Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Too many restrictions!!
    There are too many restriction on ABW.
    Some merchants requested to PM them in their and being relatively new, I cannot do that. Or some of the threads are only viewable for senior members.

Very very Frustrating!!

Of the many forums that I visit daily, ABW really locks it down until it defeats the purpose to sharing info and networking..

Any plan to give PM abilities to all members and other features????????

Maybe ABW can learn from
    http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/

[Sig Removed]
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; June 3rd, 2006 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Here's another rule ... no sig until you earn it.
    Ma, where the beer? :escape:

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    restrictions are in place for a reason. patience young jedi

ABW Ambassador
    Just MHO, but the policies here are just about the most liberal I've seen. And a niche automotive forum can't in any way be compared to any *webmaster* type forum, they wouldn't come within a mile of having to deal with the same type of issues.

Some merchants requested to PM them in their and being relatively new, I cannot do that
    They probably get email notifications of new posts in threads they've posted in, so just post in a message that you can't PM yet and ask for their email address. Actually, AMs should have email addies available to get in touch with them, or contact info on their site, if they've got it in their sig.

Besides, just out of curiosity, if their site isn't in their sig and they don't have a forum here, why would they be wanting someone to PM them?

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    Besides, just out of curiosity, if their site isn't in their sig and they don't have a forum here, why would they be wanting someone to PM them?
    (TongueInCheek) Good question. I wonder if that has anything to do with the PM restrictions? (/TongueInCheek)
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Basically, one would have to get like xxxx number of post before.

1) PMing a account manager?
    2) having a signature?
    i.e. my signature was remove and it is only my website..

I am suprised that nobody remove the toyota website which i posted in my first post as my link link in my signature was removed..

Well it is quite apparent that the restrictions are frustrating the very element that they are meant to frustrate. You just couldn't wait, could you?

it's like this defeats the purpose of a website.

it;s like the trade off of functionality / growing website for ABW v. extreme control

The restrictions defeat the purpose of shiftless drifters who just want to blow through town with the wind and leave their litter and droppings behind.

Quote Originally Posted by NoWires
    The restrictions defeat the purpose of shiftless drifters who just want to blow through town with the wind and leave their litter and droppings behind.
    true. but at the same time, it reduces the ability of those who are really keen in contributing to the society/ABW.
    Most major forum have lilttle or no restrictions and they are growing exponentially.. take for example, www.fatwallet.com
    But they have 2-3 moderators in each section of the forum. Last i heard, they hired lots of Full time staffs to handle their expansion/growth

So new, knows so much.

Look we have been here a long time and I guess haiko and the members here know what is best for ABW. We know that things are the way they are for good reasons that we have learned from being on the board for a LONG time.

I hope you stick around. If you do, you will come to appreciate that this is one of the best run boards on the internet.

BTW, great job, Haiko!

And, another BTW. If you have an affiliate site or one that is going to be an affiliate site one of the stupidest things you can do is put it in your signiture. You outed your own site! Haiko protected you from your own dumbness! If you stick around and, somehow, make it in this business, someday, you will understand and thank him!
    Last edited by SSanf; June 4th, 2006 at 09:27 AM.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Talking
    SandraD - Let him post his site.

If he has any good ideas and ranks high in the search engines then we can all hack his site and steal all of his ideas.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

"who are really keen in contributing "

"Keen" and "In A Hurry" are two different things.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by NoWires
    "who are really keen in contributing "

"Keen" and "In A Hurry" are two different things.

True.

If it's any consolation I like it here, and its fine with the restrictions & all

ABW Ambassador
    Contributing and having privileges are also two different things. One leads to the other.

Having and using privileges is *taking* and like anything else worth having, is worth putting forth effort for.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    Contributing and having privileges are also two different things. One leads to the other.

Having and using privileges is *taking* and like anything else worth having, is worth putting forth effort for.
    Unless all you are trying to do is spam the forum - which is all it is in a lot of the cases of newbies to the forum.

WE DON'T LIKE OR ALLOW SPAM.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    SandraD - Let him post his site.

If he has any good ideas and ranks high in the search engines then we can all hack his site and steal all of his ideas.

maybe so..
    but if i would really want to go look for good ideas from signatures, etc..

Google can really help as I can find and rip off other ideas without going in great length of searching each thread...

Also, I would not be worried about posters as opposed to lurkers.
    I have been at Fatwallet.com for the past 4 -6 years and I have actively participated on there. There are always people lurking and jumping on good ideas, deals or something along that line. Lurkers are people who you would need to worry about when it comes to your "Stealing of ideas".

I am not flaming everybody but maybe Change is good. But I am just voicing my opinion.. not questioning or flaming anybody

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Thx Trust it's hard to keep track with them all LOL

http and a telephoto
    Rules and restrictions here evolved over time... due to necessity and past problems with folks that are in a hurry to spam and pm. You may not be waiting to do so, however, building your post count by complaining about board restrictions most likely won't get you what you want

And as noted, all AM's have email addresses in *their* sig files, or links to be able to contact them, so using PM is just a way to contact them annonymously I suppose. They would rather hear from a real person at a real email address if you are really interested in talking about their program....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

you people are so brainwashed! This is not how a forum is supposed to be run. There are much easier, less supressive ways to combat spam, pm abuse, etc.

This isn't a forum, this is a cult lead by a coward who enjoys the power trip he gets by having all his sycophants clamoring around him. I hope most of you will be smart enough to run the other way when he starts screaming "White Night, Children... time to drink the kool-aid."

Keep arguing with everyone in this thread and you will have the posts you need in no time.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidK1
    you people are so brainwashed! This is not how a forum is supposed to be run. There are much easier, less supressive ways to combat spam, pm abuse, etc.

This isn't a forum, this is a cult lead by a coward who enjoys the power trip he gets by having all his sycophants clamoring around him. I hope most of you will be smart enough to run the other way when he starts screaming "White Night, Children... time to drink the kool-aid."
    If you don't like the community don't participate. Bashing the community isn't going to make you any friends or get you support.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

LOL! thats a good one Loxly. Considering how I've been treated thus far... would you say I have even been allowed to?

ABW Ambassador
    Banned = Never Lift

If you don't like some people here, don't read their stuff.
    And life has rules. If you don't play by the societies rules, I think it's more your problem than anyone elses.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast