Slow Month? Or is it just me?
    Seem to be having a real downward slump in overall sales / clicks this month..
    please tell me it's just that it's summer and it's not just me.

Between the slump and the CJ thing, I'm feeling a little discouraged.

15 years and counting
    It's not just you. Depending on what you're selling, summer months are quite slow. But there's more than a seasonal problem, it seems people are waiting up to the last minute to buy. I should be doing a killing for Father's day. I've the traffic but sales are slow. Ground shipping is going to be over for many of my merchants and I'm still waiting for my sales to take off.

ABW Ambassador
    It's summer.

Slow for me too... I had a couple sales but nothing big, and traffics slow... Hope we do well on Fathers Day like Zeus plans.

Thanks everyone.

I guess I'll start focusing on the holiday season and quit worrying about todays traffic.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Wow - I could write a book on this one!
    In 33 years of marketing and sales, the answer has been the same and always will be...

Depending on the products or services you are marketing, yes - summer is sometimes a painfully slow time. Especially July & August

On the other hand, certain products are somewhat resistant to seasonal slowness. For instance, an online matching service we own tends to slow down in summer as more folks are out and about, spending less time online. Yet, our online pharmacy does a whopping summer business with E.D., Birth control and STD products during the summer.

For as long as I can remember summer months have always been slow for many products. So I'd suggest concentrating on featuring products that are "season resistent" during summer months. (in other words, things people partake in regularly regardless of the season).

On the other hand, if you plan your budget a year at a time, knowing that summer is going to slow up - you should accrue (hold) extra capital from non summer sales and then in the slow months you can increase your advertising and promotion expenses to somewhat minimize the slow down periods.

Though promotion costs needed to take up the slack (for seasonal slow products) are higher than other months, if we look at the long term value of a customer, the extra expenditure on promotion during slow months is worth it.

One thing we know for sure doesn't slow down during the summer..... and yep, I'd bet you know what it is.

Hang in there and in the fall things should return to more of what you want. In the meantime, look into maybe featuring some hot selling summer products.

Best Regards

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread