CJ Performer Question
    Or, maybe even is you are not a CJ perfromer, but are some sort of "Super Affiliate". However you want to define that...

How many of you all have employees?

Is there anyone who is still a sole proprietorship? Or, have most moved on to LLC status or Inc'd?

In termf of employees, I would love for someone to help with what I do at CJ, but I am always afraid that they would just steal my ideas and open their own shop.

Have them sign a non-compete agreement first. That will greatly reduce the chances of that happening. Extra help is good if you can afford it.

Be careful about non-compete agreements. That might give you an illusion of protection but in several states including California (where I'm from), depending on the conditions, they are NOT enforceable.

Yes, companies still float it since they assume employees don't know better. Knowledge is power.

California Business and Professions Code 16600. "Except as provided in this chapter, every contract by which anyone is restrained from engaging in a lawful professiona, trade, or business of any kind is to that extent VOID"

As a employee, I love California!
    As an employer, I hate this liberal stance. (I'm liberal btw).

Bottom line, good luck enforcing a non-compete in california... though if you're in the Red states, boy... go for it!

Slightly off-topic: I remember a previous job I had... they tried to make me sign a trade secret agreement, I basically told them how each part is void in california and referenced various sections in california law... end result, didnt sign it... though that didn't stop them from making everybody else sign it... lol silly employers.

Also, in terms of LLC/inc, don't be under an illusion that that'll protect you from personally liability from YOUR actions. So if you're a one man shop, and you form a corporation, and you were neglient, YOU are still responsible. On the other hand, if your employee did something, you did shield your liability in that sense, but not from YOUR actions.

And the best part... if you terminate a employee for refusing to sign a non-compete agreement in California, the employee can sue you and win! while the HR lady is handing you the box make sure you're thanking her in your head (don't tell her that though)

re: Walia v. Aetna, Inc. $1 million dollar award. (affirmed by appellate court too)

bottom line: know your jurisdiction and legal limits... you don't want to hire me as your first employee .

Quote Originally Posted by kea12345678
    Or, maybe even is you are not a CJ perfromer, but are some sort of "Super Affiliate". However you want to define that...

How many of you all have employees?

Is there anyone who is still a sole proprietorship? Or, have most moved on to LLC status or Inc'd?

In termf of employees, I would love for someone to help with what I do at CJ, but I am always afraid that they would just steal my ideas and open their own shop.
    No employees, no incorporation of any kind, just working in the evenings after the day job.

As far as stealing what you do, ideally you can delegate tasks that may not divulge how you do what you do. It's not like most people who would be looking for a job see that you have a coupon site (for example) and could go out there and compete with you in any reasonable amount of time.

It's also amazing how you can find the most talented programmers, designers and even online marketers who don't realize what they have and could do if they really put their minds to it.

That's one reason affiliate marketing can be so lucrative - because so few people who work in the online industry can put it all together - even many (most?) companies still don't really get the Internet and how to streamline marketing efforts to make it work on affiliate payouts.
    Last edited by Superstar; June 2nd, 2006 at 12:40 AM.

The great thing about internet marketing is its scalability...

In most cases, if you have a great idea, just go and do it yourself. If you are convinced that it needs lots of capital, there's a good chance others have already tried it and failed, or have passed on the idea because it is unworkable.

We are two part-timers who are 5-bar CJ performers, and account for something like 1% of CJs turnover.

Rob

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread