Tying directly into a merchant's shopping cart
    I'm curious, do many of you work with merchants where you actually tie directly into their shopping cart. That is, you display all product information, as welll as a "add to cart" feature, and send that product info and visitor directly into the merchant's cart.

I'm thinking about doing this with one merchant, and am talking to them now. One of the main reasons I want to do this is to create some type of value in return visitors/customers.

Is this something that is done often? If not, are their any negatives to something like this?
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

Lightbulb
    I've done this in a situation where I was made responsible for promoting a merchant's site (janitorial lines) and everything that hit the shopping cart on it made me a commission.

It requires real trust at the beginning but gets obvious when the sales start. the mileage varies with the depth of reporting. If you can't plot visitor traffic or items sold you are just guessing.

I have a merchant whose datafeed links put the products straight into the merchant's shopping cart. It skips the product detail page completely, but I prefer that it didn't. I want the customer to see the product page in case there are reviews, additional photos or extra details.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Ok, so it is something that is done. The only reason that I want to do it with this merchant is b/c their entire sales process is relatively straight forward and easy to navigate. I figured I can keep the user on my site to see the product information (everything that the merchant would display), and provide them with the "add to cart" ability. At this point, the info is passed to their shopping cart, and the rest is up to the merchant to process.

And if things work ok, then maybe the visitor will see my site as a place to visit more than once, whenever they need to purchase again, rather than a one-time landing page. This would be something that I can continue to build in a useful and profitable way.

Thanks for the input.
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread