Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Legacy Link Use Extended...
    Just thought I would start this as its own thread.:

We recently announced the release of the Link Management Initiative (LMI) planned for June 23, 2006. While the changes introduced by this initiative deliver considerable benefits, we understand some of our clients may need more time to plan for and implement the required changes. As your partner in affiliate marketing, Commission Junction is therefore extending the availability of Legacy links to all our publishers in the CJ Marketplace.

On June 23, 2006, JavaScript links will become Commission Junction’s default link type. However, we will continue to offer Legacy links through the beginning of 2007. The Legacy links will be available for all your advertiser relationships, including those joined to before and after June 23, 2006. Although you will have the option to use Legacy links, we encourage you to start using our new JavaScript links to take advantage of the benefits planned as part of the LMI. At this time we have not scheduled a date for which the Legacy links will no longer be available or supported. We will notify you at least six months in advance of making this change and will not require the change during the 2006 holiday season.

Please check our online FAQs frequently, as they will be updated with more details and links to other documentation on the changes introduced with the LMI, including:
    # JavaScript Link support
    # An improved Keyword Link page
    # New E-mail Links

We are confident that the features delivered with the LMI will provide long-term opportunity and success for your program. We recommend taking the additional time provided to understand the changes and continue to build sustainable relationships in the CJ Marketplace.

Of course, I would like to see the legacy links last indefinitely, but working through Q4 is something.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Best news I've heard all week. Thank you Kea!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    Based on that, not much has changed. Right now they're saying beginning 2007 we still have to switch out all our links to the javascript.

15 years and counting
    It's not good news. The only good news is to offer us a CHOICE.

It's almost like a bargaining game going on...we push, they push back but give a little. Back n forth... Choice is definitely something I'd like to see as the end result of this haggling.
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

ABW Ambassador
    The only thing that really changed is that you can use the regular html links for new merchants joining after June 23rd. So throw those new merchants up and you'll still have to switch them out to javascript. And on June 23rd, the javascript links are already going to be the default link for all merchants. So that's still their plan at this point, javascript links for everybody.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    It's not good news. The only good news is to offer us a CHOICE.
    True Zeus but not having to change up my entire site before Q4 makes me somewhat relieved.

And they're seeing this is a big problem so maybe they'll cut us some slack and realize more what a fool mistake it is to insist on JS links before they cut us out of a CJ partnership altogether.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

It's a small step in the right direction, but it's not enough.

I've said it over and over again and I will say it again: I will never change all of my affiliate text links to JavaScript links!

Whether the forced change to JavaScript happens this month, next month, six months from now, or in 2007, the end result is the same.

My strategy will remain the same, as long as CJ continues to say that all web-based links must be changed to JavaScript at some point in the future. I will not pursue new initiatives with CJ merchants. I will not add new CJ merchants. I will actively swap links out for CJ merchants that are available on other networks. I will actively encourage merchants to switch networks. Once JavaScript links are required, I will remove any remaining merchants.

JavaScript will not work for most things on my sites, and I will not allow myself to be put in a position where my income will be jeopardized when CJ does make the change.

P.S. This change is very minor. They had already said that they wouldn't require links to be changed for at least six months (probably Q1 2007). They already said that we would have options on existing merchants during that time. The only thing this change really affects is new merchant relationships.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

It is good to see they are listening. Let them roll out the new JS links and we'll all be able to test and decide if it will work for us or not. But at least their ears are open...
    Akiva Bergstrom | akiva@affsolutions.com | 718-871-8286

Affiliate Marketing Solutions by affSolutions - Creator of the Product Showcase Creator™

Managed Programs: EssentialApparel.com (Join) | SportsFanfare.com (Join)

Affiliates: Product Showcase Creator Directory | Merchants: License the Product Showcase Creator™!

"we encourage you to start using our new JavaScript links to take advantage of the benefits "

???
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

It's almost what I wanted to hear but not quite... I want Legacy Links forever.

I do not intend to use java links. I've seen plenty of times my google links, or java ebay links sit there with a little "no page" background. It might end my relationship with CJ, but I've got three other affiliate progams I'll prioritize.

ABW Ambassador
    "we will continue to offer Legacy links through the beginning of 2007."

"The Legacy links will be available for all your advertiser relationships, including those joined to before and after June 23, 2006."

"We will notify you at least six months in advance of making this change and will not require the change during the 2006 holiday season."

Let the best links win!

to CJ:

ABW Ambassador
    ? So what I said is correct. That was always the plan, only thing that changed is html for new merchant too. Until early 2007.

I feel so much better now.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    ? So what I said is correct. That was always the plan, only thing that changed is html for new merchant too. Until early 2007.
    No. It says "through", not "until". They don't have an official date as to when.

However, the recent change allows the js links to compete with html links for awhile. That is only what I'm asking.

If the js links turn out to be superior, I wouldn't be against it. But let the damn thing prove itself first.

See CJ you can't run over the very people who make your company what it is. Back down rover, that's enough barking.

we encourage you to start using our new JavaScript links to take advantage of the benefits planned as part of the LMI. .....

No I will not...
    Need eBooks ? [URL=http://www.softebooks.com]We gott'em[/URL]:escape:<br>

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by apex-auctions
    No I will not...
    come on?! we haven't even seen the js links yet. I will wait for them to come out before commenting.

But right now, my plan is to make html links.

Let's just all pray that during the time that both types of links are possible, CJ will actually monitor and if it's not working, dump it. What's the point if it's not working? Hopefully it's not going to be another LS Analytics deal. "we'll keep fixing it until it works right, even if it takes forever".

the changes introduced by this initiative deliver considerable benefits for Commission Junction
    I'm still waiting to hear of ONE benefit for the affiliate. "Future-proof" is about as meaningless as "paradigm-shift" or "team synergy."

Quote Originally Posted by waytogo
    come on?! we haven't even seen the js links yet. I will wait for them to come out before commenting.

But right now, my plan is to make html links.

The way things get... for the lack of better words "upgraded" I will stick with what I already have.....
    Need eBooks ? [URL=http://www.softebooks.com]We gott'em[/URL]:escape:<br>

"we haven't even seen the js links yet. I will wait for them to come out before commenting"

They are javascript. In relation to most of the concerns that most of us have, that is all we need to know.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

ABW Ambassador
    Ditto what No Wires said.

Even if by some miracle the JS loads faster than regular links ... ditto.

ABW Ambassador
    It seems like the word javascript is what you're just up against. It's not.

The three points of concern here is
    1. loading time
    2. non-customizable links
    3. too much work involved in replacing all links.

I think all of the above can be addressed by making the js link as an option only, not as a total replacement.

But to suppress a new trick just because it's a new one is something i disagree. i go for testing it, then if it's not effective, junk it.

who knows? we might earn more money with it, with less work.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast