MSN and PPC Direct linking
    Hi

As most of you are aware, if you are doing PPC advertising with MSN, their spider will crawl each of your keywords to index them and will cause a click everytime they do. In other words, if you have 4000 keywords in a specific campaign, you could potentially receive thousands of clicks in a very short amount of time IE... <an hour>. Now granted, you will not be charged for these clicks and they will not be in any of the reports in your account with MSN. But they will appear in your logs, and if you are using an affiliate network and direct linking to a merchant's page.... LOOK OUT!! Not only will those clicks register at the network, but the stats for that merchant will be effected as well. MSN sent me a list of IP addresses to block to prevent this problem. That will work on my site for those keywords that I direct to my site, but if you are direct linking, then what? I understand using a landing page on my site is the more credible way to use PPC. I do that as well. However, has anyone experienced the excessive click dilema as I have? Has anyone contacted their networks to see if they will put blocks on all the IP's that MSN uses?

Thanks in advance..

and please do not lecture me about direct linking to merchant pages.
    Thanks
    The best things in life are not things at all...

ABW Ambassador
    As far as:
    "and please do not lecture me about direct linking to merchant pages."

Don't worry about it. That's up to the merchants if they allow it, if they do it doesn't matter what other affiliates think. So I'm not sure about the direct to merchant deal since I bring them to my site first and haven't seen anything you're talking about. Not sure how all that works.

I really don't think any of the networks filter out any clicks, but I could be wrong.

One workaround, if you're linking through your own site and redirecting to the merchant: Check the IP Address (or user agent). If it's a known bot, redirect directly to the merchant landing page. If it's not a bot, redirect through your affiliate link. You'll have to keep track of two redirect pages instead of one, but it might be worth the extra effort.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thanks for the feedback..
    I actually deleted the direct linking campaigns to stop it. MSN was even crawling my keywords when I had the campaigns paused. Typically however, they only crawl the keywords after you make some kind of a change once they are crawled the first time. MSN is very aware of the issue but Billy G is not going to change it for us direct linkers.

FYI... The type of redirect I was using was through the network and then to a specific page on the merchants site. My EPC dropped dramatically in a very short time. I am sure if I let it continue, I would be called on the carpet. Such a shame the networks won't block them somehow. There is a particular network out there that would rather hang you than help you sometimes. Guilty until proven innocent... So frankly, I will not even ask them for help.

??.... I never noticed if impressions were effected in the same manor as the keywords. If they are, then there will be unjustified increases in impressions even for those who have landing pages on their own sites.. Maybe I am wrong... I was once.
    The best things in life are not things at all...

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread