Outsourced Program Manager
    Mood = frustrated
    Hello,

Just need to vent to sympathetic ears.

I just got off the phone with a prospective client (2nd call) who wanted us to run their affiliate program. I've spent hours with them on the phone, explaining why their parasitic partners are cannibilizing their traffic and sales. They say they get it.

They tell me that they have seperate reporting for Affiliate and CPC, so they can check for sales that they paid for twice. I spoke to them a week ago, and then again today. Did they check? No. Don't you think that's important?

Anyway, they call me today, and say "We'd like to hire you, and if you can demonstrate that you can provide enough revenue to offset these affiliates, we'll kick them out".

They don't get it.

ABW Ambassador
    These are the actual merchant you're talking too? I would ask them some questions. Like tell me the value of these affiliates popping from your newsletters, affiliate partners, your PPC spend, your natural results in the search engines, direct type ins. Traffic that is either free or you've already paid for. Dumb to pay for what otherwise would be traffic or pay twice when they pop on their site from their own paid efforts. They bring no value to a merchant. They just sit and target their domain.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suluta
    They don't get it.
    Send them here
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Rodriguez
    Send them here
    Andy are you sure about that link?

The Title in that link is updated "Affiliate Manager Certification Seminar III - Chicago – August 20, 2006", but HURRICANE WILMA is History by now.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    These are the actual merchant you're talking too? I would ask them some questions. Like tell me the value of these affiliates popping from your newsletters, affiliate partners, your PPC spend, your natural results in the search engines, direct type ins. Traffic that is either free or you've already paid for. Dumb to pay for what otherwise would be traffic or pay twice when they pop on their site from their own paid efforts. They bring no value to a merchant. They just sit and target their domain.
    Hey Trust,

No, it was the ecommerce marketing manager who oversaw it all. Personally, I think either he didn't want to explain to "upper management" that they had been losing money all this time, or he did a bad job explaining that they are currently losing money. I literally went step by step, through each process. Like,

ME: "If someone who has them installed on their computer clicks on your ppc ad, what happens".
    HIM "we paid twice".
    ME: Exactly

I even explained how affiliates won't work with them, because these programs "wash their cookies". He claimed to "get it" too.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Rodriguez
    Send them here
    Hey Andy,

What's funny is they're in South Florida, just missed that last one.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Suluta;

Sounds like you have a "seemore". You are not dealing with the decision maker and as long as that is the case the e-com manager is only retrieving information for someone else. Ask him (or her) if they are the one who will make the final decision. If not then you need to speak with the decision maker.

I once spent 6 months trying to close a deal and finally pulled it. Then I get a call that they want to order immediately. I was dealing the whole time with a "seemore" and not the one who would authorize the order.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick
    Suluta;

Sounds like you have a "seemore". You are not dealing with the decision maker and as long as that is the case the e-com manager is only retrieving information for someone else. Ask him (or her) if they are the one who will make the final decision. If not then you need to speak with the decision maker.

I once spent 6 months trying to close a deal and finally pulled it. Then I get a call that they want to order immediately. I was dealing the whole time with a "seemore" and not the one who would authorize the order.
    Thanks Chuck,

I shoulda asked to talk to the uppers. But I'm guessing he would have blocked it, I don't think he wants them to know. I probably handled it the wrong way, cause as soon as he said it, I replied "Then I can't help you, save your money".

Anyway, the good news is, I have people contacting me every week looking for a proposal, and I have some really fun programs on the horizon. I was just frustrated that I spent all that time explaining it to them. I wouldn't really have cared if they said, "We're going with someone else, but we're taking your advice and cleaning up our program."

We just need to remember that this is an uphill battle. They're hearing one side from a guy they don't know and have spoken to twice, on the other side they have a network pushing these guys down their throat.

Lightbulb
    any particular network?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Its tough when you need the work but if you aren't desperate then you can be a bit more patient. They can usually smell eagerness so answer his questions but then leave it up to him. Don't give away too much free consulting. I have had potential clients string me along for many months because I haven't asked them how urgent it was and when they decided to make a decision. I have one of those calls today. Haven't talked to them in 6 weeks and now they are ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ΤΏΤ¬
    any particular network?
    I'm not here to out anyone, but it's definitely one of the usual suspects.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick
    Its tough when you need the work but if you aren't desperate then you can be a bit more patient. They can usually smell eagerness so answer his questions but then leave it up to him. Don't give away too much free consulting. I have had potential clients string me along for many months because I haven't asked them how urgent it was and when they decided to make a decision. I have one of those calls today. Haven't talked to them in 6 weeks and now they are ready to go.
    Agreed, I'm done with the free phone calls. At the end of the call yesterday, I told them they could hire us to train someone at their location. Maybe I can get to them that way.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread