Question Affiliate Housekeeping - Merchant Opinions Please
    For all you merchants out there....my affiliate list is a mess so I'm trying to do some Spring cleaning, but I'd like to get some opinions about the best approach.

Do you delete affiliates? If so, how often do you go through and delete affiliates and how do you decide who to delete (e.g. no hits for the last 6 months, etc)?

Does SAS management clean out affiliates? I noticed that I have some affiliates whose website no longer exists and who haven't has hits in like a year. Does SAS ever delete these affiliates or require affiliates that haven't had a hit in say 6 months (in any merchant program) to say that they still want to be an SAS affiliate (opt-in)?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Janice Smith
    All About Gifts & Baskets
    www.aagiftsandbaskets.com
    Contact Janice

13% Commission | 90 day cookies | Product Datafeed | Quarterly Bonus Program
    Join the AAGB Affiliate Program Today!

ABW Ambassador
    >>>no hits for the last 6 months

Yes and that goes on my to-do list for June.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Nah, I don't do any spring cleaning. That's unnecessary w*rk which has absolutely NO discernable real benefit!

Just use the dropdown to sort the list so those with no hits/sales sit at the bottom, while those with action show at the top.

It's win-win to leave them all in: No w*rk for you, and no pissed-off people coming here claiming they were about to put your stuff up or otherwise cussing you for being trigger-happy.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

If you search, you can find a lot of discussion here on ABW about deleting affiliates. Generally, it's a bad idea. When you delete an affiliate, you burn a bridge.

Instead, why don't you segment your affiliates and work on activation campaigns?

These affiliates signed up because they had an interest in your program. You won't find better leads than that. Think of your inactive affiliate list as a high quality, free recruiting source. Why would you want to get rid of that?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by Leader

It's win-win to leave them all in: No w*rk for you, and no pissed-off people coming here claiming they were about to put your stuff up or otherwise cussing you for being trigger-happy.
    Leader's advice is good.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Leader and Michael both have good points. Instead of deleting them, why not try to contact them and offer help? I've been going through my partner list and trying to contact each of them (nearly 7,000 now so it's no small task). Some of them joined and forgot to put up links and some had valid reasons. So far, it's been a great experience establishing a rapport with our partners and we gained a lot of very valuable feedback. Granted, some may never put up a link or make a sale, but if you remove them then you guarantee they will never generate a sale. Maybe they just have a question that wasn't asked or need help with something. Like Michael said, don't burn the bridge.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Janice,

Suggestion is not to delete or remove anyone, ever. Unless you suspect fraud. And even incase of fraud always let shareasale know first. They are pros at looking out for merchants and affiliates best interest.

I have had some that joined June of last year and were never active. Now with recent "javascript" news and events, i've seen 4 in the last few days showing up with hits that were never even there before or even tracking.

Imagine if I would have deleted them this April for spring cleaning. Goes to show, you never know who might have joined and now be ready for your program.

Concentrate on your site, which looks good, and keep making promos to affiliates about sending and promoting those Happy Birthday Gift Baskets affiliates will take care of the rest.

BTW, welcome to ABW

Answers to your questions: NO and NO (as far as I know; unless there is a violation of the TOS or something else).

Janice, any good merchant/AM will do 1000% of everything possible to motivate those affiliates that have generated "no hits for the last 6 months, etc" to generate them.

...and welcome to ABW!

Geno

Janice, I think most affiliates have good intentions and would like to sell the products.

Sometimes obstacles get in the way of affiliates. A PC crashing is a prime example.

Sometimes affiliates will become frustrated with one merchant (can't get individual product codes or whatever the problem might be) and will concentrate on another or sometimes something happens in the affiliate's private life -- there can be so many variables.

Your best bet would be to post here at least once a month to keep affiliates aware of your affiliate program.

Geno Prussakov is a terrific example of an AM who posts in the forums of ABW to keep in touch with affiliates
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Amen. To have merchants update on a regular basis at forums like this on would be a GodSend. Always good to be up-to-date on what's going on.
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

Just wanted to thank everyone for the great advice! My to do list just keeps growing and growing so I know I won't be bored any time soon Also, thanks for the warm welcomes. I look forward to working with and learning from you all!

Janice

Outsourced Program Manager
    Hi all;

Michael makes a great point, don't delete the affiliates but contact them and offer them bonus and such . I do this all the time. Find it works but only for about 20% of the inactives...

"Instead, why don't you segment your affiliates and work on activation campaigns?

These affiliates signed up because they had an interest in your program. You won't find better leads than that. Think of your inactive affiliate list as a high quality, free recruiting source. Why would you want to get rid of that?"

BUT Michael, What do you do when the email's bounce when you try and contact them and offer them a bonus to activate??
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by Richard - AMWSO

BUT What do you do when the email's bounce when you try and contact them and offer them a bonus to activate??
    Is there any way you could indicate this on the affiliate's control panel?
    Is there an intra-message/mail system?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I agree...don't delete inactives. They may liven up for you and if they don't, they're just a name on a list.

I'm one of those affiliates that had an unexpected months-long delay in getting new sites and new pages up. For quite a while now, I've been maintaining existing sites, but have added no new links.

I had applied to a lot of merchants before this unexpected delay happened, and it's only been the past few months that I've been actively back to adding new sites/new pages.

(And I've got to say, that's the one wonderful thing about affiliate marketing - most of my sites didn't need more than occasional maintenance during this time, and continued to do much the same as they did before I got unexpectedly sidetracked.)

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread