Adwords - My position is low in the mornings...
    Sorry if this question is a bit obvious, but I haven't really figured out a way to deal with it. I've only been using Adwords for a few short months.

Here's the deal, in the after-midnight hours up until roughly 10am or so, my Adwords ad usually finds itself in a lower position than the average. For instance, my average is roughly 7, where during those hours, it usually drops to about 13 or 14.

Aside from increasing my bids, is there another way to have my ad appear in the higher positions during those hours? Am I missing something obvious?

I feel like I might be missing on out some good sales during these times, and want to try to take advantage of it if possible.

Have you run into something similar? If so, what do you do to get around it, if there's anything to do at all.

Thanks!
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

ABW Ambassador
    my "guess" would be that for some reason your competition feels that time period is best for them and by using bid management tools that automatically day-part they are pushing you down.

ABW Ambassador
    MoneyBusiness,

I have not noticed a huge variance in my ad positions over the period of a day but I have found that I can increase the standing (without increasing my bids) based on the ad copy. For example: If the ad is for "widgets" and the key words are relating to "spinning green widgets", I will make sure that the keywords are included (exactly) in the copy like: "Spinning Green widgets - free delivery".

As you no doubt already know, it seems that being too high in the results can hurt you too so it seems to be a delicate dance.

Could it be that at midnight, everyones daily campaign budget restarts at $0.00 so you are suddenly competing with a whole lot more ads?

my "guess" would be that for some reason your competition feels that time period is best for them and by using bid management tools that automatically day-part they are pushing you down.
    Interesting. I didn't consider that. I thought maybe it was just the way the Adwords system worked - based on traffic/clicks.

I'll look into that today, see if maybe there's a way to get around what you mentioned.

Thanks Adam.
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianDave
    Could it be that at midnight, everyones daily campaign budget restarts at $0.00 so you are suddenly competing with a whole lot more ads?
    Could be. Aside from the earlier suggestion, it sounds plausible that my ads are being bumped back b/c daily budgets are renewed.

I'm going to do some tinkering tonight, to see what I can do to get it up there, and to stay up there, aside from paying anymore than a dollar or so a click..

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Between new position preference settings and spend speed settings, your competitors are bumping you early and then running out of steam as the day goes by.

You can use pos pref and budget pacing (as they are) to counter it, get dayparting software or work on your CTR to rise above the clowns.

I do the latter, but I'm a mutant.

The budget pacing should be fine right now (around a hundred a day which covers it liberally), which allows me to show for most, if not all, of the day.

The position preference, on the other hand, I have not touched. I don't know why, but for whatever reason, it left a bad taste in my mouth when it was initially released. Just one of those wierd things..But I will look into it tonight. If it'll keep me in 7-10 without going much over a dollar/click, I'll be happy!

I don't even know what Dayparting software is (I'm guessing it allows for more control throughout the day) - see, I'm green (guess I have some reading to do)

Thanks!

It's probably competitors who aren't bidding very intelligently. It sounds like some of your competitors have high bids and low daily budgets, so they're blowing their budget early in the day and disappearing for the rest of the day.

Take a look at the ads shown in the morning and the evening and it should be a bit more obvious.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Take a look at the ads shown in the morning and the evening and it should be a bit more obvious.
    Good point. I'll take note of who's showing during those times. It'll be interesting to see what comes up. Thanks Michael.

Thanks for the link!

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread