Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Merchant's response to me re: new links
    Today has been one of those days where I want to tell merchants to **** off!

I called and spoke to a rep from store on CJ (don't know or think it would be appropriate to post here)

I was calling initially because their VP surfed my site and stored cookies - then when he went to place phone orders on site, my site got the credit...over $400 in commisisons worth of mistakes... ugh....

Anyway, I asked her about the new links and she was said, "Yeah, we're all for it!" I then asked about how it will affect the publishers - especially the ones who ARE ethical and working their butts off to promote the merchants.

She replied, "Yeah, it's unfortunate - but overall it's a good thing. It will stop the bad business practices going on."

So to sum it up they don't seem to give one rat's ass about affiliates leaving the network. I told her many affiliates would indeed be leaving - she didn't seem concerned in the least.

I'm disgusted and wonder why I am even bothering.

Any words to calm my Italian temper down? LOL!

By the way, do any of you get sick of the condescending tones and the attitude that we're lucky they're speaking to us?!

ABW Ambassador
    which bad business practices?

Quote Originally Posted by showmethemoney
    Today has been one of those days where I want to tell merchants to **** off!

I called and spoke to a rep from store on CJ (don't know or think it would be appropriate to post here)

I was calling initially because their VP surfed my site and stored cookies - then when he went to place phone orders on site, my site got the credit...over $400 in commisisons worth of mistakes... ugh....

Anyway, I asked her about the new links and she was said, "Yeah, we're all for it!" I then asked about how it will affect the publishers - especially the ones who ARE ethical and working their butts off to promote the merchants.

She replied, "Yeah, it's unfortunate - but overall it's a good thing. It will stop the bad business practices going on."

So to sum it up they don't seem to give one rat's ass about affiliates leaving the network. I told her many affiliates would indeed be leaving - she didn't seem concerned in the least.

I'm disgusted and wonder why I am even bothering.

By the way, do any of you get sick of the condescending tones and the attitude that we're lucky they're speaking to us?!
    I think you'll get that alot, simply b/c most merchants (and affiliates for that matter) don't really know how to proceed from here. Since it's a bad option for both parties, the only real thing to do is to rally together and confront CJ about it; which to me would be a dream come true.

Where's Mel Gibson with his blue face paint when you really need him...
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

ABW Ambassador
    I got the Braveheart music in my sig.

http://javascript-links-as-the-only-...aremighty.com/

Yea, I am curious as to what bad business practices they keep talking about.

ABW Ambassador
    2006 - Best SIG Award

Sweet. Braveheart is probably top 3 of my most loved movies of all time. I mean, who doesn't want to charge the fields of Bannockburn, swingin' a 50 pound axe..?
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com

Agreed. Can you let us know what the actual problem was (reexplain it)? Cookies-phone orders? I don't get it myself.

did they take away your commission from their vp buying stuff? I'd think they should let you keep it, since he did click your link.

Cool
    Hi!
    Basically what happened is that the VP had been surfing my site - then he had a bunch of phone orders that came in (wholesale orders) and he put the purchase through on their site but with my cookies attached.

Needless to say I had a bunch of whopping commissions....they told me today that they fixed it - but the bonehead STILL didn't clear his cookies and I made another $50 from their site! LOL
    Just ticks me off....

This happened a while back with another merchant - their programmers wanted to test the links so they used my site as the guinea pig..

Can I ask you guys a question? HOw are you going to handle though, if you leave CJ, losing all the natural search queries that now come to you through the various SEs if you dump CJ.
    I mean, how can you replace a "Buy.com" or "Payless Shoes". Share-a-sale has a lot - but not perhaps what people are looking for.

How can you feel "okay" with leaving - especially for those of us with thousands of CJ links on our site.

You all seem so calm... I would love to feel that way too....if even for a little while. ;-)

Needless to say I had a bunch of whopping commissions....they told me today that they fixed it - but the bonehead STILL didn't clear his cookies and I made another $50 from their site! LOL
    Just ticks me off....
    lol...I take it the commissions were reversed? Or is this a principle thing? For a second there, it sounded like you were allowed to keep them, but you were still getting peeved..

Can I ask you guys a question? HOw are you going to handle though, if you leave CJ, losing all the natural search queries that now come to you through the various SEs if you dump CJ.
    I mean, how can you replace a "Buy.com" or "Payless Shoes". Share-a-sale has a lot - but not perhaps what people are looking for.

How can you feel "okay" with leaving - especially for those of us with thousands of CJ links on our site.

You all seem so calm... I would love to feel that way too....if even for a little while. ;-)
    I think some of these people here talk a big talk, but in the end stay where the $ is. I know I'd love the opportunity to only promote sas or some other easier program's stores, but it isn't gonna happen right now. CJ makes me good $, and I'm not leaving. Sure I drop stores here & there for treating me badly, but in general for the forseeable future, if I need to find a new way to tweak links so they conform to the new javascript format, I may ***** & moan about it, but I'm gonna do it.

Quote Originally Posted by ReallyBigGuy
    I think some of these people here talk a big talk, but in the end stay where the $ is.

I may have to agree with you on that, because last year I saw something similar and "No One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" back then!

Well. thats probably what CJs counting on.

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyBusiness
    lol...I take it the commissions were reversed? Or is this a principle thing? For a second there, it sounded like you were allowed to keep them, but you were still getting peeved..

Ha Ha - sorry 'bout that. No, they were reversed - a couple are still there. I'm not saying another word! If they catch 'em, great - if not, that's better.

Their attitude was just so LOUSY!

Thanks for replying about leaving CJ - you pretty much summed up how I feel too.

I'm not planning to leave CJ just yet, but if the times comes and it has to be done, all of the natural search queries that now come to my sites through the various SEs are going to go through a redirect if I have to dump CJ.

How can I replace any merchant if I have to? Well, It might not be that easy, but it can be done.

Just because I run out of bread, doesn't mean that I have to close my bakery, since I can always try to sell them some cake, or pastries while they are there.

And while it's true that I might lose some bread customers, it's also true that I might gain some loyal cake and pastries customers too.

I will never feel "okay" with leaving anything that I was use to do, nor any place that I use to live, but there come times in our lives that we must move on for one reason or another.

Some of us have learned the hard way how stay calm, even under extreme pressure, and if you would love to feel that way too, just learn to live one day at the time, and don't take shit from no one, because life is too short to worry about the details sometimes.

Sal.

Here's my basic plan:

First, I'm going to pursue all other options before I just dump CJ. I've been working with them for seven years now, and I really don't want to see that relationship end.

My preferred option is to continue trying to convince CJ that they're making a major mistake by requiring all links to be changed to JavaScript. Although they don't show signs of reversing course, I'm not going to give up.

My second option is a two click solution. While it's technically a solution, it will hurt conversions and there's no guarantee that CJ will allow it.

Only as a last resort will I actually leave CJ. But I will leave them if they continue down this course of requiring all links to be JavaScript links.

The net impact on me would be minimal.

1) Many CJ merchants run their programs on multiple networks. In the past, CJ has always been my network of choice (after SAS) for merchants who were on multiple networks. (With the JavaScript change looming, they're now dead last on my preferred network list.) I can easily switch those multi-network merchants over to those other networks and will soon begin to do so.

2) I'm actively discussing possibilities with my top CJ-exclusive merchants. They don't want to lose my business any more than I want to lose my commissions, so I'm sure many of them will offer in-house tracking, will open up secondary programs on other networks, or offer other solutions.

3) For the ones that are left, it will be no big loss. I have several good performers on CJ, but I have a bunch of poor-performing programs that wouldn't be missed at all.

In the meantime, I'm focusing all new efforts on merchants at other networks, especially SAS.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

First of all, CJ hasn't made the transition yet.

There are rumors that can be read at various places that CJ would like to shake some affiliates off -- but is that true? Really true?

I heard somewhere that there might be a grace period
    I decided to apply en masse to CJ affiliate merchants.
    So does CJ want to shake me off? They'll have fun because I've just been accepted to many programs.
    I decided to affiliate with more CJ merchants than I ever thought I would.
    At the same time I'm hedging my bets by applying to CJ merchants who have SAS accounts.

I usually wait until I've create a site or a section of a site that would be a "perfect fit" (or some way of reasonably promoting the merchant) in order to apply. Sometimes I am shy in applying: I wonder if I will be rejected or not?

Well, after reading the JS stuff that CJ intends to inflict upon its affiliates, I decided that with CJ all bets are off. I decided to apply to any program that would remotely fit in with what I do. I've been accepted to at least 50 new programs.

So what do I intend to do?
    I intend to leave my present CJ links up because they should meet the grace period criteria. If CJ makes things tough, I won't add any of the new links.
    I won't formally leave either

I want to see what happens

CJ has many good merchants and I have made $ with CJ so I want to take this in a cool and casual manner (and I can have that attitude because I have multiple back-ups).

Remember just a little while ago when everyone was whining about Linkshare's Synergy Analytics? Linkshare is looking better after the CJ announcement, isn't it?

There's always a glitch in this system and that system, so apply everywhere and something will work out
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Tranquillo ... calma ti, piano piano, fumi un blunt :-)

I'm flipped too, SMTM and my Italian temper is also a force to contend with but it's not gonna do us any good in this situation ...

If we're all honest, we're not gonna yank all CJ links off our sites until we absolutely have to. If/when I have to replace them all (yes thousands ...) with java script links, I'll replace the merchants I can and try to work with the ones I can't. I don't want java script links on my site any more than anyone else does. It's absolute bullsh*t and my site is not designed or set up to include changing text so I'll have to bail on most merchants if they don't figure out how to leave html links for us to use as well.

All we can do is hope they'll leave us an option. CJ has viable merchants. No one in their right mind would just drop their association with CJ unless it was an absolute necessity. Sadly, this seems to be the absolute necessity.

It's amazing how much crap is happening to try to kill our businesses, huh? We can all turn our sites and traffic over to paying advertisers and f*ck the networks, the parasites and merchants who think they're doing us a favor by allowing us the freaking privilege of making commission off sales we bring to them. If I don't get paid, I don't work. It's the same thing online ... if a merchant isn't converting, what's the point of keeping them on our site. If a network makes life too difficult and doesn't value our contribution and doesn't respect our efforts, f*ck 'em. Sell those network links to a paying advertiser and remove the grief. Your paying advertisers will be thrilled with the amount of business they get from your traffic. I'll shut up now ... been down this same rant road before and it never goes over well here. LOL
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Action Jackson - King of the World
    You should ost the name of the idiot merchant so we can all drop them

I will be following the same plan at Michael, which is basically what I did with LinkShare. There are so many merchants out there now at other smaller networks and trust me, when they find out you can make sales, they make you all kinds of special deals. Although I've been with CJ for nearly five years, I'll probably never leave them...I'll just think twice before I sign up for new merchants and will over time, move to non CJ merchants as opportunities present themselves.

Regardless of whether Javascript links are good or bad, fast or slow, I'm peeved that I have to change hundreds of hand typed links on nearly 80 sites, regardless of how much time they keep bragging about giving us. It's still a lot of work and not productive. And how is to say two years from now they don't make us change to some other linking system?
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by 7-days
    ...I'll just think twice before I sign up for new merchants and will over time, move to non CJ merchants as opportunities present themselves.
    Same here. I'm just waiting to see how this unfolds before I freak out about all the work I have to do. In the meantime, there's no way I'll be signing up for new merchants (even before the deadline).

Quote Originally Posted by Gr_Sacc
    In the meantime, there's no way I'll be signing up for new merchants (even before the deadline).
    Many are signing up (to get grandfathered for a short time), but I agree with you. There's no way I'm going to put up links for new CJ merchants or do any extra development for CJ merchants until I see how this is going to turn out.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

After reading the above I just realized this is not going to be a good thing for new merchants signing up at CJ over the next couple of months. I'n not suggesting a ban of new links, but affiliates are smart people. They are not going to put forth work on new links right now only th have to change them in less than a month.

Sadly, I don't think CJ thought this part out very well and I feel bad for the new merchants signing up for CJ during this period.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Lightbulb
    I'm lucky that I work with some indies for which I have made niche sites. I make more from them than I do any of the network people.

And my "general" sites, actually just banner farms, I can put anyone on or off those pages with ease.

I'm not going to drop CJ right now or very very soon, but I have to go where the money is and if it stops . . . they are gone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast