I have a site that that has been pretty slow, but this month I've had 13 sales from 151 clicks, but NO IMPRESSIONS. How can I be getting sales if there are no impressions?

ABW Ambassador
    Is the 1x1 graphic intact on all your links?

ABW Ambassador

I'd be very surprised too, but, like Cedric stated, either the 1x1 pixel is not present on your site OR there's Tom Foolery at the helm again.

[ 08-19-2002: Message edited by: Cyclone ]

ABW Ambassador
    LOL - I have the exact opposite problem -
    A 10% click thru rate with 783 clicks on 7,887 impressions and........ 0 sales.

I'l trade problems with you

Stupid question, but how do I find that 1x1 pixel? I'm looking at the html code and don't see it (yes, that may well be the problem).

Thanks all for your help.

ABW Ambassador
    The 1x1 is there whenever you generate the code for the link and you have to copy and paste it along with the href... this MAY not be the case for banners (I'm not sure as I don't generally use banners). But if you're using text links, you definitely need the 1x1 to track impressions.

ABW Ambassador
    Also, in an attempt to head off your next possible question . . .

YES . . . you DO need to use the 1x1 image, and for more reasons than your own.

I forget which thread it came up in, but Todd, our illustrious, though sometimes ellusive, CJ representative, stated clear as day that is IS a requirement of the CJ Network that this DEFINITELY MUST be used, no matter what, no ifs, ands, or butts . . . [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[ 08-19-2002: Message edited by: Cyclone ]

ABW Ambassador
    Okay, I just checked a couple of banners and they don't have the 1x1 (wouldn't need them because the banner serves as the impression) -- but if you happen to deliver banners from your own site (I know some folks do this to address load time issues), there would be no means of tracking impressions.

The 1x1 code looks like

Thanks all. I discovered that about half of my CJ links don't have the 1x1 pixel.

HOWEVER, that does not explain why the other half are not showing any impressions at all. I show a big fat ZERO for impressions for this month and can't figure out for the life of my why that is if those pages are being viewed, which they are.

Obviously I can no longer blindly put code on my sites without making sure this is there.

ABW Ambassador
    Cedric, Hailo and others,

There is a section in "The best Posts..." that newbies will look at that suggests the 1x1 pixel is NOT NEEDED.

I myself read under the "linkshare help section" that they could be removed but after poor sales, I figured something was up. I put them back in every chance I got and started seeing more sales. May be coincidental but I'm sure not gonna take them out.

The vendor in most cases tell you... Do not alter the code and doing so may effect your commision.

Obviously, some of the vendors will track sales correctly without the 1x1 pixel. The problem is there is no definitive list of which merchants that will track correctly without the 1x1 pixel.

Bottom line, if there is a post somewhere that says you definately need them, the section with "The best posts should be updated." We may have some people taking them out and possibly shooting themselves in the foot.

ABW Ambassador
    Personally I can't see that the 1x1 has anything to do with tracking sales - tha't handled by the cookie placed on the buyer's PC by the merchant.

The Networks want you to use the 1x1 so that they can quote the impression figures to prospective new merchant clients.

If the network / merchant sees no evidence of impressions they may use this as a reason / excuse to reverse your sales. Afterall - how can you have any clicks / sales without any impressions?

Just my 2C [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    >>There is a section in "The best Posts..." that newbies will look at that suggests the 1x1 pixel is NOT NEEDED.<<

It's not needed to track sales. It is needed to track impressions.

Removing it IS an alteration of the provided code and you do so at your own peril. Many people have experienced no ill effects removing it. That does NOT mean that peril does not exist.

There doesn't seem to be any benefits to removing the 1x1 graphics. So why bother to take the out since that can possibly cause a problem of tracking the sales. I simply leave them in.

For discount long distance, callback and other telecom service deals please visit http://www.seymourab.4t.com

If you use the eBay flexible link generator, it does not add the 1x1 tracking image. The links themselves do track, however.

If CJ wants this image to be used, they should prohibit merchants from generating code without it. It would be a real nightmare to go back and retrofit the image into all of the links I've generated.

I'm sure the 1x1 is mostly to track the number of impressions, as CJ must use this to entice new merchants into the network. All of my links have the image except for the eBay links.

Andy

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread