Adventure v Security
    I haven’t yet put up my “About me” page on my blog, so I will start this article by telling you a little more about myself.

Two years ago I moved to Madrid (Spain) with my beautiful Spanish partner (Elena). When I came here I knew two or three words in Spanish and I soon realised it would be at least 18 months before I was at the level of Spanish required to get a job here.

So my only option was to continue with my love of turning my ideas into online projects. I was in a very lucky position because Elena’s parents were very good to me and this meant I had the security to do things at my own pace.

Over the years there have been numerous instances where I have had to make the decision between following my dreams and ideas v finding a safe and secure 9 to 5 job. During the first year I barely covered my living costs and we got by on a small budget. This meant that security was my main and sole focus and this is why I perfected my SEO, marketing and affiliate management skills. However, from time to time there were opportunities where I could create or run interesting projects on a % only basis.

Over the past 12 months in particular I have been fighting between continuing to help grow my own affiliate web sites v working for people on a freelance basis/ working in-house as an affiliate manager.

So far I have managed to balance the two fairly well, but I am wondering if anyone else has had this mental battle as well? what were your priorities? which was more important to you security v your personal dreams? has this changed with age?

I am having my very own house built in sunny Madrid and this means that three weeks from now I start paying a mortgage. Due to the mortgage I made a six month freelance SEO/Marketing deal with a client and this means that four hours of my day (every day) is tied to this project for the next six months. Do you think I was right in putting security to the forefront with a mortgage on the way? or should I stick to turning my endless stream of ideas into online projects?

Do our circumstances control us or can we control our circumstances?
    Taken from my Affiliate Blog Adventure v Security

Dean,

First let me welcome you to ABW, Welcome :
    Now, I need you to understand very quickly that this forum is not to be used as a launching pad for your blog. I wish you the best, your obviously smart, but your really pushing the spam edge with the linking (ie If you wanted to introduce yourself you would do so in the appropriate forum and not link back to your blog (again)).
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I understand your concern.

My main aim is to create a useful and interesting debate. My blog is new and therefore I can't yet get answers to these questions that seem to be VERY useful for affiliates.

In future I will refrain from linking to the source of the articles. However, would it be possible to enable my account for a signature? this way I can get some benefit for my hard work and abestweb will continue to benefit from my posts.

I presume the current system allows a signature once I have reached a certain limit of posts. I understand the need for this, but surely it is more beneficial to abestweb that I continue to post useful articles, tips and debates as opposed to just giving crappy replies in order to boost my post count.

Anyway, your the boss and I look forward to hearing your reply.

Dean

Dean,

We do operate on a "quid pro quo" basis but, only once it's earned and we have these rules in place on purpose so if your not willing to contribute without a sig (link) before it is duly "earned", then, clearly, your impetus for contribution is not congruent with that of our community.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    "My main aim is to create a useful and interesting debate."

You can. You can start topics here and we can talk about them. Topics work without sigs and links.

Although it IS acceptable for Trust to point out he is mighty... He's earned it...

Well before I had sig privileges here I had plenty of clicks to my site through my profile... Stick with that for a few posts, and it will all work out.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Do you think I was right in putting security to the forefront with a mortgage on the way? or should I stick to turning my endless stream of ideas into online projects?
    Running headlong into your dreams is fine and dandy, if you don't have someone to take care of. Family responsibilites should always trump some of those risks we all want to take, especially when there's a line between feeding the kids, keeping the house, or putting up a new site.

(I'm curious as to how many ABWers might actually agree or disagree with the above?)

For me, it's a whole lot simpler: I'm single, I have no kids. If I have to, I don't mind going hungry for a few days. Any decision that I make is mine alone, and I don't have to force my failures on someone else to endure..

I'm doing both (8 hours a day in the office, 8 or more hours in the evening on my own stuff), which means I may get there a little slower, but I'll get there with a bit of my sanity intact...I think. And when it's time to let go of the anchor job, I'll do so without ever looking back.

Either way, good luck!
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

Congrats to you!

Seems you are one who is interested in molding his world to himself as opposed to the opposite.

Don't think about the 9 to 5...I think you might be past that level (opinion).

Live the experience and it will speak for itself. The truth is universal.

If you ever get a chance, do tell me about those flamingo dancers....Always wanted to see that, maybe someday will.

You know Jane was gonna go to Spain once she got some money saved...

Still out of protest Im gonna wait before viewing your blog...lol....cheers

Congrats to you!

Seems you are one who is interested in molding his world to himself as opposed to the opposite.
    Thanks for the kind words.

Still out of protest Im gonna wait before viewing your blog...lol....cheers
    haha, no problem.

Thanks for the replies guys. These are the sorts of answers I was looking for.

Canadienne extraordinaire Susan's Avatar
    Hiya Dean,

Welcome (albeit to a bit of a rough start), looking forward to reading more about you and what you have to offer :-)

Cheers,
    Susan Arts
    Senior Vice President, Marketing
    Moxy Media

Hiya Dean,

Welcome (albeit to a bit of a rough start), looking forward to reading more about you and what you have to offer :-)
    Many thanks.

It sure was a rough start, but I own a forum and would have done the same. The problem as an admin is that it is very hard to tell who is spamming and who is providing valuable content but wants recognition for that work.

Hopefully I can prove myself to the mods on here and maybe one day I will get my sig

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread