View Poll Results: When I do not reply to an e-mail offer, it means that I am/have...

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • not interested

20 45.45%
  • forgotten about it (remind in 3-5 days)

6 13.64%
  • forgotten about it (remind in 7-10 days)

3 6.82%
  • forgotten about it (do not remind)

0 0%
  • thinking I'll get to it when I get to it

15 34.09%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    When you do not reply...
    In an effort of trying to understand the general psychology behind unanswered e-mails, I am wondering... When you do not reply to an e-mail containing an offer/proposal (of link exchange, banner exchange, or any other kind of of parnership), what does it normally mean?

Please vote...

If you do not find an option that normally describes your thinking pattern behind an unanswered e-mail, please elaborate by posting.

Many thanks in advance for your feedback.

Geno

It varies. Usually, it's "not interested". Sometimes, it's "I just haven't had time". Sometimes it's "I'm too busy."
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    It varies. Usually, it's "not interested". Sometimes, it's "I just haven't had time". Sometimes it's "I'm too busy."

This is the most accurate answer.

The Hurricanes are in the Stanley Cup playoffs
    Last edited by Witzer; June 5th, 2006 at 11:13 AM.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    forgotten about it (remind in 3-5 days)

It happens all the time specially with so much spam. Never blow off someone just becasue they do not reply right away. It could be in your/their best interest to remind again.

Same as jorge.

And as far as offers go, some come to generic addresses on domains that the mail only gets checked on once or twice a year, if at all.

Do not forget to vote. Poll is the MAIN tool here. Comments are very welcomed, but please do not forget to vote!

Thanks,

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    In an effort of trying to understand the general psychology behind unanswered e-mails, I am wondering... When you do not reply to an e-mail containing an offer/proposal (of link exchange, banner exchange, or any other kind of of parnership), what does it normally mean?
    I can think of a different reaction from any of the choices listed.
    I don't always open the e-mail. The trick is to get people to open the e-mail.
    To respond or to delete and ignore comes after the initial opening.

Geno, I read your e-mail, but lots of affiliate e-mail will go unopened.

Why? I get lots of one day sales notices from Macy's and other AMs.
    I like to feature actual products on my site and although I will use coupons (sometimes) I don't consider my site a coupon site (that is true for all my sites). There are too many short-term deals (this Friday only, this weekend only) or the deals seem to be unrealistic (to the recipient) just from the e-mail's subject header.
    At times (but not always) the affiliate e-mail can look like "noise" in one's e-mail box.

In terms of link exchanges, I've been proposed to by link farms or the webmaster sent me a formula e-mail without any type of a personal touch.
    In those types of cases, I delete the e-mail without a response.

Write a subject header that will make the recipient open the e-mail.
    I understand that it's not always easy for an AM to have a personal touch on a mass e-mail campaign, but give it a try
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Great question. But how about a choice for swimming - make that - drowning in email. So: a) I need a reminder (after a full business week) and if a 2nd reminder's been sent, just means the offer doesn't work with our site's plans/subscribers.

If you really want to get through call me, but ask me when the best time to chat is. It's a little hard to talk when the kids are coming home from school and the dogs are barking in the background.
    Liz Welsh Tompkins
    Styleforfree.com
    email: [email="lwtompkins@styleforfree.com"]lwtompkins@styleforfree.com[/email]
    [url="http://twitter.com/styleforfreecom"]Twitter[/url] | [url="http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=625631089&ref=name"]Facebook[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    I understand that it's not always easy for an AM to have a personal touch on a mass e-mail campaign, but give it a try
    Oh, it is doable! Easily doable in the case of AM-affiliate e-mail correspondence.

My question is somewhat different though. I am trying to figure out this issue outside of the AM-affiliate relationship...

Geno

Oh, it is doable! Easily doable in the case of AM-affiliate e-mail correspondence.

My question is somewhat different though. I am trying to figure out this issue outside of the AM-affiliate relationship...

Geno
    Outside?

People have e-mailed me in terms of swapping links/banners but the only ones I would give though to are the ones who have looked at my site and who have a quality site.

Too often I get a form e-mail and then when I look at the sender's site, it's a link farm or something I wouldn't want to associate myself with.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I get hundreds of emails on the non-comment-spam days (when it approached thousands instead). I try to immediately delete the crap and immediately open the stuff from people I know, even if it's an AM.

Most of the time I tell myself I'll come back and grab the link or write a reply or change a page because of something I received. Then it gets buried and I forget. A reminder without guilt will probably cause me to stop and take care of it if I'm interested.

Do not forget to vote. Poll is the MAIN tool here. Comments are very welcomed, but please do not forget to vote!

Thanks,

Geno
    While under the presure of to vote or not to vote, even when you would like to vote to be counted and try to make a difference, sometimes you just can't cast a fair vote, if the choices on that ballot don't allow any room for an explanation of why you voted that way.

Example:

When I do not reply to an e-mail offer, it means that I am/have...
    [X] not interested
    [X] forgotten about it (remind in 3-5 days)
    [X] forgotten about it (remind in 7-10 days)
    [X] forgotten about it (do not remind)
    [X] thinking I'll get to it when I get to it
    Since that ballot don't have the option to vote for:

[X] All of the above.
    Or:
    [X] Other* ...... explain below.

I just voted on this poll for:
    [X] not interested.
    Because this option: [X] Other* ...... explain below. was not available.

Other*

When I do not reply to an e-mail offer, it means that:

I just received an generic e-mail offer that was sent to everyone else on the merchant e-mail list.

I just received an generic e-mail offer that can be just spam from the merchant.

I just received an generic e-mail offer intended just to grab any of my others e-mail names, if I just reply to that generic e-mail offer.

I just received an generic e-mail offer to tell me (and everyone on that list) that there is a sale, promotion, coupon, or any other marketing action that would be available for the next 24 to 48 hrs only.

There are 100's of generic e-mail offers arriving on our inbox daily from many places, and while we may, or may not read any or all of those generic e-mail offers, one thing is for sure, the even most of the generic e-mail offer that we get daily may get a better chance of being read and perhaps even reply to, when those generic e-mail offer that we get daily at least have our name included on the email, instead of just: Dear affiliates, To all affiliates, etc..., etc...

Almost any generic e-mail offer, or just general generic e-mail that we get from our merchants, stand a better chance of surviving our spam filters and other junk protection methods that we may have in place, if any of those e-mails, generic or not, at least have our name on it.

Sal.

Also, I forgot to include this:

Other*

1 - I will probably see the same offer posted here on ABW.

Or....

2 - I will probably see the same offer on the merchant get links page.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    Also, I forgot to include this:

Other*

1 - I will probably see the same offer posted here on ABW.

Or....

2 - I will probably see the same offer on the merchant get links page.

Hmmmmm... What makes you think that this is about merchant offer(s) to an affiliate? Especially after this post.

I'd vote but haven't got voting privileges as yet.

I rarely reply to those sort of emails ... and if I do it's generally because they read as personal email and not generic things.

At the moment I can't reply to anything anyway ... my main email server has been down since late last week and I'm suffering withdrawal symptoms as I wait for it to recover.

Sue.

I voted Not Interested because 9 times out of 10 that is the case. But, I understand marketing and do not get annoyed at a second contact. If you start to badger me then I get annoyed.

When someone commented about opening the e-mail because it was from you, then that is someone who you already have established a relationship with. If I have an established relationship, then you can just assume that I am busy and will get back to you.

Or at least if it is an e-mail that requires and action or response. So many e-mails from AM's are just about this offer or that offer that I may have no need for or interest in, so then, even though I have an established relationship I do not respond.

If you are talking directly to me, then you will get a response.

Does that help, or just confuse the issue more?

Sheri

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    For me it usually means that the offer wasn't compelling enough to stop what I was doing to reply and follow through.

There's another reason that I might not reply and it's a very common problem. Verbosity on the part of the sender. Make your point, get to it quick, bulletize the high points, keep the sales noise to a minimum. Treat me like a partner with a busy schedule and not a potential sales victim. (I'm not saying you do that Geno but lots of AMs do.)

Do not forget to vote. Poll is the MAIN tool here.
    I can't vote as most times I'm not interested - those CJ programmes that have no overlap with what I do for e.g. But sometimes it's because I forget or that I deliberately leave it a while to look again in a week or so and see how interested I am then - I do this if it's a direction I haven't thought of, but might consider going in.

I have to agree with mostly that they never get opened in the first place.

From merchants, as stated, it is usually about some deal or other. If you don't run specials, deals and coupons and you have been "trained", that is what to expect from merchant e-mails, as we have been, most likely you have stopped opening e-mail from merchants.

As for non-merchant stuff, if I don't know for certain who it is from or don't expect the e-mail, I just don't open it. Too many spoofers and other malevolents trying to download stuff on my computer. You can't trust that an e-mail is from whomever it says it is from these days. Why risk opening it?

And, as far as link exchanges go, do you think that I will really click on an e-mail link sent from a stranger to some site that I don't know, not knowing what is really at the end of that link? No, thank you. I practice safe surfing! At least, I do try to.

Even when friends send links in e-mails, I don't usually click those links. I don't know what the heck they may have gotten on their computers.

I will click on links found on bulletin boards after a few people respond to the comment on the assumption that if there is something bad at the end of the link, it will be reported by others pretty darned fast, hopefully, before the time I have gotten around to checking it out.

Viral marketing isn't what it once was and neither is e-mail marketing. Too many people have been burned by being trusting. Links in e-mails is one of the things I trust least in the world since a lot of people actually get paid to trick you into downloading crap onto your computer, anyway they can, including pretending to be or manipulating the computers of people you know. Don't anyone expect me to respond to link exchange requests. I'm not clicking on your link, delete, delete, delete.
    Last edited by SSanf; June 5th, 2006 at 05:49 PM.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I don't respond when it takes too much time to figure out what the point of the email is all about or if I have to fill in the blank spots or if I have to log in somewhere.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

I agree with most everyone on this. If someone was really interested they would reply straight away, if just interested then maybe later..beyond a couple of reminders it becomes annoying unless it undeniable in it's importance.

Call out Gouranga be happy
    Gouranga Gouranga Gouranga
    That which brings the highest happiness!

OOOPS just realized was an old POST, LOL GethsemeneRose's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    I will click on links found on bulletin boards after a few people respond to the comment on the assumption that if there is something bad at the end of the link, it will be reported by others pretty darned fast, hopefully, before the time I have gotten around to checking it out.

Viral marketing isn't what it once was and neither is e-mail marketing. Too many people have been burned by being trusting. Links in e-mails is one of the things I trust least in the world since a lot of people actually get paid to trick you into downloading crap onto your computer, anyway they can, including pretending to be or manipulating the computers of people you know. Don't anyone expect me to respond to link exchange requests. I'm not clicking on your link, delete, delete, delete.
    Just thinking out loud here... not sure if it would work but if the email said something like "I understand most people are concerned about clicking on a link so why not surf over to google/yahoo/ask and do a keyword search for "xyz company" then follow the link if it is the same as this link" ... would that convince you? I am not sure it would convince me (I have never seen it done but I agree I rarely click on links unless I am VERY sure of the source) but I do routinely google a site if it is sent to me and if it is something that MIGHT be interesting and check out the google results. So would such a reminder help you to do the same thing?
    :gnome: [URL]www.gethsemenerose.com[/URL] :gnome: As for me and my SITE we shall serve the LORD!

Depending on the sender, the subject, and whether or not the message gets flagged as spam, an email will get anywhere from less than a second of my attention to five seconds or more. During this time, I will determine whether I will flag it as spam, delete it, mark it as read and keep it, read further, respond to it, save it for later, or take some other action.

The ones that get the most immediate action usually share many of these attributes:

1) They are from people who I know, and who have a history of sending messages that deserve immediate action.
    2) They have a clear and concise title and message that's well organized. I don't have to scroll down to know if there's stuff in the email that I want/need to see.
    3) They have everything in it that I need. If it's a coupon or promotion to list, it has full details: a pre-coded link, expiration date (and time), and all other relevant details. They also typically need to be something I can act on immediately.
    4) They often have a specific incentive to act now: some sort of bonus or incentive, and/or a good consumer promotion.
    5) They are from a merchant who has high earnings for me.
    6) They come at a time when I have time to do something with them.
    7) They will require minimal amounts of my time.

Probably 90% of (non-spam) emails I get either get deleted or marked as read and then archived, usually getting around 1-5 seconds of my attention. Depending on how busy I am, another 3-7% of emails get set aside for later action (which typically only happens if I have extra time within a week). The other 3-7% either get a response or immediate action on my part.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

OOOPS just realized was an old POST, LOL GethsemeneRose's Avatar
    I am unfortunatly still to "not busy" so almost all email (that isn't automatically deleted) gets read then it either gets catagorized for automatic future deletion or sent to about 100 different folders I have set up for a variety of catagories (it is an arcane system that I set up in my real estate days and it works well for me but most people look at it in fear of the unknown) the catagories basically correspond to how soon and what type of response they need.

Being new to Affiliate Marketing most of the emails I recieve from merchants appear to not need any actual response back (although a call to action is usually implied, said action is not usually a reply) So I have rarely responded to a merchant email (I am hoping one day to be succesful enough to warrent more personal emails but until then I understand the bulk emails and I expect the AM doesn't really expect or want a bunch of replies back from those type of mails) I have recieved a few requests to be included in my mall (So far only Cafe Press stores but that is were I am better known)

So anyway After filing the mail I then go through it a second time to determine the appropriate action and many times the action I choose to take is wait (and pray for the wisdom to do what is appropriate) to see if more information is forthcomming. I may be researching the site (see my previous post) and that may take some time also.
    :gnome: [URL]www.gethsemenerose.com[/URL] :gnome: As for me and my SITE we shall serve the LORD!

I'm pretty much in the "GethsemeneRose" category. Unfortunately I have a feeling I may never get to all of my email. lol
    Geno - I voted Tried to just choose the closest to what I felt.

As for affiliate managers. If you personally write to me you definitely will get a response (for the aff. mgr. unfortunaely most times it will be a long response due to my addiction to long emails lol, so you may think twice about personally writing to me lol ) Most times even if it's addressed to "username or affillate" if it's a reasonable request or something that seems to want a reply, you'll get one. Like Rhea, if it's some sort of promotion that's real short, I read it but won't reply.( Probably wouldn't want to know the response because unless for some reason I'm sitting around doing nothing, I'm not going to post something I'm going to have to turn right around and take off my site. If you give me reasonable notice a head of time, I'm happy to, though.) If you email asking for feedback about something, you'll definitely get a response.
    Link exchanges - feel really bad about this, but just don't have the time for some. If you send me a personal request you definitely get a reply and most likely will get a link. Sometimes it may take me a bit to get to it but you'll get one. Except...in the case if you send me a follow-up email every day afterwards threatening to remove my link if I don't answer you immediately. Go ahead and remove it. If you're that impatient don't put my link on your site til I answer your email. Threatening me is not going to make me do it quicker. I'm a real softie but won't give in to your impatient threats.
    If a request comes from a link place I read them but are put in to do later folder.
    After my long reply (warned you ahead of time) If you write to me personally about anything (except having a certain part of my anatomy which I don't have to begin with that you'd like to make larger) you'll get a personal reply....just might take a little big sometimes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast