Banner network of affiliates with split-testing that removes non-performers.
    I currently have a client that gets over 8 million pageviews a month. They are currently monitizing their traffic though Adsense which seems to be the bottom of the barrel.

I am looking for quality merchants that I can place on that site that will do better than the Adsense.

Also another thing I am working on is building up a banner network. I currently have a program called BannerApp in beta that you can add clients, banners, pages and placement jobs to. It provides reports for each banner that show impressions, click through, unique click through, conversions, and ROI.

The placement job page products a snipped of code that is placed on the sites where I have renting space that will rotate the banners, track impressions and track click through. Also it products a snipped of code for the thank you page that will allows for the tracking of conversions.

You also can change the banner gifs, number of banners, and landing pages on the fly.

So I fill it up a placement job with all the affiliate merchants I have signed up for and then cut out the ones that are not converting.

I am looking into code that will cut out the non-preformers for that placement job with some AB split-test type : )

So for example I have one site that I have banners on 70k pages. Currently I am only running five rotating banners. The plan is it run 100 to 200 merchant affiliate banners on that pagement job and then remove the ones that are not converting.

I started up the BannerApp program just to do my own products but now that I am thinking affilates who knows where it will go : )

Anyone with pointers chime in.

Can you condense what it is exactly that you want?

Feed back on the different points I made : )

I currently have a client that gets over 8 million pageviews a month. They are currently monitizing their traffic though Adsense which seems to be the bottom of the barrel.

I am looking for quality merchants that I can place on that site that will do better than the Adsense...
    I think ABWers can give you some good advice here, but they'll need to know the subject matter/topic of the site, otherwise it'll just be a guess.
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

Many high-traffic sites have very low-value, non-targeted traffic. It can be quite difficult to monetize effectively. AdSense usually does a decent job at monetizing low quality traffic with virtually no effort. To do better, it's probably going to take quite a bit of work and understanding of your site visitors.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

MichaelColey:

>>>Many high-traffic sites have very low-value, non-targeted traffic. It can be quite difficult to monetize effectively.

Well we are not talking a picture share site but I know what you mean.

>>>AdSense usually does a decent job at monetizing low quality traffic with virtually no effort.

Yes but it also for the most part pays bottom of the barrel for the traffic.

>>>To do better, it's probably going to take quite a bit of work and understanding of your site visitors.

Well I am working on a BannerApp system that will split-test which banners are getting the click throughs and eliminate the ones that aren't. That way I can just load up each site with affiliate banners and affiliate pages and then let the software pick display the which banners and pages that are getting the most click though.

That's the plan anyway.

MoneyBusiness:

>>>I think ABWers can give you some good advice here, but they'll need to know the subject matter/topic of the site, otherwise it'll just be a guess.

I am sure I will be able to pick up some one to coach me on that. I am just working on getting the lay of the land at this point.

I have little to no experience being a merchant affiliate or being an affiliate partner other than running a couple of affiliate banners on my site whose products I used and were relevant to my site.

As a side note, have you considered running some of the banner networks that implement CPM strategies (Fastclick, Casale, etc)? My understanding is that you can make some good money with high traffic sites, like the one you're talking about, since they pay per 1000 impressions.

Keep in mind that I'm just throwing this out there, as I've never worked with any CPM offers before (never had super high traffic numbers before), just heard what others are doing. If the average cost for CPM is $1.00 per 1000 impressions, and you're getting 8mil page views monthly, well, you get the picture.

If you're not getting CPC to work well, you may want to consider the above.

Good luck!
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

>>>As a side note, have you considered running some of the banner networks that implement CPM strategies (Fastclick, Casale, etc)? My understanding is that you can make some good money with high traffic sites, like the one you're talking about, since they pay per 1000 impressions.

They are running Adsense PPC, Amazon, and one of the CMP networks and making chicken feed. Well I consider $4k/mon for that kind of traffic chicken feed : )

I am thinking that I have to be able to do better with affiliates. Run banners for 100 or so affilates and have a split-tester eliminate the ones that don't preform on that site.

Bobmutch,

What is a split-tester?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

>>>I am thinking that I have to be able to do better with affiliates. Run banners for 100 or so affilates and have a split-tester eliminate the ones that don't preform on that site.<<<

ah, you mean "merchants."

$0.50 CPM is really not too bad for a high traffic site, depending on the quality of the traffic. You're right, though. You can probably do better.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Banner network of affiliates
    Not sure about the terminology being used. Affiliates are people who are affiliate marketers, is that who you intend to run banners for?

The placement job page products a snipped of code that is placed on the sites where I have renting space that will rotate the banners, track impressions and track click through. Also it products a snipped of code for the thank you page that will allows for the tracking of conversions.
    Are those sites that belong to you, or sites where you're renting link space from other webmasters, something like running text link ads?
    Last edited by webworker; June 5th, 2006 at 03:29 PM.

Herb ԿԬ :

>>>ah, you mean "merchants."

Yes sorry!

Rita7:

>>What is a split-tester?

Front page on http://www.vertster.com/ explains it.

Michael Coley:

>>>$0.50 CPM is really not too bad for a high traffic site, depending on the quality of the traffic. You're right, though. You can probably do better.

I am pretty sure I can.

webworker:

>>>Not sure about the terminology being used. Affiliates are people who are affiliate marketers, is that who you intend to run banners for?

That should read "Banner network of merchants."

Sorry I am an affiliate newbie : )

>>>Are those sites that belong to you, or sites where you're renting link space from other webmasters, something like running text link ads?

On the banner network I am renting banner space sitewide on websites and then I plan on running about 100 merchants banner and they will rotate.

I am going to build split-testing into the backend admin that will remove mechant banners that don't preform.

The software that I have build allows me to change the number of banners and the banner themselves that are displaying on any one website on the fly.

Thanks for the link, bobmutch
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Rhia7:

>>>Thanks for the link, bobmutch

Hey not problem, any time.

Remember that Google is your friend : )

Hi bobmutch,
    Before you look at sending the traffic off elsewhere and hoping for the click or sale, have you considered selling something on the site itself? If not I would recommend you go down that road first, and use a tool that does multi-variate testing instead of split testing.

Cheers from BC,
    Peter
    Last edited by asr_guy; June 7th, 2006 at 09:22 PM. Reason: off typo
    [URL=http://www.typoassassin.com/?utm_source=abestweb&utm_medium=forum&utm_content=p&utm_campaign=sig]Are these affiliates stealing from you?[/URL]

bob / amishwananbe member (much love)

Talk to genericgifts (see forum [in SaS] here) ... he's the genius on split testing ... do yours (as a merchant on tribalfusion.com).

Feel free to email me directly.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Bobmutch,

I am working with a dozen programs and would be more than happy to provide you banners for "run of the site". It would help to know what the focus of the site is as I can send you anything from bartools to video ipod software.

asrguy:

>>>Before you look at sending the traffic off elsewhere and hoping for the click or sale, have you considered selling something on the site itself?

I would prefer minimize the work to monetize the traffic by sending to it merchant affiliates.

>>>If not I would recommend you go down that road first, and use a tool that does multi-variate testing instead of split testing.

I guess went I say split-testing I mean multi-variate testing.

Haiko de Poel, Jr.:

>>>amishwananbe member

I am not a Amish wananbe : )

>>>Talk to genericgifts (see forum [in SaS] here) ... he's the genius on split testing ... do yours (as a merchant on tribalfusion.com).

Thanks for the good tip! I will drop him a line and compare notes.

Chuck Hamrick:

>>>I am working with a dozen programs and would be more than happy to provide you banners for "run of the site".

Thanks for the offer. I will keep that in mind.

Can you plug rss into your banner space?

If you can you might want to try merchants that have a coupon rss feed. Then you'd have text links. I bet those would have a better click through than a banner would as long as you can match your audiences interest.

It would be like adsense but with a better payout if a sale occurs.
    Avantlink offers these types of feeds BTW.

Just a thought...
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

ABW Ambassador
    Do all merchants allow affiliates to run ads on sites other than the ones they own?

suzigeek:

>>>Can you plug rss into your banner space?

I can add as many banners as I want to my banner job but no I can't plug in an rss banner feed.

I like the idea of a rss content feed that would change the affilates code of the merchant links. That is a good idea.

This way you can have numerous pages of RSS feeds with a conversation page xlm2html and then the affilate just puts his code in the conversation page.

<? $affilate = bobmutch; ?>

Hrmmm, I will have to think on that one for a while.

I just recieved an email from goldencan and they are looking for beta testers for their new rss ,xml and preformatted html service. It looks very promising since they have ALOT of merchants also. You can use any language to pull from them i.e. asp php etc...
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

suzigeek:

>>>I just recieved an email from goldencan and they are looking for beta testers for their new rss ,xml and preformatted html service.

You have an information URL for that?

Exclamation
    Quote Originally Posted by bobmutch
    suzigeek:

>>>I just recieved an email from goldencan and they are looking for beta testers for their new rss ,xml and preformatted html service.

You have an information URL for that?
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=74539

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread