How to charge for banner advertising
    Is there a good guide someplace as to what going rates are for banner advertising? This would be for a site that gets ~100K hits a day - mostly a technical demographic (programmers, etc).

TIA,
    P
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Affiliate Manager jai @ Expedia(SEO)'s Avatar
    hi,

I would do a few things.

Check out the IAB.com site and see a listing of "One-Sheeters" which are used to give advertisers to show what you offer. This will cover you Volume (impressions), placements, demographics, costs, and contact details. By this you can simply give it to say Ogilvy who is handling the Cisco accounts and the Account Director will be able to see who you are at a glance.

I would also ask for the one-sheeters from your competitors to get an idea of what the market will hold. 100K of impressions is not a great deal, but if your audience is VERY specific, then you could ask for 2$ per CPM for gifs (banners), 10$ for Roadblocks (all placements), and 10$+ for Rich media (floating and video)

Here are the types of Ads:
    Banners
    Buttons
    Text
    Rich Media
    Video
    Stream

You could also approach Advertising.com or 247real media to help you sell your inventory. They will also help you better sell your site and give you some good presentations.

I hope that helps, let me know if you have any specific questions about this.

Also, please to not call judge your volume by calling them "hits" it is a first indicator for advertising for a newbie. Call them impressions. =)~

Jai

recomanded = adrite it good in helping u sell ad space..

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by patrick24601
    Is there a good guide someplace as to what going rates are for banner advertising? This would be for a site that gets ~100K hits a day - mostly a technical demographic (programmers, etc).

TIA,
    P
    It really depends on how valuable you and your advertisers consider your traffic to be. I would start selling advertising on the lower side to get advertisers and then increase it slowly. Just for an example of different types of rates, On large networks you can get Run of network buys for as low as $2 CPM but as you get more targeted in your ad buy the rates go up. NYtimes.com for example has CPM rates as high as $45 because they feel their visitors are of high income and willing to spend more. I have seen CPM rates all over the place buy the $5-$10 range is a good place to start.

Have you tried any CPA offers on your site?

There are some offers that would be a good-fit for your website, and you then have full control over the ads that are displayed...

Quote Originally Posted by zx88
    recomanded = adrite it good in helping u sell ad space..
    Adbrite works very well selling your adspace. Once it is in their directory and you have set the price right you will soon find new advertisers. Than if you sold your adspace slowly increase the advertising rate on a monthly basis. If the advertisers disappear lower the price again .

Just as a side note:

Hits can be misleading - for example, you get a hit for every image that's on your page, so a page with a lot of banner ads and tracking images will register a lot of hits each time it loads... even though it may only be for a single visitor.

Not trying to diminish the value of your site's traffic... but I think you should be looking at unique visitor counts and return visitor counts for a more accurate picture of how many people are visiting your site.

Rick, what are some of the ways a webmaster can gauge unique visitor counts?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Rick, what are some of the ways a webmaster can gauge unique visitor counts?

Is this a trick question? Rick, you said to monitor the unique visitors -- okay, how should the webmaster do that?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Analyze your log files with something like AWStats or use a cookie/java based tracking solution like Google Analytics. These programs will combine the hits from a single IP into a count of unique visitors.
    Jason Rosenbaum
    Affiliate Manager
    MINDsprinting

Thanks, MINDsprinter
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

so usually people charge ads based on unique hits or visitor?

advertising.com or doubleclick
    CPM rates. it favors the publisher
    Ma, where the beer? :escape:

There is a lot to know about advertising and should keep yourself constantly informed about advertising techniques and methods that best fit your website. I hope these resources will help you get a clear view of what you need, you couurlld also try focusing on creative [link removed], they can add a lot to your marketing campaign if they are created right.
    Last edited by Merchant Consultant Team; May 14th, 2010 at 10:17 AM.

ABW Ambassador
    Dorran:
    Your post was reported as spam by several members.
    BAN warning

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread