Alrighty, it's time...
    Here's the deal: I'm getting to the point where my social security number is traveling all over the place now. I'm not a paranoid person, but the thought of signing up for various networks (especially the new ones) and dropping my SSN off at every corner really rubs me the wrong way.

Correct me if I'm wrong (as it's been a long time) but when I sign up for a sole-proprietorship, they will provide a Federal Tax Identification number aside from the SSN, correct? Or is the tax identification number the same as the SSN for this type of business structure?

Thanks!

EDIT: Ignore the dumb question. Took a second look and realized I already knew the answer to it. Fed. Tax ID number isn't the same as the SSN. Wouldn't make sense if it was...

Sorry!
    Last edited by MoneyBusiness; June 5th, 2006 at 03:21 PM.
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

Tax Paying Member
    I am incorporated, so I am doing a little guessing here. My accountant advises to rarely run a business as a sole proprietership and NEVER get involved in a partnership. When I incorporated, I was required to get a Fed Tax ID number. This is the company SS number, therefore I never give my SS number on any sign-up.

A SS number , as you know is used with a sole proprietership. I think that you can get a Fed Tax ID number as a sole proprietership. If you have employees, a fed number is required (I think). Your accountant can tell you this bit of information.

Why not do a simple corporation, ususally $500.00 or so, just for the protection.

Incorporation also means separation of the bookkeeping, more expense in the short run, but less headaches in the long run. To me this also gives you more decipherable information on where the business stands financially.

You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Quote Originally Posted by Witzer
    I am incorporated, so I am doing a little guessing here. My accountant advises to rarely run a business as a sole proprietership and NEVER get involved in a partnership. When I incorporated, I was required to get a Fed Tax ID number. This is the company SS number, therefore I never give my SS number on any sign-up.

A SS number , as you know is used with a sole proprietership. I think that you can get a Fed Tax ID number as a sole proprietership. If you have employees, a fed number is required (I think). Your accountant can tell you this bit of information.

Why not do a simple corporation, ususally $500.00 or so, just for the protection.

Incorporation also means separation of the bookkeeping, more expense in the short run, but less headaches in the long run. To me this also gives you more decipherable information on where the business stands financially.

Yeah, I've had a couple of people tell me that. I see why you would incorporate.

Well, I haven't filled out any paperwork yet, as I've been testing the waters for a little while (longer than I should be to tell you the truth). Guess it's about time I made a decision though.

Thanks!
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread