"When my guys seen me getting mail, they went sad on me. I could tell they were hurt and it hurt me. I share my stuff with them. But they would like one of their own. [It's] mainly the single guys who don't have no one." more...

You guys could be the most effective people in the entire world to let our soldiers know they are appreciated. They are willing to DIE (horribly) to ensure that you are free to keep on doing what you love doing. Can you give them just an itty bitty spot on a back page somewhere?

ABW Ambassador
    This looks like a great project for me and all the kids to do this weekend. We can make several packages!!

Thanks for the post!! I am sure there are many many people who want and would do everything possible but haven't been given the information as to WHAT to do to help!

Ok I put up a page. No ads, no sales. Just support the troops with the address you suggested.

Thank you so much!!

It makes me cry to think not just of the discomfort and loss of opportunity that those young people, some not even shaving much yet, go through. But, for gosh sake, the danger. And, most of them haven't even lived long enough to know to be afraid.

Ever watched them march in a parade? They are hardly past childhood. But, on their dear young shoulders rests everything we hold dear.

May they be protected and blessed, each and every one.

Keep a light in the window to show them the way home.

I'm in, the page will go up this week-end! :cool:

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I have now put a page for this on my c*ntent site. But it would be nicer to have more addresses to send packages to than just that one guy in the article...

Thank you everyone!!

Yes, I wish there were more. Perhaps, when you mail your package, you can ask the person who receives it to write back with their address so they can sort of be adopted.

I believe this to be quite legitimate. WLEX is a major station here in Kentucky. I am certain they check their information.

Also, go figure, how many tubes of toothpaste and plastic bags can one guy use?

It's not like he is asking for money or anything.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[ 02-13-2002: Message edited by: SSanf ]

I hate to be a downer here, but the reason the "To any servicemember" program, where you write a letter and simply address it to any service member and it will be sent to some military member, was stopped was because of security concerns. The military didn't want to give terrorists the ability to simply write "any service member" on an envelope and mail it off knowing it would find it's way to it's intended target (any service member).

This is somewhat along the same lines, only now since there is an actual name attached to the address it won't be looked at so closely before being opened. This is potentially dangerous, honestly I'd bet that if this was released by Sgt Tackett and not his sister he would be reprimanded for releasing this address to the media, even local media. Because as we see here, it has a way of growing outside the local area.

For a bit of perspective, I am a member of the US Air Force. I know what it means to get mail when deployed to barely habitable locations, but I also understand the dangerous new world, where opening a letter or package from someone I don't know could mean the end of my life, as well as the lives of anyone sitting near me.

I know everyone means well, but this is a significant bit of information for those who seek to harm US military members. Please reconsider posting this address to a wider audience.

Brian

edit=grammar

[ 02-13-2002: Message edited by: madmanbc ]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Brian, those are valid points!

I've taken down the page--I certainly wouldn't want to increase the danger!

It's too bad that there apparantly isn't something that can be done from the civilian side--it seemed like a good idea at the time but now that you bring up those points I can see exactly what you mean!

[ 02-14-2002: Message edited by: Leader ]

I will write to the address and ask if these packages are screened in some way.

Meanwhile, I am certainly sending one myself and keeping the notice up.

Actually, for a faster response, I will call the TV station and talk to them. They can probably get a more official and faster response.

Thank you for your concern and insights.

[ 02-14-2002: Message edited by: SSanf ]

No problem I am a Viet Nam Vet.

OK, I called the news department and expressed our concerns.

They indicated that they "believe" that some inspection of the packages is going on. They said that there is going to be a follow up story and he is going to the sister's house tonight. He said he will get back in touch with me tomorrow with definitive information.

Ssanf I'd be certainly interested to hear how you went and will put up a page if it's safe.
    It's so sad to think these kids are out there witnessing things that will perhaps forever haunt them. It's always our youngest and brightest.

Do they really need toothpast...I thought the army would supply that?

SSANF!!

How about on the FRONT PAGE!!!

CATIIIMusicPublishing(BMI) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Kick *SS !!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    It's too bad that there apparantly isn't something that can be done from the civilian side<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know this is a bit old, but I've been trying to think of what can be done. The thing that seems most important to me is to remember how you feel now, a few years down the road when the need for the military seems to have declined. Don't forget about those that are still in uniform every day, when the rest of the nation or world has forgotten about them. If you have children or grandchildren don't automatically discourage them from military service when they are trying to decide what to do after high school or college.

For visible things, just put a link somewhere on your site to each military branch's page. I've done that on my site if you need the addresses. Obviously, it doesn't have to be on the front page if it won't fit there, but somewhere. One of the biggest problems facing the military today is, believe it or not, recruiting. This might be because as less and less people have family members that are in the military it's on people's minds less as a valid option for after high school. It doesn't have to become a career, it can be a simple four years (or less) and out, with an experience that will be remembered for a lifetime.

Ok, stepping off my soapbox now. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Brian

There was an ArmedForcesCareers or something like that through CJ but it kept being a deactivated merchant about every five minutes, so I took it off.

I know that soldiers need links to home to keep up their morale, even in an obviously just war such as this one.

I and all of us should keep this thread alive with any new info for this subject. Since we have a unique and powerful influence on people, not just on the internet.

Dangers, benefits, whatever info can be found.

GBOT

Sadly, discontinued is the name of the game:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>This is the official NEWS RELEASE from the
    United States Department of Defense.

No. 556-01
    (703)697-5131(media)
    IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    October 30, 2001
    (703)697-5737(public/industry)

DOD ANNOUNCES NEW WAYS TO EXPRESS SUPPORT

The Department of Defense today announced new ways for Americans to show support for their service members deployed overseas. The initiatives, made necessary by a moratorium on mail addressed to "Any Service member," provide alternatives to traditional letter-writing campaigns. DoD suggests that Americans support the troops by instead supporting the communities in which they live.

One way to show support is by doing a good deed on behalf of service members. Visit a VA hospital or nursing home, or volunteer in the local community to help make up for service members who normally would volunteer but are now deployed or otherwise too busy with their duties. Many service members volunteer to coach children's teams, feed the homeless, and aid their communities in a variety of other ways. Interested Americans can show their support and honor their military by
    volunteering in their local communities.

Although many towns do not have a military base nearby, military recruiters are stationed nearly everywhere. Local governments and chambers of commerce are encouraged to reach out to these local members of the military, invite them to speak at community events, and encourage members of the community to learn more about America's military.

Members of the community who know military families might want to offer their support by reaching out to those families while their loved ones are deployed.

A number of private organizations are developing Web-based methods for Americans to show support. While donations of food and gifts for delivery overseas can no longer be accepted, interested Americans might contribute instead to military relief societies. For more information see http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Sep2...200109173.html

All of these initiatives are in response to the suspension of the "Any Service member" mail program for operations in Bosnia and Kosovo. Military postal officials will not be implementing a similar program for Operation Enduring Freedom. Operation Dear Abby, a morale booster for service members overseas for more than 17 years, will also be suspended. DoD officials are working on alternatives to that program as well.

Service members value and appreciate expressions of support from the American people, and these and other mail programs are a significant boost to morale. However, recent mail-related attacks have resulted in additional precautions and the safety of service members is paramount. The increased manpower required to ensure safe mail handling coupled with the increased volume of mail that letter-writing campaigns generate could exceed capabilities, and therefore cannot be supported at this time.

Normal mail delivery addressed by name to individual service members will continue uninterrupted.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just using my favorite search engine for ideas. Anyone wanna take time to see if they're legit?

Support US troops with care packages

Well, they said they would get back to me and still haven't but the original article is still posted. So, I don't know what to think. I will try calling again.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread