Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Exclamation Higher commission or sign up bonus?
    Greetings,

I am looking into boosting an affiliate program.
    What sound more interesting?
    A signup bonus or a higher commission for the first month the person joins?

What would make you mobilize?

Thanks

anybody..

Outsourced Program Manager
    Hey Eric,

Welcome to the boards.

I'm in the Orlando area myself, and we sometimes meet up for affiliate lunches, I'll let you know the next time we do. I'm very familiar with Vacation Ownership, since I've worked at Westgate and Tempus.

To answer your question, why not offer them a choice?

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FairFieldGetaway-EricEwe
    anybody..
    Eric,

Welcome to ABW....

There are a ton of ways to encourage "affiliate mobilization".... a sign up bonus always helps but is no guarantee of mobilization after they sign up...

The secrets to affiliate activation and program adoption as we call it are many and all work together to achieve the required results. Not one thing alone will make your program a success, there are several things that need to occur and with time, you will achive the reasults you are looking for ....

Hope that helps, weclome to our forum and feel free to contact us for anything you may need....

** edited to add - take up Michael's lunch offer, he is the Affiliate Guru in the Orlando area...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

What sound more interesting?
    A signup bonus or a higher commission for the first month the person joins?
    Eric, welcome aboard!

You'll loose a lot of money if you offer sign-up bonuses. I mean, a LOT! Reason? See what Andy said. A sign-up itself is never a guarantee of anything. Read/ask around and see how many "signups" turn into "producers".

Higher commission for just the first month - could work. But, in all honesty, no one likes to have that commission cut down in the second month... If you could make it performance-tied (e.g.: send $XXX.XX in sales - get 10%, send $XXXX.XX in sales and I'll give you 20%), that would probably work better.

Andy has a seminar coming up in Chicago (see his sig). Among other valuable things, he talks about affiliate motivation at his seminars too...

Geno

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    Andy has a seminar coming up in Chicago (see his sig). Among other valuable things, he talks about affiliate motivation at his seminars too...
    Agreed! Get Fairfield to send you.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Nunez
    Hey Eric,

Welcome to the boards.

I'm in the Orlando area myself, and we sometimes meet up for affiliate lunches, I'll let you know the next time we do. I'm very familiar with Vacation Ownership, since I've worked at Westgate and Tempus.

To answer your question, why not offer them a choice?
    Michael, I might have to take you up on that offer. I would love to meet with some other people in this area.
    let me know about a date/time and I will check my schedule.

Our program is offering a very high commission for leads in comparison to people in our industry and I was considering tiering the commission system. But after reading on ABW, i decided to keep it as it is in the mean time.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    Eric, welcome aboard!

You'll loose a lot of money if you offer sign-up bonuses. I mean, a LOT! Reason? See what Andy said. A sign-up itself is never a guarantee of anything. Read/ask around and see how many "signups" turn into "producers".

Higher commission for just the first month - could work. But, in all honesty, no one likes to have that commission cut down in the second month... If you could make it performance-tied (e.g.: send $XXX.XX in sales - get 10%, send $XXXX.XX in sales and I'll give you 20%), that would probably work better.

Geno
    Thanks Geno.

I think you have a valid point there.
    Ultimately, I my goal is to grow sales but in order to do that, i need to have people getting excited about the program and jumping on and start promoting the program.

Would a $x amount get somebody to join and put up some links..

As for the performance tied system, I just kicked start that on Sunday.

Agreed! Get Fairfield to send you.
    Might be a bit tough cos I am going to LS event in NYC and it takes a lot of planning before we are able to go. I will go in his next one in Miami.

...i need to have people getting excited about the program and jumping on and start promoting the program.

Would a $x amount get somebody to join and put up some links..

Your original post talked only about joining, not about jumping at in and promoting it.

Geno

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Hello Eric,

Welcome to ABW

> What would make you mobilize?

So far they are right and not one thing alone will work and sometimes no matter how much $$$ you offer before or during will get those sales in right away. Easier way, Repetition, Repetition Repettion!

Agree too visit Affiliate Manager Certification Seminar - Chicago - August 20- 22, 2006 - $1,099 -Reserve your seat today! very informative!

Hey Eric,

We should point out that none of us make any money promoting Andy's seminar. It's just that good. All 3 of us who have recommended it (Geno, Jorge, and myself), have attended at least once, so we know first hand what gets taught.

Thanks Geno & Michael. You are a great help. I will think of something and have it up after lunch.

I know about Andy and the fact that you do not make $$ from Andy.

Thanks Geno & Michael. You are a great help. I will think of something and have it up after lunch.

I know about Andy and the fact that you do not make $$ from Andy.
    Why don't you set up a "bonus" based on VPG for the leads generated by an affiliate?

Michael,

VPG??
    Almost done in drafting the promo. Will be posting in Program Announcement shortly.

Hey Eric,

We should point out that none of us make any money promoting Andy's seminar. It's just that good. All 3 of us who have recommended it (Geno, Jorge, and myself), have attended at least once, so we know first hand what gets taught.
    Andy doesn't even make money with Andy's seminar...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    > We should point out that none of us make any money promoting Andy's seminar. Thanks Michael for pointing that out just incase!

Correct, we do not make any money promoting Andy's seminar

Andy is a friend that's what friends do for no charge, but also he's been around and knows AM, willing to share with affiliates, merchants and aliens. LOL

He just wants everyone to be ethical, make $ and to learn the basics so we all win in the end. I believe in that concept too so promoting it is natural.

I would highly recommend Andy's seminar, too (and I don't make anything off of it either). Andy being a friend wouldn't be enough for me to recommend it. I recommend it because I feel that the things Andy shares in his seminar are things every merchant should know and there's no better or more affordable way to learn them.

UPDATE: I take that back. I should say that I don't make anything directly by promoting Andy's seminars. Indirectly, we all make money from Andy's seminars. The more educated merchants are on the essential issues of this industry, the better both merchants and affiliates will do.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

HI Micheal,

Andy's meet will have to wait.
    I will definately want to meet you guys for the Affiliate summit in orlando.

Andy, when is your next event in FL?

Andy, when is your next event in FL?
    Hi Eric,

We are looking for a end of Q1 seminar in Miami, March maybe even April. We decided to run this one in Chicago due to hurricanes and because we work very close with Brian, so having it in his home town was a natural. Our merchants will get to meet and visit with his staff for that extra taste of personal service.

We do have planned some very exciting stuff for Chicago, i would strongly encourage you to attend if all possible .... many new guests speakers you won't want to miss...

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread