FrontPage is it any good
    hi all
    just got frontpage, is it good enough to build my affiliate sites
    thanks kev

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Yes it is Kev. Many of us use it. Don't at all feel like you're cheating - it's "working smarter, not harder." :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

hi roxanne
    hi roxanne
    thanks for that, i am so frustrated i just want to get on the net in the fastest way poss.

you know whats it like, i just want to do it! but then bang, the learning curve jumps up and hits u in the face and it then takes hours to find the answer to a simple question that you might have re the software i am using.

thanks again

cheers kev

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kev
    hi roxanne
    thanks for that, i am so frustrated i just want to get on the net in the fastest way poss.

you know whats it like, i just want to do it! but then bang, the learning curve jumps up and hits u in the face and it then takes hours to find the answer to a simple question that you might have re the software i am using.

thanks again

cheers kev
    Kev, you're very welcome.

If you have a Frontpage question, post it here. If I know the answer, I'll be happy to help and others here could help, too.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

kev
    I definitely agree with Rexanne I had learned the html (well...not completely lol still learning more ) then my husband gave me Frontpage. Made it a little confusing at first to me cos I was used to doing things just with the html and things seemed backwards to me. lol FP is really great though. I still have a long way to go with learning all you can do with it but a lot of the things are so much faster than taking the time doing it wil html. I think some of the best features it has is making forms like Contact Us pages and love the photo gallery part of it for showing pictures It really does help to know a little bit of html probably though. Least that's what I've found when I want something a certain way but can't quite get it that way using FP. Very possible once you learn more about FP you're able to do it but I haven't learned enough yet.
    Pssst. Rexanne is one of the very nice people here who helps answering the rest of our questions I felt a bit like a dummy before asking questions, but you'll find most people are very helpful and don't make you feel like a dummy at all for asking the questions A lot of people here really know what they're doing.
    As for being frustrated....definitely know that feeling. lol I started knowing absolutely nothing. Never had even seen a computer before getting one and duh??? couldn't even figure out when typing how to get to the next line. lol Everything seems a bit overwhelming at first just because it's all new but you'll be surprised how quickly you'll get going on things I definitely don't possess a lot in the patience department but soon you won't feel as frustrated with things and things will happen quicker Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by kev
    hi roxanne

thanks again

cheers kev
    I've been down that road several times. Try not to let these limitations hold you back, though, b/c it's easy to let them overwhelm you (I can tell you're a little frustrated). At one point it's fun, and the next, it becomes more aggrivating (and a job) than fun. At that point, it's easy to quit - which I've done more times than I'd like to admit...

Stick with the learning though, and that information will be more of an investment than you can imagine right now...

Like Rexanne said, feel free to ask questions. I and everyone else will try to help make the learning a bit smoother if possible..

Good luck Kev!
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

hi to you all, rexanne, purplebear, moneybusiness,
    thank you very much.
    i will be popping in quite reguarly i think. as i said my main goal at the moment is to just get a small site online and then start writing content for it.

yes you are all right, frustration can get the better of you sometimes... but after i suck in the big O, im ready togo again.

i will keep you all posted
    talk to you soon
    cheers kev

Affiliate Network Rep
    Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in....

I've used frontpage numerous times to make websites, and I've found it very user-friendly. The end product looks great, and its a lot less of a hassle.

I would defintely recommend using it.

As a professional web designer I tend to disagree. Although FP is "easy to use" it does NOT follow basic web standards, I do admit it is not as bad as it used to be (frontpage 98) but it stilll isn't standards complient which keeps me from recommending it. Not having standards complient code may just mean that many of your visitors will not see your webpages correctly if using browsers other then IE (Firefox, Opera, Safari, etc.) Not to mention we will not be seeing anymore of FrontPage with the release of Office 2007.

Jeremy Jones wrote an article on oreillynet called "Giving FrontPage the boot". This article details his 1st encounter with FrontPage and the issues he had with it. It maybe a good read if you want to see the true learning curve.

Theirs an old saying in the professional web dev community I feel still holds true here "Friends don't let friends use FrontPage. The only users who can produce reasonably browser-independent pages with FrontPage are quite capable of doing a better job by hand."

I don't even use HTML/XHTML anymore unless I'm making a table. I tend to make pure CSS layouts, I find them faster and easier to properly modify and maintain.

fyi, ebay is a great place to buy frontpage. i picked up a full 2003 version a year or two ago for about $20. pretty sure it was legit too.

I've owned an original lic before MS bought the code and re-pimped it and it's only gotten better and easier. I love it for the functionality, while knowing the limitations and quirks.

If your starting out though ... get the html cheat sheet and refer to that as you type away.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Although I have used Frontpage since it first came out, I've finally moved completely to Dreamweaver. FP is easy, but you really don't know what is going on behind the scenes.

May I make a suggestion? Get a good HTML editor and buy yourself a web tempate (or their are plenty of free ones out there) and experiment. You can get a pretty nifty looking site in no time and learn HTML coding in the process.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I've produced over 200 FP web sites for clients and find it frees you up to be creative. Never used any of the built in mundane templates as their a great ones available online. Knowledge of basic HTML, CSS and web art tools is necessary for any real project. I like it cause the clients can easily take over day to day edits and maintenance.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread