Merchants Beginning to Respond
    I am beginning to get emails from merchants trying to address affiliate concerns. Many are quoting CJs stuff about Linkshare "working towards the same initiative." Who is wrong about that information? The merchants or us?
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

LinkShare has publicly said that they are not planning on changing links to JavaScript. I don't know why CJ continues to spread that nonsense.

I'm starting to get some responses from merchants, too. Many get it. Some don't. (I don't hold that against the merchants--some just aren't technically oriented and don't frequent the boards.) Here's one of my recent replies, with some information that I'd rather not share publicly removed:

I wouldnít recommend drinking CJís kool-aid. They have no idea what theyíre talking about with this. I know you have some technical people on your staff. Run this by them and see what they have to say about it.

The FAQ brings up far more questions than it answers. Itís inaccurate in many areas, and vague in others. CJ is not answering questions. Iíve called and emailed about half a dozen people there (all the way up to --removed--) and have not received any answers to my numerous concerns. Iíve talked to dozens of other people (including other CJ Performers, merchants, high profile OPMs, and industry leaders) and nobody is getting concerned addressed.

Whether the links have to be changed out in June, July, or next year doesnít really matter. The fact that they have to be changed out at all is part of the issue. The fact that they have to be changed out to JavaScript links is the biggest problem. JavaScript has many different problems and wonít work with many affiliateís web sites. On my sites, around 15% to 20% of my visitors have JavaScript disabled. There are major performance issues where there are more than 4-5 external JavaScripts on a page, and many of my pages have 20-100 links or more. Those are just two of the issues, and there are many more. I will never replace normal links on my site with JavaScript, even if that means I have to drop every single CJ merchant.

LinkShare is not working on the same initiative. CJ keeps saying that, but LinkShare has publicly and privately denied it. Also, Iím on LinkShareís Affiliate Advisory Board, so I know what changes are coming. This is not something LinkShare is working on. Nobody in the affiliate marketing industry is moving this direction.

These changes will do absolutely nothing to help improve Google rankings. If anything, they will hurt because the text will no longer be indexed. Google will essentially just see a blank space everywhere a CJ link belongs.

If CJ continues with this initiative, I will be transitioning all of my CJ links to other networks and will drop all programs that arenít available on other networks or in-house. Iíve already stopped all new projects with CJ merchants and stopped adding new CJ merchants to my site, until itís clearer whether or not theyíre going to continue this initiative.

You might want to read the discussion at ABW and on Scott Jangroís blog, including the petition. Youíll see how large the issues are and how widely affiliates are rejecting this initiative.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    I am beginning to get emails from merchants trying to address affiliate concerns. Many are quoting CJs stuff about Linkshare "working towards the same initiative." Who is wrong about that information? The merchants or us?
    It was CJ that coined the "Linkshare is doing it, so we're going to do it too..". Even though LinkShare dropped the whole thing a while back.
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

ABW Ambassador
    To keep them from leaving. Some might consider LS but if CJ is saying they're going to do the same thing, they might stay. But the LS moderator said they're not moving to javascript only links. Couple that with them saying less than 1% have javascript disabled and it's all spin.

Growing:
    http://www.jangro.com/cj-petition.php

I find it interesting that I am getting emails from merchants, being sent to all their affiliates, with concerns about LMI and JavaScripts. Merchants are confused and concerned and they are wanting to know how we feel and what impact this will have on their affiliate sales down the way. One has already told me if CJ does not address this, they are leaving CJ.

I'm also getting private communication from merchants and affiliate managers with details of what they know and what they suspect is going on. Seems we are not the only ones with conspiracy theories, merchants think there is something else going on here than meets the eye, especially when CJ is mandating a complete change of links, not allowing previous, time tested, commission earning, links to remain in place. They are, and rightly so, concerned about their future affiliate sales.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

I had no idea that this petition (http://www.jangro.com/cj-petition.php) even existed.. why aren't there 1000s of signups ? I'm confused!

Quote Originally Posted by mooseparts
    I had no idea that this petition (http://www.jangro.com/cj-petition.php) even existed.. why aren't there 1000s of signups ? I'm confused!
    I think you just answered your own question. Most affiliates don't know about it. Many aren't vocal and would never sign a petition. Some are probably afraid that CJ will blacklist them if they complain. Many probably don't understand the impact (yet). Many don't generate enough commissions on CJ to even care.

Think about the potential audience. CJ claims to have tens of thousands of affiliates. Let's assume 80,000 just to have a number. Probably only about 5-10% generate enough to even earn a check. That's perhaps 5,000 affiliates. Out of that, probably only 1,000 generate enough that they would be concerned. To have 200 signers in just a few days with virtually no publicity is quite a statement.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I would think the number of reasonably successfull CJ affiliates would have to be a lot more than 1000. That would equal less than 1 affiliate per CJ merchant?

Maybe that many aren't getting rich off CJ, but make enough to pay the monthly mortgage or rent.
    It would be interesting if an aff manager would post about the common % of 'active' affiliates.

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    I signed the petiton, didn't even hesitate, may not always be the most vocal but damn CJ is sure making a big mess of things right now..
    If I have to pull all CJ links so be it, money is not worth losing control of my sites over..

Quote Originally Posted by Justdoit
    I signed the petiton, didn't even hesitate, may not always be the most vocal but damn CJ is sure making a big mess of things right now..
    If I have to pull all CJ links so be it, money is not worth losing control of my sites over..
    I figured if I'm being forced out of the program, without any option to make their links work, then there shouldn't be a problem with signing the petition.

I deifnitely gave them a piece of my mind - professionally that is..
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread