Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    What is natural search ranking degradation?
    One of the 'advantages' that cj is putting forth is to "Prevent natural search ranking degradation" What exactly is that? Also, is there actual evidence that it even exists of it is a theory put forth by some people who have lost placement and they are grasping at straws?

Plus, even if there is such a thing who says that javascript will prevent it, after all if the search engines want to do it, they'll know ur format after June 23 and make the proper adjustments.

ABW Ambassador
    Fear marketing/spin.

The stock plunged 68 cents a share today. (4.08%) Sure hope they come to their senses really quick.

I could be wrong, but I think "Prevent natural search ranking degradation" is their way of saying that it's a benefit that no text in the new links can be spidered by the search engines. There is a fair about off affiliate spam out there, but I'm having a hard time seeing why ValueClick thinks it's in their financial interest to be catering to the search engines like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mastershops
    The stock plunged
    Along with every other stock. :P

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    But I want that text, I want people looking for products to come to my site through search engines. (and other ways) I would rather have degridated text then no text at all. What's the point of haming a page without the name of the products you are trying to sell apparent to the search engines. This is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

ABW Ambassador
    Maybe that's what they mean by natural search ranking degradation? Once you use their javascript links and the SE's can't read the text, your rankings will degrade.

Massive search engine degredation was more associated with data feeds when different affilaites with the same data feed for a given company would stack the top-30 results with identical items, identical prices, all going to the same merchant.

ABW Ambassador
    Prevent natural search ranking degradation
    Harming or lowering rankings in natural, organic search, but as for

catering to the search engines
    not for one single, solitary minute do I believe they're doing that for the benefit of the search engines or to help the people who used to be affiliates but are now "publishers."

I think this is all part of an agenda that they could never publicly admit if it's so.

"Plus, even if there is such a thing who says that javascript will prevent it, after all if the search engines want to do it, they'll know ur format after June 23 and make the proper adjustments."

No Doubt. Their argument does not make sense here. Google will catch on in a month and then degrade the JavaScript Links. Probably more so than text links.

And, I was on a computer with Norton the other day, I saw Direct to Merchant CJ Links in Adwords blocked by Norton, the other URL's showed fine.

So, Norton can already block JavaScript. Argument makes no sense here either.

I did'nt realize CJ were experts in SEO.

Like MC has already said, letting the affiliates use different types of links (including things that already work) would be the smart thing.

Quote Originally Posted by kea12345678
    And, I was on a computer with Norton the other day, I saw Direct to Merchant CJ Links in Adwords blocked by Norton, the other URL's showed fine.
    That is Norton blocking the CJ domains like [removed] etc., not blocking AdWords or Javascript.

I've proposed a solution where performers or 5-bars can register their own domain and have CJ set it up as an add-on mirror domain for their cookies... so we'd each have our own jieganz.net or hkwalg.org for cookie setting. That takes a hell of a lot less server resources than serving up custom javascript links.
    Last edited by MichaelColey; May 30th, 2006 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Please don't post the new CJ domains

"That is Norton blocking the CJ domains like [removed] etc., not blocking AdWords or Javascript."

Right, but if they can block specific URL's that are created from Javascript, as in in AdSense, then Norton can surely black whatever else CJ might come up with.
    Last edited by MichaelColey; May 30th, 2006 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Please don't post the new CJ domains

ABW Ambassador
    I did'nt realize CJ were experts in SEO.
    Anyone can hire consultants or people in-house, and imho they know plenty about SEO, enough to pull this maneuver to hurt affiliate rankings, which makes perfect sense to me.

I heard about 3/4 of their first show on webmaster radio, and I can't help but think of it every time I think of what they're pulling. Most of that show was singing the virtues, beauty and benefits of Ebates for merchants. If affiliate domains start to lose traffic from the engines, sales will go down through the affiliate channel, which will give them even more ammunition to pimp Ebates to merchants - even if the ammunition to shoot affiliates with was created in CJ's own board room.

That's what I think.

Yup, eBates or their own "in-house" affiliate sites such as PriceRunner. Hey, did you hear? You can make $1 CPA by sending your visitors to Pricerunner!

Quote Originally Posted by ojmoo
    One of the 'advantages' that cj is putting forth is to "Prevent natural search ranking degradation" What exactly is that? Also, is there actual evidence that it even exists .
    Read this ; http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/text-links-and-pagerank/

It's from Sept 2005.

Question I have is who is at risk of degradation?

1) The affiliate site with a link
    2) The merchant site that the link eventually goes to after CJ
    3) both

John from Backcountry has been recommended the adding rel="nofollow" as a solution.

He said "If it hasn't happened already, it appears that some of the search
    engines may start penalizing affiliate links, categorizing them as paid
    links."

ABW Ambassador
    This was already discussed in the Backcountry thread, that blog was talking about buying and selling text links for PR for the most part. You're kidding yourself if you think Google doesn't know what sites are "affiliate sites"

"He said "If it hasn't happened already, it appears that some of the search
    engines may start penalizing affiliate links, categorizing them as paid
    links."

Just about every site has some sort of "paid links" on them. Without those sites there would be no index. Google penalizes crap sites, dupe sites etc. With or without affiliate links. Let's say you put up a link to a merchant via CJ. That merchant doesn't get any link popularity/PR boost from it. The Matt Cutts blog and what we're talking about here are 2 different subjects. Also if you check that page, it's very long with 118 comments, the word "affiliate" is only mentioned on that page twice and Matt never used that word.

Natural search ranking degradation does exist and for $5 I will tell you what it is in my new ebook lol.

Seriously this does excist it is the reason why those dang datrafeed sites that have a million links on the homepage have pr0
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    Not because you have affiliate links on your site. And you just said what I just said. Dupe content/crap. That's the reason.

If the search engines really start to go after affiliate sites (not just for dupe content reasons), the next solution is not JS links (they stick out like a sore thumb).

The next solution is totally co-branded and customizable sites that dont have ANY affiliate links and look just like a merchant site all the way up to checkout. JMO

ABW Ambassador
    "If the search engines really start to go after affiliate sites"

Do an ABW search for that. Google going after affiliate sites, Google penalizing affiliate sites etc. People have posted that every single year. If they wanted to do that, they would have. They know which sites are affiliate sites. Google tells you right in the Webmaster Guidelines:

"If your site participates in an affiliate program, make sure that your site adds value. Provide unique and relevant content that gives users a reason to visit your site first."

Don't know why that's hard to understand.

And if you still doubt it, well:

http://www.google.com/

Affiliate sites galore.

Talking
    Well, I agree w/you, that's why I used the word 'If'.

Taken from google quality guidelines
    If your site participates in an affiliate program, make sure that your site adds value. Provide unique and relevant content that gives users a reason to visit your site first.
    http://www.google.com/support/webmas...772&topic=8521
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    Ah yes More of just a general statement to those who think the search engines just want to go after sites because they have some affiliate links on them. What I just posted nyfalcon

Maybe they are just going after a portion of the affiliate sites that were decided, this year, not be of any value any more.

Generic shopping sites, thin affiliate sites and even price comparison sites that have alot of links and little or just repeated content from datafeeds.

And if this portion of affiliate sites was also a significant % of revenue something might be done about it.

But you are probably right, this is just a smoke screen.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1

Do an ABW search for that. Google going after affiliate sites, Google penalizing affiliate sites etc. People have posted that every single year. If they wanted to do that, they would have. They know which sites are affiliate sites. Google tells you right in the Webmaster Guidelines:

"If your site participates in an affiliate program, make sure that your site adds value. Provide unique and relevant content that gives users a reason to visit your site first."

Don't know why that's hard to understand.
    I thought it was kind of common knowledge. Maybe keep it on the QT, Trust.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast