The end for pages that have >5 affiliate links?
    I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain about this change and how it will ultimately affect my usage of Ebay affiliate links, given that many of my pages have 5-25 affiliate links on them.

I don't use any CJ banners at all.

I either use:

1. Ebay editor kit. This comes directly from Ebay, not CJ.

2. Specific text links using the flexible destination tool: <A HREF=http://blahblahlong-assed-link-with-a-SEARCH_TERM-hidden-in-it>word or phrase</a>

I've already seen how pages bog down because of the editor kit JavaScript. I cannot fathom how slow a page with 5-25 JavaScript calls (text links) will load.

How can this change *possibly* mean better network performance? It's exactly the opposite. Right now, if I have a page that has 10 text links on it the only way CJ's server gets hit is if someone actually clicks a link. Under the new system CJ will be hit with 10 requests every time the page *displays*.

A bigger concern is that any problem with CJ's network could keep MY SITES from displaying. I've already seen this with the editor kit. If Ebay is having major server/network problems and can't serve code fast enough, my pages will stop loading, or load extremely slowly. Now multiply this be a factor of 10.

CJ's servers/network have an outage = your web site comes crashing down.

Before, the worst that could happen would be that your visitors wouldn't be able to get to the merchant. Now the actual display and performance of your web site is at the mercy of CJ's network performance.

That scares the living hell out of me.

Maybe it's just me (and I'm prone to overreact), but this seems to be complete disaster in the making, and I cannot believe that anyone technically proficient signed off on this idea.

What am I missing? I'm obviously too stupid to fully understand the pros and cons here.
    EPN - Cautiously, but paranoically, optimistic.

You're 100% right with your concerns.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

15 years and counting
    dharding - This seems to be complete disaster in the making, and I cannot believe that anyone technically proficient signed off on this idea
    We saw their poor technical skills after each of their major upgrades. Each time it was a disaster but with their LMI we can predict a cataclysm.
    They don't even have enough common sense to keep our html links and start experimenting with optionnal JavaScript links for the few merchants requiring them. Why don't they start an advertising network with these merchants and leave us alone?

Well, hopefully CJ have not farmed this programing project out to a third party to develop that knows nothing about what we do (like Linkshare did).
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

I found this thread regarding this issue on Ebay's forum:

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/thread.js...=1149252204353

Anyone knows if Ebay likes the Javascript link? I promote EBAY and cerntainly don't want to put javascript links on my page.

Quote Originally Posted by dharding
    I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain about this change and how it will ultimately affect my usage of Ebay affiliate links, given that many of my pages have 5-25 affiliate links on them.

I don't use any CJ banners at all.

I either use:

1. Ebay editor kit. This comes directly from Ebay, not CJ.

2. Specific text links using the flexible destination tool: word or phrase

I've already seen how pages bog down because of the editor kit JavaScript. I cannot fathom how slow a page with 5-25 JavaScript calls (text links) will load.

How can this change *possibly* mean better network performance? It's exactly the opposite. Right now, if I have a page that has 10 text links on it the only way CJ's server gets hit is if someone actually clicks a link. Under the new system CJ will be hit with 10 requests every time the page *displays*.

A bigger concern is that any problem with CJ's network could keep MY SITES from displaying. I've already seen this with the editor kit. If Ebay is having major server/network problems and can't serve code fast enough, my pages will stop loading, or load extremely slowly. Now multiply this be a factor of 10.

CJ's servers/network have an outage = your web site comes crashing down.

Before, the worst that could happen would be that your visitors wouldn't be able to get to the merchant. Now the actual display and performance of your web site is at the mercy of CJ's network performance.

That scares the living hell out of me.

Maybe it's just me (and I'm prone to overreact), but this seems to be complete disaster in the making, and I cannot believe that anyone technically proficient signed off on this idea.

What am I missing? I'm obviously too stupid to fully understand the pros and cons here.

Thanks for that link. In it, when Jarrod says:

Hello Everyone,

I apologize for our delay on this. We are currently discussing with Commission Junction this new initiative and hope to have more eBay specific information shortly.

Thank you for your patience as we work through all the details with CJ.

Jarrod
    It sounds very much like all the other merchants at CJ who wrote how they really don't know how this will impact them and how they were not informed ahead of time. Jarrod did not state this, but that was my impression when I read this. Nice cover on his part, if so.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Nice thing about this new JavaScript link system from CJ - there won't be a question if CJ's servers are online and tracking - if not, your pages won't load to start with!

Just for the record, I think the eBay Editor Kit is a fantastic use of JavaScript.

1) It's OPTIONAL. You can use it, or you can use text links (at least until CJ takes that away!).

2) You typically just have one on a page, so it has very little impact on page loads.

3) It's OPTIONAL. Did I say that already?

4) It's highly configurable by the affiliates. I'm able to change it to display exactly what I want displayed.

5) It's OPTIONAL.

6) eBay has millions of items up for auction, and they change continually. This is a simple way to display them. When I design parts of pages to use the eBay Editor Kit, I design it not knowing the exact items that will be displayed, but knowing generally what people will see (category, keywords, etc.). It isn't appropriate in most places, but I'm able to find some good uses for it in some places.

7) It's OPTIONAL.

8) By specifying exactly what categories and keywords I want, I'm able to know that it will always show what I want shown. eBay doesn't change out an Editor Kit that did show Xbox 360 consoles and start showing PS3 consoles just because they're hot. It always shows what I choose.

9) It's OPTIONAL.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I agree with Michael. Javascript link should be OPTIONAL.

The end for pages that have >5 affiliate links?

1 - JavaScript call to Site-Navigation menu.
    2 - Some SSI calls to Header and Footer file. (Not a JavaScript call, but sill a call.)
    3 - JavaScript call to Page-Tracker. (SM, GA, etc...)
    4 - JavaScript call to Adsense.
    5 - JavaScript call to Any Products-Display table. (PSC, GC, etc...)

Now we can begin to count the CJ JavaScript calls and add to the first five server loads already in progress.

6 - JavaScript call to just one CJ Smart-Zone. (Maybe 1?)

7 - How many more JavaScript calls to the new CJ links?

7a.. New CJ JavaScript calls to CJ Merchant product links.
    7b.. New CJ JavaScript calls to CJ Merchant product pictures.
    7c.. New CJ JavaScript calls to CJ Merchant product descriptions.
    7d.. New CJ JavaScript calls to CJ Merchant product coupons.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Just for the record, I think the eBay Editor Kit is a fantastic use of JavaScript.

1) It's OPTIONAL. You can use it, or you can use text links (at least until CJ takes that away!).

2) You typically just have one on a page, so it has very little impact on page loads.

3) It's OPTIONAL. Did I say that already?

4) It's highly configurable by the affiliates. I'm able to change it to display exactly what I want displayed.

5) It's OPTIONAL.

6) eBay has millions of items up for auction, and they change continually. This is a simple way to display them. When I design parts of pages to use the eBay Editor Kit, I design it not knowing the exact items that will be displayed, but knowing generally what people will see (category, keywords, etc.). It isn't appropriate in most places, but I'm able to find some good uses for it in some places.

7) It's OPTIONAL.

8) By specifying exactly what categories and keywords I want, I'm able to know that it will always show what I want shown. eBay doesn't change out an Editor Kit that did show Xbox 360 consoles and start showing PS3 consoles just because they're hot. It always shows what I choose.

9) It's OPTIONAL.

Michael, I think you left one out: It's Optional
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

ABW Ambassador
    Merchants should load up their merchant sites with loads of javascript and let me know if your sales skyrocket because of slow loading pages.

Lightbulb
    the real option is to avoid CJ after all this hooraw.

why does a company as large as ebay use cj?

like amazon, ebay seems to have projects in constant development which requires skilled programmers. In my opinion one problem at cj is the skill level (lack thereof) of their programmers. Like amazon, ebay has a name brand and a following that would make it easy to recruit affs.

It would seem to me that ebay is more important to cj than cj is to ebay so why wouldn't cj consult with ebay on a change this big?

just thinking at the keyboard and rambling

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I'm not going to redesign the layout of the sales page on all my sites and rebuild them to accommodate CJ's javascript frenzy. The CJ links will come down and be replaced with SAS and indie links.

I hope CJ's merchants are listening. If they haven't started looking into setting up an indie program yet then at minimum they should be screaming their heads off at CJ to not proceed with this idiotic idea that makes both merchants and affiliates complicit in VC's datamining scheme.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread