Arrow Why should merchants hide their affiliate programs?
    I'm just curious why everyone seems to think that they should hide the fact that they are affiliates. Does everyone really think that customers are going out of their way to avoid affiliate landing pages?

As a merchant, I prominantly display the link to my affiliate info page, right on the top of my page. Do you think this is a mistake, or as an affiliate, would this turn you off to my program?

Also, please read this text and tell me what you think about it.

We at Ameriline Hosting are proud of our network of dedicated affiliates and the wonderful job that they do in promoting our products. As a matter of fact, it is likely one of them directed you to this page in their marketing effort. Our affiliates work hard to get the word out about our products and services and we ask you, our valued customers, to not be disuaded from buying our products for this reason.

Let the discussion begin!

Thanks
    Wayne

I wish we could have two URLS - one for buyers and one for interested affiliates.

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    We certainly are not ashamed of our affiliates and in fact post two links on our home page asking them to join!

I do not think that but a small (0.1% maybe) group of people would be turned off by this, so for every 1 customer you lose because of this, you will gain 100 by prominently displaying your program.

I figure there are 4 groups of people that come to your site in terms of what people think about affiliate programs.

Group 1 - the internet experts who don't care 10%
    Group 2 - the internet experts who are turned off 0.1%
    Group 3 - People who don't even notice it 80%
    Group 4 - People who have no idea what it is and don't click 9.9%

Those numbers are based on minutes and minutes of research too.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Internet Cowboy
    If I were a merchant, I would have a small mention of my affiliate program on my home page and/or About Us page. I would then have a separate domain for my affiliates. This would be where all of the tools etc. are.

Sierra Trading Post and some others use this and I think it works. I think it is best for your main site to be about selling your product and the affiliate site to be about gaining, training and supporting affiliates. It allows you to have a much more extensive collection of tools for your affiliates. More importantly it allows you to communicate with your affiliates in an environment where no customers are present. If it is a section of the main site, you might feel weird saying something like, "Our blue widget at $59.95 sells like hotcakes and you will make $12 for each one sold!" But on a seperate domain with a much smaller (or nil) chance of customers being accidentally on those pages you can communicate in affiliate language with affiliates. It is like having a conversation in the back room of the store as opposed to on the salesfloor. On the salesfloor, you don't want your AM and your affiliates (sales force) high 5-ing each other over commissions in front of customers.

I place my Affiliate Program link at the bottom of my page. It is not to hide but affiliates are trained with a mindset that such link are at the bottom.

Affiliates will scoll all the way to the bottom of the page to to look for such link. They expect it to be there.

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    I place my Affiliate Program link at the bottom of my page. It is not to hide but affiliates are trained with a mindset that such link are at the bottom.

Affiliates will scoll all the way to the bottom of the page to to look for such link. They expect it to be there.
    Yup! That's always the first place I look since that seems to be where they are usually found.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    If I were a merchant, I would have a small mention of my affiliate program on my home page and/or About Us page. I would then have a separate domain for my affiliates. This would be where all of the tools etc. are.

Sierra Trading Post and some others use this and I think it works. I think it is best for your main site to be about selling your product and the affiliate site to be about gaining, training and supporting affiliates. It allows you to have a much more extensive collection of tools for your affiliates. More importantly it allows you to communicate with your affiliates in an environment where no customers are present. If it is a section of the main site, you might feel weird saying something like, "Our blue widget at $59.95 sells like hotcakes and you will make $12 for each one sold!" But on a seperate domain with a much smaller (or nil) chance of customers being accidentally on those pages you can communicate in affiliate language with affiliates. It is like having a conversation in the back room of the store as opposed to on the salesfloor. On the salesfloor, you don't want your AM and your affiliates (sales force) high 5-ing each other over commissions in front of customers.
    Ditto everything. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I second that dittoage.

There are some aspects of business that customers don't need to see or be reminded of.

You should have the link on the bottom or lower part of the side navigation on your pages because that is how affiliates find prospective programs when searching in the SEs. "Affiliate" + "product type" are the keywords that they use to find new programs to join.

They want to land on the actual site and look around before clicking on the link and looking at your program.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Yeah it's kind of the unspoken word not to boldly advertise B2B stuff on a site meant to cater to consumers.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread