Google Spreadsheets
    http://www.google.com/googlespreadsheets/try_out.html

"Anything you do, I can do better"

Thank you...am waiting for the invitation

I got 3 invitations, and checking it out. Looks pretty slick so far, but gonna move over some MS Excel spreadsheets and see how they handle first.

Thanks Sam Bay for the posting. To me it looks like Excel which is online. Sounds great as the need to be at the same computer everyday is getting less and less. Soon we will all be able to work our jobs in our pajamas in bed!

After working with the google spreadsheets for a few days I have to say I am impressed. Nearly seamless cut and paste between excel, ability to share with others in real-time (including a built-in chat function) and a few other things make this definitely worth it. I have already found use for it.

Those that use spreadsheets will definitely find some use for google spreadsheets.

The only real issue I have with it right now is it is NOT SSL secured. Which I find strange that google would not implement this immediately since most spreadsheets usually contain financial data. Hopefully they will implement it in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by nakedgamer
    The only real issue I have with it right now is it is NOT SSL secured.
    That is an important issue!
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

As with a lot of Google toys, the question is... why?
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

One limitation I found annoying is that it only goes to 100 rows...
    Akiva Bergstrom | akiva@affsolutions.com | 718-871-8286

Affiliate Marketing Solutions by affSolutions - Creator of the Product Showcase Creator™

Managed Programs: EssentialApparel.com (Join) | SportsFanfare.com (Join)

Affiliates: Product Showcase Creator Directory | Merchants: License the Product Showcase Creator™!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    It is just a smoke and mirrors move to offer media types some freebee tool G headlines. Takes the Microsoft hating minds off track while sane folks are scratching their heads figuring out how Google can possibly make money off these so called work tools.

Real issue is all Google insiders are dumping their stock before the bubble bursts as Google refuses to address click fraud and adsense junk sites popping up by the thousands daily. How Google Is Killing the Internet By Seth Jayson (TMF Bent)
    June 9, 2006

http://www.fool.com/news/commentary/...ry06060927.htm
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by Akiva
    One limitation I found annoying is that it only goes to 100 rows...
    Actually, you can add more than 100 rows. Using the insert menu you can add rows (beyond 100) and columns.

Thank you, also. For keeping me up-to-date.

Signed up for invitation. Can't wait to try. I've been swapping spreadsheets between computers for some time now on flash drive.
    Danny K. - Network Administrator, Digital River- oneNetworkDirect.com, Email: dkautt@digitalriver.com

Quote Originally Posted by nakedgamer
    Actually, you can add more than 100 rows. Using the insert menu you can add rows (beyond 100) and columns.
    Which doesn't make it less annoying as I have various spreadsheets with hundreds of rows. In order to move them I'd have to sit and manually click insert row above a few hundred times for each spreadsheet. Copy and paste cuts off at 100 rows.

Affiliate Marketing Solutions by affSolutions - Creator of the Product Showcase Creator™

Affiliates: Product Showcase Creator Directory | Merchants: License the Product Showcase Creator™!

I figured it out. If you OPEN the file instead of pasting, it imports past row 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Akiva
    I figured it out. If you OPEN the file instead of pasting, it imports past row 100.
    Thanks for the tip
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamoo
    As with a lot of Google toys, the question is... why?
    Don't worry about why, little boy. Just enjoy the candy.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

Pretty much all of google things are toys. Gotta have toys!

There trying to tell you "Billy ain't your Daddy".

Great for non-Office people. And spreadsheets being so powerful; there will probably be many folks who will begin trying to use them once it builds awareness momentum.
    Personaly, I need every "toy" I can get, in order to stay awake while ATTEMPTING to use them darn spreadsheets. :-)
    Danny K. - Network Administrator, Digital River- oneNetworkDirect.com, Email: dkautt@digitalriver.com

Doesn't this fit into the vision that someday there will be no home computers - just a bunch of clients with the software sitting on remote servers and everything "online". via the internet...

Where did I read about that??....(darn kids wiped my brainpower today)....
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Thin clients. Thin clients have existed since the old days of when there wasn't anything but mainframes.

Couldn't the same be said about webmail?

To me there should always be options (Microsoft doesn't like to give you many if at all), and some applications lend themselves to being on the internet for sharing.

Word proccesing for example doesn't lend itself as much as a spreadsheet or collaborative software to the internet.

Also Google Spreadsheets certainly don't have all the functions and bells and whistles as most offline apps.

We also use quickbase (an online database application) because of it's ease-of-use of being online.

Keep in mind that Microsoft is trying to move towards apps being on the internet. So it's a choice eventually, do you wait for Microsoft and let them control the world still, or support a few other thinkers?

While Google Spreadsheets is a step forward in application centralization, that only works for non-processor intense applications. Data entry apps even word processing are easy to port to the web. Such applications do have their place however anything that needs more processing power will need to be done on the good ole computer.

Ahhh microsoft maybe that's what was flashing through my memory.

I do remember main frames and punch cards. First programing class and last I took was machine language (IBM370?) and the first program I wrote was to sort the cards alphabetically!!

Anyway thanks for the memory jog

(take that back it wasn't my last programing class I took a class where we learned ucsd pascal to program appleII's to do 3d animation....man I''ve alot of things...)
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Honestly, I think if you try to CHARGE (like MS wants to do, and as much) the concept will fail. We still love our independance, and I wouldn't move everything to the web no matter what.

Just like the Google Spreadsheets as I noted above it's not even SSL secured.

This week I am putting GS to the test, right now even, and seeing how it handles and does things. I love the sharing options I have to admit. The auto-save might not be the greatest idea however.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread