2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Noticed at Pud's F**kedcompany.com that all the tech staff was let go today at 800.com with rumors they will close shop on the 22nd. Wouldn't you know I just put up new creatives and product links since I met the minimums a few times. There goes another electronics merchant at BeFree joining most of their gift merchants. Already dead in Y2002 are FingerHut -The Outpost -Service Merchandise -Martha Stewart -Bluelight -PcConnections with a few more to follow. Looks like Y2001 1st quarter results as these Pure Play advertisers exit the pay per performance scene since they didn't convert their regular visitors just like they did the pre-sold ones. Hope Gator.com and ShopNow toke it in the ear over this one.

[ 02-15-2002: Message edited by: EcomCity.com ]

ABW Ambassador
    That is amazing. Using your criteria (when they stop tracking sales, that indicates they are going under), I had begun suspecting this.

800.COM used to be a good performer for me, but the last few months have been horrible. (It is rare that a merchants tracked sales actually go down in December!).

I ended up taking down dozens of their links today since so few things are left in stock.

ABW Ambassador
    phew. Glad to find this out today, I was just about to start heavily promoting them again.

Thanks for the heads up. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Hold on for a short while on this one folks. I personally called 800.com, and granted, did not talk to an executive. But, I did indeed talk to someone who called himself a "Product Manager".

This person stated loud and clear that although he himself had seen the rumor at ****edCompany.com, the rumors were, "absolutely false".

I know this doesn't mean that they are indeed false, but if you had heard the tone of his voice, you might take pause.

Just FYI...

Obstinatedon

I heard they are out of cash and looking for a buyer. I can’t imagine they plan to stay in business with no inventory.

ABW Ambassador
    Whether or not they are going under, you might want to reconsider promoting them for electronics.

I just did a quick check. They only have three models of digital cameras in stock, 1 digital camcorder, 2 unpopular MP3 players, 1 DVD player.

The chances of anyone finding what they are looking for there are slim (unless they do a going out of business clearance sale).

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    When you lay off your entire web development group that maintains your e-catalog whose left to update the site? The few Ececs remaining!! You have to remember folks this is BeFree so no formal announcement will come from them til this one is tits up. As a matter of fact I can no longer find their dead pool list of merchants on the Reporting net site.

ABW Ambassador
    This could be a good test of the Acclaim program. Will we get paid? Or will they just disappear off our reporting.net accounts?

FWIW, I did receive a check on 2/11. If they do go, too bad. In the past I've received checks in the four figure range.

[ 02-16-2002: Message edited by: go60guy ]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>FWIW, I did receive a check on 2/11. If they do go, too bad. In the past I've received checks in the four figure range.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me too! 800.COM has always paid on time, tracked accurately, and they were easy to market with the frequent special deals and notable customer service. Not to mention the new customer bonuses.

The electronics segment of affilaite marketing is going from bad to worse what with the downturn in the economy and former stellar performers going down.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread