Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    PC Crashed
    Yeah, my hard drive crashed. I'm working on hubby's computer which is better than nothing but none of my apps and data are on it which stinks.

If anyone needs to reach me in the next couple of days please send me a PM through ABW.

Suggestions for a replacement PC are welcome. I don't need anything fancy and would like to keep the cost under $750. I don't need any peripherals, just the CPU.

So, right now I'm going to go make myself a screwdriver and then sit in the woods and throw rocks at trees. Ta-ta.

ABW Ambassador
    http://www.emachines.com/products/

What I use now, voted #1 by Consumer Reports and CNet for budget PC.

Not bad for $530 I believe, not a computer expert:
    http://www.emachines.com/products/pr...tml?prod=T6532

and they have cheaper ones. Never had a problem with the one I use now, of course I keep it clean

if your hard drive crashed why not just replace the hard drive?
    You can get 100 GB for 50 bucks now a days.

if you end up going with a new box, there was a thread that was about new puters before

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=69361

If you're brave, take the $750 dollars, visit eBay, and buy a nice Dell laptop. It's where I ended up buying mine, and the freedom is the best part of all!
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

Lots of good suggestions, thanks all.

I had considered getting a laptop. I'm not brave however so eBay is no-go unless someone can recommend a merchant they've worked with.

I had also considered just replacing the hard drive but the machine is nearly three years old which means it's due to be replaced anyway.

I just want my data off the drive. I will be so freaking happy if it's recoverable. Going into the shop tomorrow so keep your fingers and toes crossed for me.

God, if you just give me back my damn data I promise I'll keep backups of everything for the rest of my life. Amen.

In the meantime I'm drinking a screwdriver so the pain has lessened considerably.

Ouch. Losing data is never fun. I've had it happen before on my PC (accompanied by the ominous click-click-click sound of a harddrive meltdow)..

Depending on how valuable your data is, you could always consider getting a professional data recovery service...but I'm pretty sure the price tag of osmething like that is pretty high.

Either way, good luck! I'm sure God saw your prayer (I doubt anyone could've missed it..)
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com

HP's are now available at most wal-marts, many reasonably priced. I have had good luck with a Compaq bought from Sams Club (not my primary machine mind you, but good). There are lots to choose from at this point for under $750. I like buying from either Costco or Sams because of the no-hassle return policy in case the machine sucks.

Though most of the time I build my own, my workers get ones with warranties cause they tend to screw them up the most. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Lots of good suggestions, thanks all.

I had considered getting a laptop. I'm not brave however so eBay is no-go unless someone can recommend a merchant they've worked with.

I had also considered just replacing the hard drive but the machine is nearly three years old which means it's due to be replaced anyway.

I just want my data off the drive. I will be so freaking happy if it's recoverable. Going into the shop tomorrow so keep your fingers and toes crossed for me.

God, if you just give me back my damn data I promise I'll keep backups of everything for the rest of my life. Amen.

In the meantime I'm drinking a screwdriver so the pain has lessened considerably.
    If I were you I would replace the hard drive.

Wait until January for a Machine with Vista. Would suck to buy a Machine now and then have to spit out money for Vista.

I used to be big on laptops but found out that my neck aches allot less now that I use desktops...Yeah if it's just the hard drive, you can replace it...unless you are just hankering to get a new unit. I do that myself a bit too much and need to cut it out. Have a small collection of unused computers.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    If I were you I would replace the hard drive.

Wait until January for a Machine with Vista. Would suck to buy a Machine now and then have to spit out money for Vista.
    Who wants Vista to begin with? Shouldn't buy into it until after the first Service Pack.

First official releases by Microsoft are really just larger beta test groups.

Quote Originally Posted by MeeMaw
    Who wants Vista to begin with? Shouldn't buy into it until after the first Service Pack.

First official releases by Microsoft are really just larger beta test groups.

Rather be a beta and find hardly any bugs than pay 300 for a new OS.

By the time the first SP comes out, most folks will be ready for a new machine anyway.

Bite the bullet and buy a decent machine now. Laptops - pah, crappy keyboard, screen too low, the turn-on-turn-off switch for the screen when you open/close it always screws up.

Desk tops are ergonomically better, cheaper, faster and better speced (specced, spec'd?). Get an external hard drive while you're at it and back-up every now and then (promise I'll do mine tomorrow). Learnt this the hard way when I pressed the on button one day and nothing happened. Now I replace every 2 years regardless.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Yeah, my hard drive crashed. I'm working on hubby's computer which is better than nothing but none of my apps and data are on it which stinks.

If anyone needs to reach me in the next couple of days please send me a PM through ABW.

Suggestions for a replacement PC are welcome. I don't need anything fancy and would like to keep the cost under $750. I don't need any peripherals, just the CPU.

So, right now I'm going to go make myself a screwdriver and then sit in the woods and throw rocks at trees. Ta-ta.
    Shop at EcomCity and you'll never get ripped off. Just spent 3 days setting up 3 eMachine/Gateway systems for clients who visited my front page. Nice fast eMachines athelon system, 200GB HD, 1 GB ram, Win XP multi-media, DVD/CD & DVD burner etc etc. Topped off with a 19" LCD flatscreen Monitor with 700:1 contrast and 8 ms refresh speed, for a whopping $549.00 after rebates. Tip: add a great HP fast inkjet FREE, after rabate, with any system order.

Remove the Trial McAfee security center bloatware, AOL crapolla & MS Office 2003 trial (already outdated), and add in Microsoft Onecare Beta and Google Picassa. Update all security patches and your good to go with a simple one step auto backup to the DVD/CD burner with a Onecare feature.

Don't forget to search for a coupon during checkout so the thin affiliate sites get the commish as I add no value to the decission
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    Mike I clicked the link on your home page to the computer:

We're sorry, the product you have searched for is no longer available for sale.
    However, product information for this product is still available by clicking on the link below.

Lesson #45 - When linking to a product, make sure product is in stock. This helps in getting sales.

Bit it is a good computer, Best Buy and Circuit City carry them.

I got my wish! The PC is dead but the disk is unharmed.

So I'm getting a new CPU with less disk but twice the memory and they're installing my old C drive on the new box. Don't ask me about its pedigree coz they built the box in their back room. Price $539.

Word of advice...next time you bring something in for repair and you're told they can't get to it until next week...ask them what their "fix it now" price is. You might be pleasantly surprised. "Fix-it-now" only cost me an additional $20.

And I should have my new PC in a couple of hours. Ain't that amazing?!?

That's great news ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    They're saying it'll be delayed again, so I wouldn't count on January.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Congrats Rhea! Good news is always welcome.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar

I got my wish! The PC is dead but the disk is unharmed.

And I should have my new PC in a couple of hours. Ain't that amazing?!?
    Good news Rhea! I'm sure we all felt your pain but without the benefit of the screwdriver to ease it. :-) Smart move ... when there's nothing you can do to fix a problem, get drunk and forget it. LOL

Nothing's worse than losing all your data. I have a daily back up going on in the background of my new rig. Don't have to think about it, it just backs up at the same time every day onto a DVD. When the DVD needs to be replaced, it alerts me, I pop a new DVD in and it goes about its business. You absolutely have to have daily back up if you're in business. It can be so easy and easy to set up. If I had to think about it and do something to back up, I would shine it on and get stuck so my computer guy sets all this stuff up so I don't have to think. Gotta love it. :-)

Any time I upgrade to a new computer, I get the best available and get all the goodies I can. A year later, it's all obsolete and I'm ready for a new one but it's a business expense and should be the first expense considered in an annual budget. As my tech guy told me a few years ago: "It's not a matter of IF your HD will crash, it's a matter of WHEN." I ain't taking any chances ...
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

http and a telephoto
    Yippee I have a hard drive in the freezer right now, 160 gigs of mostly backed up already images, but not the ones I made this weekend Hoping the freezer trick doesn't fail me... it has worked the last several crashes....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

The data on that disk is worth much more than the price of the new PC. Now that I'm not smoking anymore hopefully the new machine will last longer than this one.

I have no freaking excuse for not doing backups. It's not like I don't understand the potential for disaster. I bought a gizmo that will allow us to backup both computers. It'll be hooked up to my machine most of the time but we can hang it off hubby's machine when he needs to back up data. I'm pretty sure it came with software so I can run it in background overnight. Nothing like a little peace of mind.

Hey, thanks all for your good wishes. That helped even more than the vodka!

I have no freaking excuse for not doing backups.
    I think we all go through that at least once. I learned (after a few problems) to force myself to do it. I bought the biggest usb key drive that I could, and just pop it in there to backup the important stuff on a regular basis. Every once in a while, I do the full kit and kaboodle.

Good news, Rhea! Glad the disk didn't die on you.

I do a full backup automatically every night. The last time I had a hard drive crash, though, I discovered that my backups had been failing for six months. (What a major sinking feeling!) I ended up recovering almost everything, but it took a couple weeks and hundreds dollars worth of recovery software and new hardware. Now, I check regularly to make sure my backups are actually working.

I highly recommend SpinRite (even/especially before you have problems). That did the most good for me. Steve Gibson is incredible.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast