable a program which violates this Act).

Directs the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to report to Congress: (1) annually on enforcement actions taken under this Act; (2) regarding the use of computer tracking cookies in the delivery or display of advertising to computer owners and users; and (3) concerning information collection programs installed before the effective date of this Act.

I'm definitely not giving up. If I had given up, I would be off switching out links instead of being here posting. I still think they'll come to their senses. But if they don't, I'm still not putting up JavaScript links.
    I'm switching links. I don't want to be caught up in the madness when it all hits the fan. At this point it would be financial suicide for me to escape from CJs program completely, but hopefully over the next three months I can make moves to change my position by pushing merchants from other programs forward and backing off of CJs.

It's really a shame. I liked working with CJ and the good seemed to outweigh the bad. Not the case w/ javascripts though, and merchants putting up their poorly worded, over pushy, exclamation pointed BS. I will not have one link after another saying > This weekend only!!!!!!!! The best price on the web!!!!!! Nope..not gonna do it. I would be turning the control of my website over to a bunch of trash.

Besides, my success has not been because I let merchants dictate the wording that appears on my site. It's because of my own training in promotion and SEO that has earned me a check every month. Had I relied on CJ's merchants ability to promote themselves, I'd be broke.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

I'm definitely not giving up. If I had given up, I would be off switching out links instead of being here posting. I still think they'll come to their senses. But if they don't, I'm still not putting up JavaScript links..
    Gee, I've been saying the same thing about LinkShare for years but no luck.

CJ, of course, has a better reputation in my book, so hopefully they will come to their senses and, after reading our many concerns, deal with them.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

I'll throw a simpler conspiracy from CJ at you - since we have until 6/23 to get grandfathered into the older links (at least for a while) everyone is making a mad rush to signup with anybody who has an email address and appears warm - this is CJ's ploy - get a giant rush of interest in signing up with everyone and since CJ is so exciting now maybe they should charge the merchants a bit more...

Exclamation
    this kid won't; I have more than enough to do with what I have.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread