What is the likely cause of ...
    ... water in your refrigerator?

My refrigerator came with my Co-op when I bought it 8 years ago.
    It's always been great.

The refrigerator never needed defrosting -- it was a do-it-itself type of refrigerator.

The other day I noticed water at the bottom of the refrigerator and thought one of my spring water bottles had leaked or something ... but after I've cleaned up the water, the water accumulates again (into a shallow pool).

The superintendent took a look at it and "lowered" the temperature (9 being highest/coldest, 1 being lowest/warm) to a temperature where my milk got warm

I think there's something wrong but I just can't pinpoint it

I'm wondering if I need a new refrigerator?

Is there an affiliate program for refrigerators?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Is there an affiliate program for refrigerators?
    I think Sears and Best Buy both sell fridges. There are probably others, but those are the two that come to mind.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I think Sears and Best Buy both sell fridges. There are probably others, but those are the two that come to mind.
    Thanks
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I just did a search on "water accumulating in refrigerator" and here were a couple useful links:

http://www.repairclinic.com/0088_4_1.asp#Level1_8
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/?qid=1006052428496

Based on those, it sounds like it might be a clogged up drain hose. There are other possibilities mentioned, too.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I just did a search on "water accumulating in refrigerator" and here were a couple useful links:

http://www.repairclinic.com/0088_4_1.asp#Level1_8
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/?qid=1006052428496

Based on those, it sounds like it might be a clogged up drain hose. There are other possibilities mentioned, too.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate your help.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Ours does that at the beginning of summer until I figure out the perfect adjustment between the freezer temp and the refridgerator temp. There's some perfect balance that keeps the old girl from condensing into the fridge.

Best Buy is actually having an appliance sale this week. Free shipping, etc.

Thanks for the info, Judi

2006 is the year that all mechanical things in my home go awry

The pipe that connects the water from the bathroom of the apartment above me to mine had an inch diameter leak in it and caused havok in "my line" of apartments. At one point the Super was pretty close to having an attitude that I shouldn't take a shower, the whole problem (of the apartment below getting unwanted water in the bathroom) was being blamed on me

One morning I saw water and suds streaming down my shower and I threw on some clothes because I wanted to get the Super.
    It was funny, the Lady from below me appeared exactly at that moment at my door and asked, "Did you just take a shower?"
    "No," I replied but the apartment above me is taking one now -- come look in my bathroom."

Plus I gave her a tour of my kitchen since about the same time I had been accused of having a dishwasher: I said, "Check it out, there is no dishwasher in my kitchen."

Well, at least it wasn't just me The Super had to solve the problem creatively.

Now it's the refrigerator -- I don't want to know if something else will go wrong
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    OMG, OMG

If I ever had thoughts of getting an apartment...they are GONE!

At one point the Super was pretty close to having an attitude that I shouldn't take a shower,
    I had been accused of having a dishwasher
    It's attitudes like these that caused some of my j*bs to come to a quick end...and you have to LIVE in it?!

How can you ever stand it?

My aunt has an apartment, and she had a leaky shower. But, they didn't tell her not to shower! They put in a shower liner. Maybe they knew she'd go ballistic if they made any kooky suggestions

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Water on the outside of fridge in my experience is condensation. That usually happens in the summer when it's hot and humid.

Water inside the fridge has happened to me too. Turned out it was damage to the gasket around the fridge door. Fortunately this is a relatively cheap repair. Check your gasket to see if it's sealing the door properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    It's attitudes like these that caused some of my j*bs to come to a quick end...and you have to LIVE in it?!

How can you ever stand it?
    It could be worse.

There is one resident who has created a stench on the entire floor her apartment inhabits because she "adopted" 4 or 5 stray alley cats (without fixing them/I don't think she took them to the vet either) and she keeps them in her apartment.
    Her apartment is near the elevator so anyone who gets off the elevator at that floor can take a whiff.
    Her adjacent neighbor complains to me about the problems all the time (as if I could do something about it).

I thank my lucky stars I don't live on her floor, right above her, or right below her

Other than that, the building I live in is in a fantastic strategic location, everyone wants to live here
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

OOOPS just realized was an old POST, LOL GethsemeneRose's Avatar
    What Rhea said about the gasket is the NUMBER 2 cause of water inside a fridge (number one cause is 4 year olds spilling thier drinks inside the fridge) The number one cause can only be fixed by waiting a few years. The gasket however can be easily replaced.
    :gnome: [URL]www.gethsemenerose.com[/URL] :gnome: As for me and my SITE we shall serve the LORD!

My moms does this but it is from the drain in the freezer plugging up...I never checked to see if there was one on the fridge side. Pretty easy to fix yourself. I used some narrow flexible tubing and gently rodded it out abit. Seemed to work.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Thanks everyone

Looks as if I'll have to get down and dirty with the refrigerator
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Remodel the kitchen?
    I dread this because it means putting all my belongings into boxes (where will I get the boxes?) and trying to find a place for my dining room furniture; all I really wanted was a new refrigerator but during dinner my father suggested that I should remodel the entire kitchen (especially since the oven is broken and one cabinet seems to be almost falling off the hinges)

My oven broke 6 years ago: I smelled gas when I came home from work one night. I called Con-Ed and they came over and permanently shut off the gas to my wall oven.

I bought myself a toaster oven and have been living off of that for 6 years

I think my kitchen was the original that came with the apartments when the building was first built.

I don't like shuffling my things around -- it's like moving.

The kitchen looks old: in theory it could use new cabinets, a new stove, and a new refrigerator but I dread getting my apartment ready for the workmen. They'll need to keep their tools in my dining room and I'll need to shift things around.

I'm not looking forward to the process, but the results will be great.

Any advice/ideas/tips?
    Last edited by Rhia7; June 10th, 2006 at 02:18 AM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    I dread this because it means putting all my belongings into boxes (where will I get the boxes?) and trying to find a place for my dining room furniture; all I really wanted was a new refrigerator but during dinner my father suggested that I should remodel the entire kitchen (especially since the oven is broken and one cabinet seems to be almost falling off the hinges)

My oven broke 6 years ago: I smelled gas when I came home from work one night. I called Con-Ed and they came over and permanently shut off the gas to my wall oven.

I bought myself a toaster oven and have been living off of that for 6 years

I think my kitchen was the original that came with the apartments when the building was first built.

I don't like shuffling my things around -- it's like moving.

The kitchen looks old: in theory it could use new cabinets, a new stove, and a new refrigerator but I dread getting my apartment ready for the workmen. They'll need to keep their tools in my dining room and I'll need to shift things around.

I'm not looking forward to the process, but the results will be great.

Any advice/ideas/tips?
    No, it sounds like you've got a handle on things now. The hard part is getting the landlords to actually get some work done!

I'm still renting, but not for much longer. I'm getting to that point where I need some control over where I live - and I need a huge backyard so I can finally adopt a few of man's best friends'
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread