Idea: sell World Cup related merchandise
    With all the natural attention FIFA's World Cup is gonna get now, I think everyone should sell at least something related... Don't you?

I'm saying this, because I look through dozens of affiliate sites daily, and World Cup merchandise is close to nowhere to be found...

Geno

ABW Ambassador
    What's FIFA and what's World Cup?

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    Are you serious, WW? You'd rather pass on the worldwide attention to football during 1/12th of the year 2006?

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? That's a joke right? It's like the superbowl but 100 times more famous.

ABW Ambassador
    Are you serious, WW?
    I knew you'd wonder Geno, but yes I am serious. Now that you've mentioned football I've got an inkling though, although no idea about the specifics - FIFO and all. I've got some ideas about the psychology behind being a football fan, but I'm sure no one wants to hear that so I won't tell.

All I know about football is that there are some fried chicken places that run Monday night football takeout specials.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    it's not football it's soccer LOL

Tax Paying Member
    Hey fellows.........We live in the USA...........We don't know crap about what goes on in the rest of the world. It is unfortunate. We are educated by the TV networks and the "marketers". All we know about the other "football" is when there is a riot it makes the news...........Woops... Maybe that is soccer?????

Oh well----------see what I mean.

Send me some stuff to sell...............
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

It's a shame the FIFA marketing team is failing miserably in marketing the World Cup over here in the states. I think it is one of the more exciting sporting events around. I've woken up at 4 AM in past World Cups just to catch some games. And I'm not even really a soccer fan and never played more then a casual, no talent, recreational soccer game in the park.

We put up a World cup survey offer on our network a few days ago, and sent an email out to our affiliates to let them know it was up and a lot of our US affiliates weren't even aware the world cup was approaching. FIFA is really 'dropping the ball' on gaining public interest. At least here in the States they are.
    [B]Jon Lyons[/B]
    Director of Affiliate Operations
    [EMAIL="jon.lyons@fluxads.com"][SIZE=1]jon.lyons@fluxads.com[/SIZE][/EMAIL][SIZE=1] | 1-877-GO-2-FLUX | [URL="http://www.fluxads.com/"]FluxAds.com[/URL][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]LinkedIn: [URL]http://www.linkedin.com/in/jrlyons[/URL][/SIZE]

I suspect the unpopularity of soccer stems from Americans ignoring anything British for a long while in their history.

What's interesting is this is the country where the term "Soccer Mom" is coined. What do all those kids grow up playing soccer do when they become adults?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Bay
    What's interesting is this is the country where the term "Soccer Mom" is coined. What do all those kids grow up playing soccer do when they become adults?
    They move on to play the more 'popular' sports that are so hyped up here in the States. Baseball ("America's Pass-Time"), Football, Basketball, etc. Just like over in Europe, soccer is extremely more popular then football or baseball is. So most likely kids who play soccer, baseball and football in Europe, will eventually start dropping sports and stick to one, and odds are it will be soccer. I did the same here, played baseball, basketball, football, hockey growing up, and as I got to high school I narrowed it down to baseball and football and then by college it was just football. Many of my friends did likewise. I actually do know a couple guys who grew up playing soccer and went on to make it their career. One even moved to Brazil, just to play.

Soccer is not nearly as glamorized here as it is in Europe. I've also noticed, even ESPN is downplaying the World Cup which will be shown on their company stations. It's as if they really don't care about the interest and ratings.
    [B]Jon Lyons[/B]
    Director of Affiliate Operations
    [EMAIL="jon.lyons@fluxads.com"][SIZE=1]jon.lyons@fluxads.com[/SIZE][/EMAIL][SIZE=1] | 1-877-GO-2-FLUX | [URL="http://www.fluxads.com/"]FluxAds.com[/URL][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]LinkedIn: [URL]http://www.linkedin.com/in/jrlyons[/URL][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Javi
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? That's a joke right? It's like the superbowl but 100 times more famous.
    What's the superbowl?

A Dj on the radio today was talking about how stupid the game of soccer is and the World Cup. His words not mine "Soccer is the only game that ends in a tie and both teams are happy"

World cup = $$$ for me so I like soccer
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    A Dj on the radio today was talking about how stupid the game of soccer is and the World Cup. His words not mine "Soccer is the only game that ends in a tie and both teams are happy"

World cup = $$$ for me so I like soccer
    I've also heard the following, "American Football is just a wusses version of rugby."

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread