Working from home debate
    This is something I have had experience with over the past few months and I would love to hear the views of the abest members.

Working from home, remote positions, freelancing from home….. or whatever you want to call it. Why is the affiliate industry still so against hiring affiliate program managers who can work from home?

I don’t want to tar the entire industry with one brush, but it seems that merchants are shooting themselves in the foot by not taking advantage of current technology.

With high quality web cams, Internet messenger, VOIP, online conference calls, online meetings etc… It surely is time for merchants to start trusting in this technology a little more. My prediction is that ten years from now there will be more affiliate managers working from home than those who work in-house. The first companies to really embrace this trend will surely benefit the most.

I have been contacted seven times over the past month with people asking me to move back to the UK. One company offered a large amount of money for me to go and work and live in London. I would happily work from home for that company for a 50% pay reduction, but they said no.

I generally feel that most of us see working from home as a comfort that we are not going to give up easily, so why fight us?

My suggestions to help more people work from home:

* Someone should setup a job agency that ONLY deals with remote positions.

* Offer a 50% fixed salary and 50% performance deal. This will ensure that your staff will stay motivated.

* Utilise the stats from the networks to find out who is performing and who isn’t.

* Take advantage of services such as messenger and Skype to stay in constant contact with your staff.

If you are a merchant then I would love to hear your views on this. Are you happy to hire staff on a remote basis? if not, why not?
    Source: http://deanhunt.com/anti-work-from-home

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    > Why is the affiliate industry still so against hiring affiliate program managers who can work from home

Not really true, however I do know there are many major brands that prefer in-house relationships so they can keep an eye on you and tell you what to do, just the nature of the board room aspect of it.

But, that's been changing. Look around here, there are many of us OPMs and great affiliate managers in this industry that work with very great merchants that already see the benefits of partnering with us and not having to deal with the paperwork, taxes, insurance, etc.

Next time a merchant says they are not sure, send them here www.abestweb.com and move on to the next.

> My prediction is that ten years from now there will be more affiliate managers working from home than those who work in-house.

Totally agree. You just need to make a stand, show the benefits to merchants and be proud of your AM business.

BTW, Welcome to ABW DeanHunt

Part of the issue too, IMHO, is that if you read the job descrips posted by some companies looking for an AM, they include things that:

a) Aren't really affiliate marketing related

and

b) as such, would require more "in office" time due to their nature.

If a company wants to hire an AM, they shouldn't have a problem hiring an OPM. If however, like so many of them do, they want to hire an all encompassing e-commerce guru, which would require 300 hours a week worth of work, I can see why they'd want to staple that person to a desk.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I agree that sometimes it can be an uphill battle but is by no means ignored. Like a few others here, I'm a work at home OPM. As far as I'm concerned, that's good for my clients. I'm more likely to put in more hours when i can just walk out of my office and be with my family. I can work right up to dinner time, eat dinner and be back at work. I usually work until around 10:00 PM or so. It's easier, IMO, to put in more hours when you're still available to your family. If I had to drive to work, I certainly wouldn't work 7:00 AM to 10:00 every day.

As for "Someone should setup a job agency that ONLY deals with remote positions" check out one of my clients www.freelanceworkexchange.com. It's all freelance opportunities with members worldwide and it's growing like crazy. I believe the work-at-home market will be even bigger next year than it is this year.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

I'm not an affiliate manager but don't know why it should make a difference. From an affiliate point of view as long as I can contact my aff. mgr. by email, im or phone and the aff. mgr. has all the access to the information he needs regarding the program by being able to log in somewhere from his computer at home not sure in today's world why it should make a difference. I do know of some pretty successful affiliate managers who are working from home and it hasn't caused me any problems dealing with them. Can't comment on how their companies feel about it but know they're happy with it. Good luck

I use to work from home. Now, however, we have a office space with 8 offices in it. I PREFER to work from home. I made it comfortable and seemed more productivity from my end of things.

Thanks for your replies and thanks for the warm welcome to abestweb.

The aim of my blog is to raise such issues and create useful debates such as this one. Thanks for your input.

With a smaller company, those in charge typically see the advantages of an affiliate program and they leave the affiliate manager to run things.

With a larger company, many principals don't understand or see the value in affiliate marketing, so the affiliate manager has to do a lot of in-house "selling" of the affiliate program, press for development resources, justify the "costs", etc. That takes a lot of face time, and working at the company location can help.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I think part of it too is the corporate mindset and some lack of knowledge about this subject.

Case in I worked for a large manufacturer managing their Internet interests. I negotiated a contract with Oracle to create an e-commerce site for us. Shortly before we inked the deal, I got a new boss. He wanted to review the contract and insisted the programmers work on-site. When asked why, he replied "I want to see bodies in here working.". Even after I reminded him the contract was a fixed price for labor and we didn't need people on-site, he wouldn't change his mind. He came to check on the "bodies" exactly 1 time in 3 months. The cost of the project went up since we had all the travel expenses for the programmers, the project was delayed due to lost time for travel and I had more work to do to accomodate the programmers and project people. All that time, money and effort wasted to see "bodies" - that he saw once.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Some excellent points raised on this thread.

I think we are dealing in general with the following:

Lack of knowledge from business owners (Lack of affiliate knowledge and a lack of knowledge regarding the benefits of allowing people to work from home).

Lack of trust (Many bosses still like to micro manage their staff. This is very hard to do unless the staff are in-house.

Lack of foresight (Change is a negative word for many people. I strongly believe that there are a lot of "Old school" business men who have made a lot of money doing things "their way" and dont want to make any changes.

There will come a point where the old school business types will simply be out of touch with the modern marketplace. I genuinly feel that this era is very close.

Thanks again for your replies and I promise to add some more content to my new blog over the coming days.

Dean.

If an AM can ethically add X % to your profitability at the end of the quarter/year, it simply comes down to the fact that it does not matter where the person happens to be based.

There will come a point where the old school business types will simply be out of touch with the modern marketplace. I genuinly feel that this era is very close.
    Agreed 100%.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread