Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    HELP! Outlook Express
    Hey kids!

Some of you have read my post that my PC crashed earlier this week. I have a new PC now and my old C drive has been installed as the E drive on my new machine.

I'd like to import to the version of Outlook Express that runs off C: the Address Book and Mail Folders (with mail) from the version of Outlook Express that's on E:. Can anyone tell me which files the address book and mail folders are in and how I can either copy/paste them into the new version of OE or if they have to be imported (and how that's done).

Also I need to add mail accounts for my web sites to OE. I thought I remembered how to do that but it doesn't work. Can anyone help?

Thank you! I'm heading out the door for a few hours so TIA for any help!

Rhea
    pssssst definitely passed the kid age quite a while ago lol Really sorry to hear about your computer. Can't help with Outlook Express since I don't use it but I'm sure somebody here does and will have the answer for you If for some reason they don't our daily newspaper has a tech. column that features questions and answers and has an archive so maybe yours does too. If not, I'm sure any of the big city papers do and pretty sure you can find the answer there. Good luck and sorry I couldn't help

There's quite a bit of help online - here's one I found just now that looks pretty comprehensive

http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/

In the past when I've had trouble, I just went to a support site - I can never remember what I did last time - and I can never find my book.

Hope this helps a little.

Take this with a grain of salt and verification if you are not certain after looking into this

on xp (yeah I know it sucks ;-)

Docs & Settings\user name\application data\microsucks\address book

to find your mail boxes just do a search for *.dbx and that should lead you to
    dos&settings\user name\loacl setting\application data\identieies\(pick yours)\microsucks\outlook

you should be able to just copy paste and be up n running, as the program is already installed, your just filling in the user data....i think ;-)

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I love Outlook Express over Outlook but get stucking using the latter for business due to the calendaring and task lists. Outlook Express has a great import feature in the File menu. First you have to find the old data. For a clue go to the Tools menu, click on Options and then the Maintenance tab. Click on the Store Folder button and it will point you to where info will be stored. That should help you find the store folder on the old drive. Good Luck

Thanks all but it looks hopeless.

Chuck your advice would have been perfect except that I can't drill down to the necessary folder/file I can only type it in *and* Outlook won't accept a type-in in the field, only a drill down.

It amazes me that MS hasn't fixed this problem in spite of the fact that people have been screaming about it for years. It should be as simple as clicking on a button.

Oh well. Thanks for trying to help everybody!

Now would be a good time to switch over to Thunderbird. I like Thunderbird so much more than the Outlooks.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

Now would be a good time to switch over to Thunderbird. I like Thunderbird so much more than the Outlooks.
    You beat me to the punch here assuming you use Firefox.

Now when it comes to wine I prefer "Night Train Express" over "Thunderbird".

I use Outlook full version rather than express which has an "import / export" wizard. Look for it using the help feature. It's easy to use as I remember. Outlook is notorious for storing files in a blck hole you can't find by normal means. Hope this helps.

Hey Paul, that did the trick.

I couldn't get OE to import from another version of itself on a different disk. (I'd like to slap whoever designed that module.) Outlook has the same problem, you can't specify which disk OE is on; the software assumes it's on the same disk. So, here's the solution:

Install Outlook
    Copy-paste all the files in the original OE folder to the new OE folder
    Use the import function in Outlook to import the files in OE (which now includes all the old files copied from the other disk).

I'm not altogether crazy about Outlook but I really do need the Calendar utility so I guess it's no big hassle.

Thank you all again! Whodathunk this would turn out to be such a production?

I'm not altogether crazy about Outlook but I really do need the Calendar utility so I guess it's no big hassle.
    I use the nice calendar extension for Thunderbird. It seems to have everything I was using in Outlook.

I use Firefox, and Outlook. I've never heard of Thunderbird.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread