Using AJAX and maintaining Unique URLs
    Anybody working with AJAX yet? How do you work around the unique URL problem? Just about every page that contains product information should be indexable, but when you start throwing AJAX in the mix you start creating un-indexable URLs. I think maybe a dual-loading URL where the href maintains the static URL while the onClick event returns false to prevent the user from loading the entire static URL. At least that way you speed up the interface for your users and you maintain your search engine compatibility. But then you have to consider your visitors after they make that AJAX click. What if they want to share the page with friends, the URL won't be right. Google Maps has a link that says "Link to this page" but how many people will know to use it?

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Scott, yeah, I'm working with AJAX. This issue comes with the turf. You can't have non-refreshing browsers AND a nice unique URL with each state of a page.

The permanent URL or "link to this page" solution I think is what's needed, and as people get more used to this "new web" they'll start to get it.

My short-term strategy is to not over-use AJAX and only use it in cases where I want to allow functionality that isn't enough to justify a whole new spiderable page. Or, if it does, ensure that there's a plain-url path to that page for spiders.

The thing about spiders is that, for now at least, they act like a user without Javascript enabled. It seems to me that if you design your site such that plain urls and browser refreshes are used for non-JS users to get the same functionality that JS-enabled users are getting, then that also takes care of the indexable url problem.

Essentially, you should be able to turn off Javascript and get the same or similar functionality.

I haven't read up much yet on making AJAX-enabled sites accessible to Javascript-less users, but I have seen articles about it.

Hi Scott,

I'd thought about this extensively when I produced my first AJAX eBay/Google Maps mashup last October.

IMHO, a site should either be a complete AJAX showcase or it should only have AJAX selectively applied for usability (w/ consideration to seo implications). Attempts for AJAX coolness and SEO may end up being a Homer.

For my mashup, I decided on a one page site to fully showcase the AJAX. (Fresh) content, like "Today's top widgets..." were also added to keep the search engines interested. It turned out well and the publicity/inbound links got me an initial PR6. Once the PR was in place, I'd expanded the site out (static links) to the first level categories, about 100 pages.

Tuan
    [url="http://www.wholesaler.com"]Wholesaler.com[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by sjangro
    Essentially, you should be able to turn off Javascript and get the same or similar functionality.
    Exactly. With the percent of users who have JavaScript disabled, degradablity is important for essential functions. I also plan on having a <noscript> </noscript> section explaining that additional functionality if JavaScript is enabled. (Taun has a good point, too. Some stuff just can't be easily degraded, so sometimes it's necessary to have AJAX-only pages.)

While researching this for the stuff I have planned, I found this very helpful article:

The Hows and Whys of Degradable AJAX @ ParticleTree.com
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

That's the article I read, Michael, thanks. This time I'll save it.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    While researching this for the stuff I have planned, I found this very helpful article:

The Hows and Whys of Degradable AJAX @ ParticleTree.com
    Very nice article Michael. I just read through it and he made a couple points that I hadn't considered like maintaining the "Back" button functionality and not using clickable div's. AJAX really isn't anything new and implementing it isn't very difficult, but it can be a logistical nightmare when you consider your audience. He was mostly talking about maintaining degradable AJAX for users who may not have Javascript enabled, but it's an entirely different beast considering search engine bots. His point that using input boxes works as well as href's is valid for users, but not bots. So in a way we're limited to only href onClicks. Of course this isn't a problem for sections of your site that only registered users can access..

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Yeah, SEO throws in a new twist. You really only want the search engines to pick up the main variations, not everything. If they pick up too much, you risk duplicate content penalties.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread