Metrics, tracking, blah blah -- as an affiliate
    Hi all --

I'm not really new to affiliate marketing, but this seemed like the best place to post this question.

I'm getting increasingly frustrated at my own inability to work out some way of measuring my site's performance, which is all affiliate stuff.

Like most merchants, my main affiliate retailers cannot give me statistics on which click-throughs led to sales. In fact, with my biggest and most important partner, I can't even tell what sold at present, not even in a general way. I can only tell how much the items cost and what my commission was.

Google analytics seems like a powerful tool, but its funnel process etc. appears to be unusable if you're an affiliate ... since you can't track the final sales pages.

There must be SOMETHING I can do to improve and measure my site's performance, but as an affiliate I find it darn hard. Really darn hard.

Can someone suggest any reading/blogs/articles/genius suggestions off the top of your own head??

A LOT of financial activity on the web is affiliate generated. Someone MUST be addressing this issue somewhere, right ... ?

- blake

ABW Ambassador
    "Like most merchants, my main affiliate retailers cannot give me statistics on which click-throughs led to sales"

As far as that the networks usually have something for that.

CJ has SID which you can add to links if the merchant has that enabled.

SAS has afftrack which you use for your links, will tell you what link led to the sale. They also will tell you what page the sale came from most of the time

LS and Performics has some of that too, I've never tried it with those.

Also the thing about LS is you can have a simple text link to the home page and if somebody buys something, they have reports telling you exactly what they bought. That's something CJ, SAS, Performics don't have.

Hi, this is good information, thanks.

I left some important information out of my original post. I'm talking about affiliate marketing with datafeeds. I'm not sure how CJ's SID works but I never paid close attention because I know all my links would be coming from a datafeed, rather than "a link from the home page, a link from the blue widgets page ..." I assume SIDs are designed for the latter, unless affiliates are encouraged to create an individual SID for each datafeed product? I dunno.

At any rate, my biggest partner has their own affiliate network and I believe they have a SID-style capability but again it seems like that is not designed for datafeeds.

Thanks again for your reply, I have a feeling it will help a lot of people implement a little more tracking.

If anyone has some wisdom to share on adding tracking to affiliate datafeeds, I'd greatly appreciate it.
    Last edited by blakekri; June 7th, 2006 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    "

SAS has afftrack which you use for your links, will tell you what link led to the sale. They also will tell you what page the sale came from most of the time
    I didn't know about afftrack.

Where can I find more information about using afftrack with SAS?

Thanks.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    It's in the help topics after you log into SAS:

Using Affiliate Defined Tracking

You can use the afftrack= portion of your link code to include affiliate defined tracking strings. Enter your tracking variable immediately after the afftrack= portion of your link code. This tracking variable will be echoed back to you in the Activity Details Report. The tracking string must be alphanumeric, and can not contain any spaces or special characters. There is a 255 character limit. If you are using the "Shortest Code Available", Email Links or Product Links, you may need to add the afftrack= wording to your link code.

A sample link would look like this:

http://www.shareasale.com/r.cfm?B=70&U=XXXX&M=47

Where the XXXX is replaced with your Affiliate ID number.

You can add the afftrack= parameter to this code along with your tracking string. The tracking string must be alphanumeric, and can not contain any spaces or special characters. If your tracking string is "123ABC", then your new link would look like this:

http://www.shareasale.com/r.cfm?B=70...fftrack=123ABC

The afftrack= parameter may already be in your link - be sure to use the existing one and not to add an additional one.

Last Updated: 01/24/2006

Quote Originally Posted by blakekri
    If anyone has some wisdom to share on adding tracking to affiliate datafeeds, I'd greatly appreciate it.
    It depends on how you are using the feeds, but it is really just a matter of adding ?SID=[whatever-you-want-to-track-here]. If you are using a scripting language you can just simply append the SID to the url.
    - I am not young enough to know everything

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread